Give me some healthy eating options please

Waddams

I lost about 50 lbs in 3 months about 2 1/2 years ago by doing keto diet combined with intermittent fasting, and I started power lifting at the gym. Was 41 at the time. Have kept the weight off since, still lifting 3 times a week and just get more and more addicted to it. Still stay mostly carb free and keep my intermittent fasting during the work week. Am actually about 5 lbs heavier than after the initial weight loss but pants have gotten little skinnier, shoulders and arms are a bit bigger, shirts are tighter, so I figure it's muscle and not fat and I'm good with that.

I'm just ready to deadlift that 250 lb buck into the back of the pickup truck all on my own now!

My parents tried keto and lost a bunch of weight too. It works for some people really well. You just have to recognize that there's a permanent lifestyle change diet wise that you need to stick with in order to lose and keep the weight off. I miss the carbs, especially pizza, and while I indulge occasionally, I avoid them for the most part. Especially processed sugars and starches. You're body can't do much with them except turn them into fat, they are otherwise used very inefficiently by your metabolism. Protein and healthy fat based energy sources are so much better for you. Add in fresh veggies and some fruit, and you've got your vitamin needs met.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Low carb and hike, run, walk, mow grass, clean the garage, build deer stands, wade the hooch,.....keep moving. It doesn't matter how little you eat and how low calorie or carbs, uou have to burn more than you take in. Simple as that.

Good luck.

Whoop der it is. Calories in, calories out. :rockon:

Patriot44

Banned
Whoop der it is. Calories in, calories out. :rockon:
When I was in the Army, I was probably in the 4500 calories per day range not counting the alcohol. I couldn't gain weight if I wanted.

A little harder to do as an adult hen you have to pay bills and such, but I like to just keep moving. For about six months out of the year, baseball keeps the weight off. One would be surprised at how many calories you burn with 1, 2 and 3 practices per week and 50 games per season. Those 10, 11, 12, 13 year old kids will run you ragged.

Also, one last thing. Running your brain in high gear also burns a ton of calories. Would be rare to find an overweight physicist or accomplished chess player. Anyone that challenges themselves daily with brain games or work.

AugustaDawg

Exercise is good for you, even mandatory in my mind, but you'll never out exercise a poor diet. Look for the "Lawry's" marinade for the shrimp. It's either tropical or hawaiian, I can't remember which.

greg j

I'm reminded of the old saying: if it tastes good it's bad for you, if it tastes like @#$% it's good for you:)

bassboy1

Lean protein and green vegetables. I drink over a gallon of water a day. Only drink water. Have a cheat day every 8 to 10 days to kick my system back in motion.

I wonder if that's hurting more than helping, because for me, that causes a bigger problem.

I've had autoimmune issues for years, which my docs have never really been able to diagnose or treat properly, so after hitting a breaking point, I took matters in my own hands, and attempted to rein the issue in via experimenting with my diet.

That process put me on a lean protein and green vegetable diet for a bit. For the first week or so, I hated it. Felt hungry all the time (I wasn't even limiting portions - just food types), craved sugar, craved carbs (I've got a similar affection towards bread and taters as NCHillbilly), etc. After a week or so, no problems. No longer hungry between meals, actually quit snacking altogether, would have leftovers left from stuff like a steak, etc, and no longer craved carbs and sugar.

But, if I break the path once, the floodgates open back up. A dessert after dinner one night would mean I'd start being hungry between meals the next day, the sugar cravings would come back, etc. Clean diet again for a number of days, and I'm fine.

I wonder if you're going just long enough between cheat days to basically cause yourself to start back at the bottom of the hill. Possibly a couple weeks of no cheat days would be enough to no longer want/need the cheat days.

baddave

my wife don't lack much of being a nutritionist and she says 80/20 rule .. eat good (like everybody has explained) 80% and eat whatever 20% ..

ssramage

Losing it ain't that hard, I had made up mine to do it. Keeping it off is a different story, but thankfully I have. Went from 252 to 187. I want to stay around 195.

