Georgia Whitetail Hunting Proposed Regulation Changes - May 2019

BornToHuntAndFish

In case you missed this . . .

Even though the May 2019 issue of the GON magazine cover mentions "Doe Day Map, Hunting Reg Changes", the table of contents did not list this article on Page 18.

See more details at the web link below, especially for other hunting regs proposed changes.

(Sorry the web link below does not have the Doe Day Map changes, but can be found in the GON magazine.)

https://www.gon.com/news/hunters-comment-proposed-regulation-changes

Hunters Asked To Comment On Proposed Regulation Changes

No either-sex deer hunting at all for much of the Chattahoochee National Forest;
four counties added to special extended “urban archery” season

Add Four Counties To Extended Urban Archery Season

proposed change adds Bibb County (Macon), Chatham County (Savannah), Clarke County (Athens) and Henry County (Stockbridge and McDonough) to the urban archery group and would allow either-sex archery-only deer hunting until Jan. 3

No Either-Sex Deer Hunting On Any Chattahoochee National Forest Land East Of I-75

Reduce Either-Sex Firearms Deer Hunting In Mountain Counties

Dawson, Gilmer, Habersham, Lumpkin, Murray, Pickens, Stephens, White and Whitfield counties would see a reduction to eight either-sex days from the current regulation of 12 either-sex days

Fannin, Rabun, Towns and Union counties would see a reduction from five either-sex days to just three days

Huge Increase For Either-Sex Days In Three Northeast Georgia Counties

Currently, Banks, Franklin and Hart counties have 12 either-sex deer hunting days. WRD is proposing these three counties get an increase to 72 days to include most of firearms deer season.

Last season's Doe or Either-Sex firearms map below:

https://www.gon.com/media/2018/06/Doe-Days-2018.jpg

Doe-Days-2018.jpg

j_seph

Did y'all hear.................They going to have bear hunting with dogs at Chestatee and Chattahoochee?:pop::pop::pop:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I think the new changes are on point for way more people than not.
Actually very proud of them this year and looking forward to next.
Now if we can just git rid of all the bait “i’ll“ be set.

Hunter922

Any idea when the season start dates and these proposed changes might be official?
Season start date has been the same for years no changes. 2nd Saturday in Sept.

XJfire75

I don’t understand the drop back to 8 doe days in NW Ga. population there is as good or better than a lot of counties nearby. 2 bad weather weekends and your chances to kill some meat goes from slim to dang near none.

ProAngler

Always going to be one or two things to nitpick when trying to manage a state the size of Georgia, but I am overall very impressed with our GADNR efforts to effectively regulate so many different deer populations and habitats

lampern

Always going to be one or two things to nitpick when trying to manage a state the size of Georgia, but I am overall very impressed with our GADNR efforts to effectively regulate so many different deer populations and habitats

Except you have the same season dates and bag limits statewide regardless of population

ProAngler

Except you have the same season dates and bag limits statewide regardless of population

Amazing how much you seem to follow every single aspect of Georgia regulations, but don’t understand how we use doe days to manage deer harvest

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

That's true but the key to controlling the doe harvest is the number of either sex days.

Rabun

You'll have to explain your math and logic to me with ^^^ statement. Went from a potential of 12 deer to two in the below CNF due to poor deer numbers...
No Either-Sex Deer Hunting On Any Chattahoochee National Forest Land East Of I-75

j_seph

I think the new changes are on point for way more people than not.
Actually very proud of them this year and looking forward to next.
Now if we can just git rid of all the bait “i’ll“ be set.
Sounds like you need to find more land if the deer and turkeys are not eating all of your bait.

35 Whelen

This should be a sticky since the question is asked so many times on here:

Here is how you can determine the start dates each year:

Archery - second Saturday in September

Primitive weapons - first Saturday after October 8th

Firearms - first Saturday after October 15th

lampern

You'll have to explain your math and logic to me with ^^^ statement. Went from a potential of 12 deer to two in the below CNF due to poor deer numbers...

Bag limits are the same statewide

That’s all

Rabun

Hmmm...except

CNF EAST OF I-75

Explain to me how a twelve deer bag limit applies to an area where you can only harvest two deer.

XJfire75

Hmmm...except

CNF EAST OF I-75

Explain to me how a twelve deer bag limit applies to an area where you can only harvest two deer.
No one is making you hunt only there.

That’s also another reason the nag limits are as liberal as they are. Some folks have multiple tracts of land to hunt.

The bag limits have been 12 for several years now and our deer population has remained strong and has not gone down.

Rabun

You're correct. I choose to hunt there and I'm not complaining. I love hunting the mountains for the splendor of it all. If my ultimate goal was to simply kill deer I would go elsewhere and sit over a pile of corn but I enjoy the solitude of mountain hunting. My comments were directed at Lampern and his statement that the bag limit is consistent throughout the state. It no longer is. As I've mentioned several times on here, I welcome the reg change and it really doesn't affect me much as I have never killed a doe in the CNF anyway. I don't mind hunting game and I don't mind coming up empty...as long as I'm out there pursuing...that's what it's all about for me.