Getting busted...

JB in GA

I started my season last Saturday determined to hunt off the ground. I posted up on a folding stool beside the rootball of an overturned tree; a good spot where I have seen deer before. It is a wooded floodplain of varied thickness. Anyway, I had seen five deer before 9 AM and got busted when two that I saw pass me earlier got behind me and saw my back quiver leaning against a tree. Coming closer, they got my wind and blew out. Same spot in the evening I saw three more. Again getting busted from the other direction before the shot developed. Using a bow quiver this time with fletchings covered except for the one on my string and so this is my question, have you ground guys been busted by deer seeing white or partially white fletching? I am thinking I may need a few natural barred shafts for this?

Robust Redhorse

In my experience, scent will get you busted every time.

Not so much with sight or sound for younger deer and most does.

I believe they pay attention to white, but often don't immediately run unless they can confirm something is wrong with another sense or another visual.

You might want to try orange/red if you want to be able to see the arrow.

I think white nocks are fine.

Al33

I killed a small buck about ten years ago while sitting in a large rootball hole. I positioned myself with the actual rootball at my side and used stakes and netting on the opposite side which was where I expected to get a shot. I would definitely not want anything white visible while hunting from the ground. Best of luck, sounds like you are in a great spot.

JB in GA

Thanks fellows. Mr. Al, I believe I do need to enhance my rootball with some netting. I was wearing a leafy suit top with a hood, but I think some additional blind material couldn’t hurt.

sawtooth

You’re going to have to fool a deer’s 1)nose 2) ears 3) eyes- in that order.
Let that be your number one consideration in picking a spot to sit.
I wouldn’t worry too much about my fletching color, but white might get you accidentally shot if you are on the ground.
There is such a thing as TOO CLOSE- you don’t want deer closer than 15 or 20 yards- it’s almost impossible to get drawn when they are that close, especially if there is more than one animal. I like to set up for longer shots when hunting from the ground.
When picking a spot remember that what’s behind you is more important than what’s in front of you- get totally rid of your outline.
If you’re worried about your feathers alerting them, just lay your quiver on the ground beside you and cover it up with leaves.

JB in GA

Thanks Dendy. I believe I was totally thinking in terms of treestand distance shots, but when they got in there that close, I couldn’t get drawn.

dm/wolfskin

Anything new to them or out of place they will pick up on it. They know their living room. A new deer to the area won't notice something different.

JB in GA

It looks like this, the small tree in front of me is maybe 12-15 yds away. So not much cover right up to the rootball:

9C457989-1AF5-41CF-837B-90CB7EF54229.jpeg

JB in GA

Yep, I hear you. It is definitely thicker to my left. This ground thing is a new way of thinking. Going to leave my Summit Viper at home so I am not tempted to use it!

Hillbilly stalker

It looks like your wearing a Shannon's bug tamer, I have much better luck wearing Leafy wear of some sort. It does a lot better at breaking up your outline. Sounds like your in a good traffic corridor, is there any place along there that that you can pinch their movement down and keep them in front of you ? The shadier a spot is the better. They do notice things that are out of order. I have a friend who uses a fawn decoy and sets it up so as the deer approach they stare away from him and it gives him some time to draw. A fawn doesn't seem to alert them any. I believe deer do see white...that's how they notice when another deer flags them and puts them on alert. I don't believe that's what's happening tho. It aint easy...but I promise when you kill one on the ground like that, you know you have done something. Good luck.

I hear you! I have a 5 year old cutover that is thick and covered with deer. I've hunted it 3 times and have seen deer, but get busted! The wind is constantly swirling and nothing I can do about it. Guess I could wait for a good front to come through and have a constant wind.

I had a 6 point at 5 yards the other night! He knew something was not right and bolted. He never blew.

Good luck and have fun!

I know it's hard to see, but just about dead center is a small 4 point. He is about 10-12 yards away.

Attachments

• buckinmiddle.jpeg
    buckinmiddle.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 32

JB in GA

Hey fellas, I could not convince any deer to get in the bed of my Silverado this weekend, but the 43 degree temp sure felt good when I left the house. I also didn’t have time to improve my ground blind set-up last week, so I hunted out of my climber. I sat the same area I saw 8 deer from two Saturdays ago and saw nada. But I was huntin’ ?