GA DNR Proposed & Finalized Firearms Either-Sex Days 2017-18 Map - March/July 2017

BornToHuntAndFish

GA DNR Proposed & Finalized Firearms Either-Sex Days 2017-18 Map - March/July 2017

:fine:

New 2017 Georgia Deer Hunting updates . . .

http://www.gon.com/hunting/2017-2018-guide-to-ga-hunting-season-dates

2017-2018 Guide To GA Hunting Season Dates

JULY 3, 2017

Deer Seasons

Archery Sept. 9 – Jan. 14

Extended Archery Sept. 9 – Jan. 31
(Atlanta suburbs only)

Youth/Prim. Weapons Oct. 14-Jan. 14

Firearms Oct. 21-Jan. 14

2017 GA Deer Doe Days Map GON.jpg

OR

http://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/regulations

General Hunting Regulations

- 2017-2018 Major Changes

- Seasons & Dates

- Deer Either-Sex Map

2017-18 GA Hunt Season Dates 1 of 2.jpg
2017-18 GA Hunt Season Dates 2 of 2.jpg

AND

*** Proposed changes below & New Finalized updates above.

While checking out the new May 2017 issue of the GON magazine, I saw the new "proposed" doe days map on Page 51.

Let's post the "proposed" GA DNR whitetail hunting map graphic image on the forum below.

In case you have not seen it & may be interested, check out the web links.

After a search, this is related to an earlier thread from a approx. a month ago at the 1st web link below.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=895800

Proposed Hunting Regulations

04-05-2017

*** July 26th Updated: http://georgiawildlife.com/regulations/proposed

New web link above after GA DNR WRD website changes.

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/Hunting/RegulationChanges

Hunting Regulations Changes: Proposed or Recently Approved

Proposed Hunting Regulations 2017-2018 and 2018-2019

logo.png

wildlifeLogo2.gif

OR

*** July 26th Updated: http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/de...ce_Proposed_Hunting_Regulations_2017-2019.pdf

New web link above after GA DNR WRD website changes.

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/site...ce_Proposed Hunting Regulations 2017-2019.pdf

March 29, 2017

Page 4 of 210 has the Map of the "Proposed Firearms Either-Sex Days 2017-18".

Georgia Map Proposed Firearms Either-Sex Days 2017-18.jpg

:bounce:

Last edited:

whitetailfreak

Apparently, the population has increased to the point to where we can begin increasing doe days again :banginghe

transfixer

Apparently the automobile insurance companies have figured out how to influence the DNR officials ,,,,,,,, I'm very disappointed, after exchanging emails with a very high up official in DNR about 3yrs ago I had hopes for some common sense from them, I see either he has been influenced by the insurance industry,,, or its out of his hands ? Sad,, very sad,

They need to think about the writing on the wall, when the deer population in the areas that get hunted continue to decline, there will be less hunters buying licenses, less licenses means less money for DNR, which means programs will be cut, people will be not be hired, or laid off? There will be less and less opportunities for our grandkids to enjoy deer hunting.

I'd like to know how they think any of their increased harvest thinking does anything to alleviate the deer populations in the suburban areas ? the ones that live in the woods between subdivisions,, or between shopping centers, and apartment complexes ? Those are the ones that are causing a significant number of the auto accidents ,, and increased doe harvest does NOTHING to affect that population.

just my 2 cents

brownceluse

I plan on shooting at least 8 does and my wife and two kids will kill at least 4 a piece. In my area they are way over populated

Souhternhunter17

I don't really understand what they are trying to accomplish here...? If you want to protect the bred does and bring up our recruitment rate and populations, just allow does to be harvested up to the average dates breeding begins to occur in each region. So where I hunt here in N. GA I would get bow season, muzzleloader, and some of rifle to harvest my does. We in north GA (other than the ATL suburbs) don't need a 12 deer limit like our south GA counterparts... Lower it to maybe 3-4 does and 3 bucks.

transfixer

I don't really understand what they are trying to accomplish here...? If you want to protect the bred does and bring up our recruitment rate and populations, just allow does to be harvested up to the average dates breeding begins to occur in each region. So where I hunt here in N. GA I would get bow season, muzzleloader, and some of rifle to harvest my does. We in north GA (other than the ATL suburbs) don't need a 12 deer limit like our south GA counterparts... Lower it to maybe 3-4 does and 3 bucks.

