GA tradbow shooters 2, Canada black bears 0 - Story and Video Added

frankwright

Great Job!
You are right about making the trip. In 1997 three good friends and all Traditional hunters made the 30 hour trip to Ontario for the spring bear season.
It still is one of my fondest memories. The time spent together in a totally wild situations, right down to fixing our evening meals is something I will never forget.

TNGIRL

What a great job!!!! I enjoyed the story and loved your video. I actually have never thought much about bear hunting, either way. But that looked pretty cool....course your butts musta been pretty tired!!!!!! I have eaten some wonderful bear meat of Joe Coots in the past and loved it. Maybe a bear hunt in Quebec would be on my bucket list............:fine:

jerry russell

What a great job!!!! I enjoyed the story and loved your video. I actually have never thought much about bear hunting, either way. But that looked pretty cool....course your butts musta been pretty tired!!!!!! I have eaten some wonderful bear meat of Joe Coots in the past and loved it. Maybe a bear hunt in Quebec would be on my bucket list............:fine:

That 14 hour sit is not the norm of course. I was just on a bit of a mission. Normally you will just hunt from 5-9ish and see 1-5 bears per night. Hunting those bears in a wilderness setting is a very addictive thing for sure.

jerry russell

Great Job!
You are right about making the trip. In 1997 three good friends and all Traditional hunters made the 30 hour trip to Ontario for the spring bear season.
It still is one of my fondest memories. The time spent together in a totally wild situations, right down to fixing our evening meals is something I will never forget.

You are right about those memories. Sure you remember the kills but for me the things that are etched in my mind are the "first" on those trips. First time seeing a moose, wolf, grizzly and some of the little things like the tase of a lake trout cooked on the lake shore, watching a porcupine try to swim a cold river and the overpowering quiet of a boreal forest. Two of my favorites memories include a wolf chasing a caribou calf across the tundra and stalking up to a caribou that I decided to pass on and being so close that I could hear it snoring. My favorite new memory was walking back to our cabin last week at midnight and hearing Luke exclaim as he looked up for the first time into that Northwoods sky "Dad, check out the stars! It looks like you can just reach up and grab them".

Oh lord you got me all misty and wanting to go back. Most times I sure do feel like I was born in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited:

whossbows

makes you feel good allllllllllllllllll over dont it

johnweaver

Great story and video. I'm sure that this week in the wilds will be a memory that will be talked about around a lot of campfires. You are my Hero!!! Luke is da MAN!!!

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
Man Jerry that was good!! You are right Quebec is ah fine place Bobby and me have been there ah few times.
After each shot I turned up the vloume to listen for the death moan. That sure is music to the ears. You know it's over.

jerry russell

Man Jerry that was good!! You are right Quebec is ah fine place Bobby and me have been there ah few times.
After each shot I turned up the vloume to listen for the death moan. That sure is music to the ears. You know it's over.

Yep that moan can be heard from a looong ways off and with both shots I knew it would come quickly. As I stated before, that moan always strikes me like no other sound in hunting but it also says that you did your job and made a clean kill holding up your end of the bargin.
There was a LOT of death moaning going on up there in those bear woods. 8 hunter and 8 bears taken with the average of just 2.5 days per hunter to score and that was with some serious trophy hunting going on. Everyone passed on multiple bears. There were some great archers there as not a single bear went more than 40 yards.
Good times for sure.

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
Yep that moan can be heard from a looong ways off and with both shots I knew it would come quickly. As I stated before, that moan always strikes me like no other sound in hunting but it also says that you did your job and made a clean kill holding up your end of the bargin.
There was a LOT of death moaning going on up there in those bear woods. 8 hunter and 8 bears taken with the average of just 2.5 days per hunter to score and that was with some serious trophy hunting going on. Everyone passed on multiple bears. There were some great archers there as not a single bear went more than 40 yards.
Good times for sure.

I guess they didn't include your hunt in that 2-1/2 day average.:rofl:
Really enjoyed the story and video. :cool:

Al33

Just got back from a 4 day trip to the mountains with two granddaughters and was hoping you had posted the pic's and videos. I was not disappointed.:) Awesome video jerry!!! Congrat's to both of you again and congrat's on getting the guide job! You are truly an an inspiration.

oldfella1962

Bears are quiet no doubt!

I was almost nose-to-nose with black bears twice while fishing in Alaska. They are just as quiet (or more) than a deer. And they can haul butt away just as fast, too!