Gila NF.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Heading out to New Mexico to hunt the Gila National Forest next month. Been pouring over my Gaia Maps and have been marking spots that look decent. Just curious if anyone on here might have hunted the area before and can give me some pointers that I might not have considered. I have a rather capable vehicle and I can get into any area on the off-road trails pretty easy. My understanding is that the Gila NF has the highest success rate for public land turkeys in NM reaching around 30% or better at times. Any advice would be much appreciated.

deast1988

If it’s like Colorado, altitude. You find birds at a certain height. Start checking your spots you’ve found at that height. Like fishing, you can cover the entire lake, but if you can narrow it to the certain depth the fish are holding check there first.

DynamicDennis

Man I hunted there almost 20 years ago. Missed a bird at 15 ft, came up almost a sheer drop and popped up a little too close. Should have body shot it, but was aiming for the neck. Choke was a little much for that range. Still to this day the most fun hunt I have ever been on. Beautiful country, and different animals. Take warm clothes also, I did not and about froze when it started snowing in late April.

Latest posts