The bag limit isn't set by DNR, its set by our state legislators, ( who are in the back pocket of State Farm, Progressive, Allstate, etc,etc) legislators don't know diddly squat about deer populations, I'd be willing to be 90% of them have never deer hunted, so I don't know why they were ever given the authority to set bag limits, but that's the way it is.
The DNR official I communicated with said the only thing they could do to lower the harvest numbers was cut back on the days available to harvest does, which they did for a couple years. It looks like now they have been influenced by big money as well.

transfixer

I plan on shooting at least 8 does and my wife and two kids will kill at least 4 a piece. In my area they are way over populated

Just out of curiosity , can your family consume 16 deer in a year ? if you can that's great ! Venison is better for us than the meat we buy in the store, the most my family has even used in a years time is 4, sometimes only 3, we use it for burgers, chili, spaghetti, and of course cube steak.

Just wondering

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Apparently, the population has increased to the point to where we can begin increasing doe days again :banginghe

Man, I take one year off from killing does in Georgia and look what happened. Population explosion!:D

PappyHoel

12 days is still too many doe days in Lumpkin county. We've proven we are unable to manage ourselves.

Guys, this does not mean you have to change your doe harvest. I did not see where it said you have to kill a doe on these days. You must manage your own properties. Most clubs I know make their own limits and rules. If we feel we have too many does we adjust to this.

transfixer

Guys, this does not mean you have to change your doe harvest. I did not see where it said you have to kill a doe on these days. You must manage your own properties. Most clubs I know make their own limits and rules. If we feel we have too many does we adjust to this.

True, the problem is there are many hunters out there who will shoot does up to their limit, even if they have to give away the meat, just because the state increased the days again, they will take that to mean we need to kill more does, that there is too many of them, and that's not the case in the majority of counties that receive a good bit of hunting pressure.

brownceluse

Just out of curiosity , can your family consume 16 deer in a year ? if you can that's great ! Venison is better for us than the meat we buy in the store, the most my family has even used in a years time is 4, sometimes only 3, we use it for burgers, chili, spaghetti, and of course cube steak.

Just wondering

Yes, but we share with family and friends as well. That's all we eat until it's gone

red neck richie

The bag limit isn't set by DNR, its set by our state legislators, ( who are in the back pocket of State Farm, Progressive, Allstate, etc,etc) legislators don't know diddly squat about deer populations, I'd be willing to be 90% of them have never deer hunted, so I don't know why they were ever given the authority to set bag limits, but that's the way it is.
The DNR official I communicated with said the only thing they could do to lower the harvest numbers was cut back on the days available to harvest does, which they did for a couple years. It looks like now they have been influenced by big money as well.

I've herd this for years. Pun intended. Dnr doesn't set bag limits legislators do. What a bunch of hog wash. Its funny how they pick and choose who has a say in what. I agree 100% If you don't deer hunt and are not informed on the matter how are you given the authority to decide? Let alone the people that are being influenced by lobbyist. Sounds back donkey ward to me.

Last edited:

Mako22

BANNED
Every year the rules and seasons change here in Georgia. What is so hard about setting season dates and regulations and keeping them the same each year? Someone in charge doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing.

shakey gizzard

12 days is still too many doe days in Lumpkin county. We've proven we are unable to manage ourselves.
Fact!
Every year the rules and seasons change here in Georgia. What is so hard about setting season dates and regulations and keeping them the same each year? Someone in charge doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing.

Danged if "they" do ,danged if they don't!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
The objectives for the 10-year deer management plan in the Piedmont and Ridge and Valley were to slightly increase then stabilize the population. The last 2 years have accomplished that, see the numbers below. While the number of doe days would increase under the proposed regulations, doe harvest likely won't increase by any substantial amount. By far the largest reduction in harvest is the result of the first 2 weeks being buck only, which is not changing. This is a move to stabilize the population and make the regulations less complicated.

Doe Harvest
2014-15 - 283,000
2015-16* - 234,000
2016-17 - 182,000

*Regulation change to make first 2 weeks, weekend before Thanksgiving, and January dates buck only,.

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The objectives for the 10-year deer management plan in the Piedmont and Ridge and Valley were to slightly increase then stabilize the population. The last 2 years have accomplished that, see the numbers below. While the number of doe days would increase under the proposed regulations, doe harvest likely won't increase by any substantial amount. By far the largest reduction in harvest is the result of the first 2 weeks being buck only, which is not changing. This is a move to stabilize the population and make the regulations less complicated.

Doe Harvest
2014-15 - 283,000
2015-16* - 234,000
2016-17 - 182,000

Regulation change to make first 2 weeks buck only.

Is this by what was reported. Confirmation ?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Mr.Kiillmaster
Do you think the buck harvest will go to 3 bucks.

nmurph

I live in SEGA and I don't know of anyone who's killed their limit of does. I'm not saying some don't, but I don't believe the majority of hunters, and I mean the vast majority of them, don't do so.

KM, does the DNR tease out the number of hunters who take what number of deer?

Latest posts