GA DNR Proposed & Finalized Firearms Either-Sex Days 2017-18 Map - March/July 2017

transfixer

Sorry but I think you filling orders for non-hunters should be a crime, giving venison to a few family members or friends every once in a while is fine . Starting a cottage industry on the backs of fellow hunters should be illegal .And it is gluttony your taking more than you or your family can consume and giving it away..sorry but that is the way I see it...it may not be illegal but its wrong. Your planning on killing deer you have no intent on using for you or your family..and that is why the limit should be lowered not to impact a hunters family's needs but to save deer that are being killed because the hunter still has a tag to fill...oh look there is a doe...I don;t have anymore freezer space but someone at the office might like some venison and I still have a tag...just my 2 cents.

I agree, is it legal ? yes, I suppose it is,,, is it right ? not in my opinion , if those other people want deer meat, then they should learn to hunt,, or go buy farm raised venison.

if providing a land owner with a deer or two is a part of them allowing you to hunt their land, that's different, after all its their land.

How2fish

I agree, is it legal ? yes, I suppose it is,,, is it right ? not in my opinion , if those other people want deer meat, then they should learn to hunt,, or go buy farm raised venison.

if providing a land owner with a deer or two is a part of them allowing you to hunt their land, that's different, after all its their land.

I agree with giving a land owner a deer if requested, the public at large not so much.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
People should be free to use / dispose of deer meat as they see fit. That being said, killing deer just to kill em then finding somebody to take it off your hands is lame. I'd guess everybody knows "that guy" who calls several x's a season with a dead deer they don't want to pay processing on. facepalm:

What I find interesting is folks thinking that killing a bunch of deer makes them a good hunter. Most hunters I know could tag out very early in the season if they chose to do so. Most don't make this choice (I know a few that do, they do exist). Deer, in general, are not hard to kill. Big #'s does not = big skill. You either have deer on your place(s) or not. Often, folks find property with a bunch of deer, fill the freezer and "donate" a few more, and scratch their head and blame everybody else in a few years when the deer are GON.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
There once was a man who had a donkey. The man used the donkey to carry sticks to town to sell for fire wood. Everyone told the man something different about to many stick on him to not enough sticks to where he should carry the sticks.

Well I told the land owner I would get him a deer.
Then I told the non hunting preach no this year go hunt your own. Go to public land. Just what ever. I also told the ol lady that everyone knows I couldn't give her that deer ham for thanksgiving this year.
I just want to thank y'all for setting me straight on how to use my "Tags".

Well went to the land and my key don't fit the lock now & my stands where under the barn at the gate. Odd.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Oh yea. The preach asked about was he going to get a fresh mess of bream & catfish. I told him I didn't know yet. I will have to ask. Not sure I can give him a bass. He may have to catch his own.
See y'all later going to the fishing forum to ask.
Ttyl

How2fish

Seems like your Preacher should give you a pass on Sundays ...so you can keep him fed. This rapidly went from you couldn't feed your family on 5-6 deer a year to slaughtering deer in the name if the Lord..forget we ever brought it up we would hate to get in the way of your Canonization. :deadhorse:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Seems like your Preacher should give you a pass on Sundays ...so you can keep him fed. This rapidly went from you couldn't feed your family on 5-6 deer a year to slaughtering deer in the name if the Lord..forget we ever brought it up we would hate to get in the way of your Canonization. :deadhorse:

Lols. U missed the point of the story. If Deast wants to give a deer away and its tagged........
Oh never mind I forgot.

Y'all have blinders on lols

How2fish

Lols. U missed the point of the story. If Deast wants to give a deer away and its tagged........
Oh never mind I forgot.

Y'all have blinders on lols

I may have missed the point and as I said earlier I didn't mean to be smart...however I may have crossed that line and if so I do apologize . You do what your think is best for you and your family and I will do the same and I'll keep my comments to myself going forward..have a good one!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I may have missed the point and as I said earlier I didn't mean to be smart...however I may have crossed that line and if so I do apologize . You do what your think is best for you and your family and I will do the same and I'll keep my comments to myself going forward..have a good one!

I'm not affended. Any u have a great day as well.
May u have a great deer season. G L

HM

The last bag limit increase about 15 years ago was made by the legislature in part by request of DNR. Up until that time, the bag limit in law was a maximum and DNR could adjust it within that maximum through regulation. When they made the change the bag limit was written in code removing regulatory authority by DNR.. As such, DNR has had to use either-sex days to manipulate doe harvest. I honestly don't know what, if anything, has been discussed regarding the bag limit at that level in recent years. I just know that changing it has not been an option. I'm hopeful that we can bring that topic up for discussion soon since a bag limit adjustment is a simpler option than limiting either-sex days for most hunters.

I understand your point of where the bag limit is set but we as hunters would not be able to push legislative change without input and support of State biologists. If you guys aren't making the argument that the change needs to be made it would never get out of committee for my Rep or Senator to vote on.

lampern

Changes to bag limits should be done by the DNR/WRD not the legislature.

Hunters should push to give bag limit authority to the WRD.

BornToHuntAndFish

*** Updated:

New 2017 Georgia Deer Hunting updates for July in Post #1 on 1st Page of forum discussion thread as Whitetail Season starts soon on September 9th.

:D

PappyHoel

Most clubs have no where near he amount of members you posted. We have 17 on 1800 acres. About half our members don't shoot any does (we have plenty). 5-6 shot nothing last year, despite multiple opportunities. I've never heard of a 300-400 acre club with 20 members. I'm sure there are a few, but if each of them are killing a doe, it won't last but a couple years.

Ever been to NE Georgia? We got lots of them. I also posted a long post on here about cutting our membership from 47 members on 1800 acres to 17, dues would be ~$1500 per member at our current rates.

I was told I was crazy by 90% of the members here. What you're saying doesn't line up with reality.

JBowers

Every year the rules and seasons change here in Georgia. What is so hard about setting season dates and regulations and keeping them the same each year? Someone in charge doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing.

Keeping a specific numerical date each year will fall on a different day each year and most often be in the middle of a week. Certainly an option, but many hunters may prefer a weekend opener and a weekend closer, which is how most seasons are handled. This is called a 'Rule of Thumb'.

The Rules of Thumb for deer season in Georgia are:

Archery - 2nd Saturday in September through the last day of firearms deer season (2nd Sunday in January).

Primitive Weapons - 1st Saturday after Oct. 8 through the following Friday.

Firearms - 1st Saturday after Oct. 15 through the 2nd Sunday in January.

While the calendar shifts annually resulting in dynamic dates, these Rules of Thumb have remained stable for many years. The last change was in the closing day of firearms deer season in 2015. Prior to that, the Rule of Thumb for the S.Zone closing date changed in 2005. In 2002, the rule of thumb for archery and firearms opening was advanced 1 week. Prior to that was the adjustment to provide a primitive weapons season in 1999. Thus, 4 adjustments to either season opening or season closing in 19 years.

As long as these Rules of Thumb do not change, any hunter can apply them to future calendars and determine the deer season opening and closing in any year moving forward.

Latest posts