I need to get on that bandwagon. I'm about 240 and would love to get under 200.

Brandon, if you figure it out let me know. We did good earlier this year but it was HARD. And then we went on a cruise and lost all the ground we had gained. My biggest problem is knowing what to cook without getting bored. I have been eating the same (not healthy) stuff for my entire life. That's what I know how to cook and I'm good at it. My family has grown accustomed to eating it too so now that's what they know and like. It's exhausting having to find new "recipes", not to mention they almost always cost 3x more than my go-to meals....

Arrow3

I've lost 25lbs now. It's still a struggle every day. Yesterday a coworker brought me boberry biscuits and I had to turn them down ?

GeorgiaBob

I've lost 25lbs now. It's still a struggle every day. Yesterday a coworker brought me boberry biscuits and I had to turn them down ?

Don't turn down the good stuff, without thinking it through!

I backed off from 245 last year (it kinda' snuck up on me) down to 220 last month and on my way back to 205. Since I am 6'1", that 205 is still heavy, but it has been my ideal weight for four decades. I'll go for the textbook weight of 180 "next year."

When I have an opportunity to enjoy a treat, I consider how much I want that special item, how much it will cost (calories and time), and what I would have to do to offset the extra within 48 hours. And that last is the key - enjoy the good stuff once in a while and skimp elsewhere within two days to make up for the treat.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I need to get on that bandwagon. I'm about 240 and would love to get under 200.

Brandon, if you figure it out let me know. We did good earlier this year but it was HARD. And then we went on a cruise and lost all the ground we had gained. My biggest problem is knowing what to cook without getting bored. I have been eating the same (not healthy) stuff for my entire life. That's what I know how to cook and I'm good at it. My family has grown accustomed to eating it too so now that's what they know and like. It's exhausting having to find new "recipes", not to mention they almost always cost 3x more than my go-to meals....
This is exactly how I feel , done the Keto thing for about 4 months with trying to walk a couple miles every day and lost 30 lbs , 210 to 180 and kinda of went back to my old eating habits 2 months ago besides the sweets and gained back about 12 lbs and told my family a few days ago I was about to start back on my diet and my daughter was like noooo

lonewolf247

I've always maintained a good weight most of my life. I stayed so active and had a metabolism that I burned off everything I ate. In recent years, over 50, I've developed a bad intolerance to heat and humidity. It's hard for me to do outside activity in the summer at least.

I've never been one to do inside cardio on the treadmill or an exercise bike. I've also never really modified my diet, which is a mix of some healthy, so not so healthy.

So, over the last few years, I've gained an additional 15-20 lbs, and I'm at the point of needing to make a change myself.

Following this thread, in hopes to incorporate some healthy eating ideas, to replace some of my not so good meals.....

Hillbilly stalker

The Military figured it out for everybody years ago........eat less and move more. Eating wild game is a lot better for you. Processed meat and processed sugars are not good for you. Neither are preservatives. You can lay a Twinkie on top of the ice box and it will be fresh 10 years from now. And like old Jack Lalane used to say " if it taste good, spit it out ". I'm 52 years old, a little fluffey but take no medicines, perfect Blood pressure and cholesterol . I put up deer, squirrel, rabbit, hogs and fish every year and that's what I eat. You ever had the gout you better steer clear of high protein. You can't out train poor nutrition tho.

Turpentine

breakfast-
2 mile walk /jog
2 eggs scrambled with a little bit of cheese. no salt or pepper
5-7oz steak. bland no seasonings
small bowl of firm grit with a bit of salt, pepper and butter
1 fruit. apple, orange, banana, ect
small glass OJ/grape, small glass of milk, glass of water
medium coffee to go.

lunch-1 pound
a mixed green base salad topped with shredded cheese, shredded egg, shredded turkey, bk olive, banana pepper, mixed chopped peppers, raisins, blueberry, chopped strawberrys, a little bit of dressing. couple pieces of tomato, honey dew, or cannalope on the side. glass water, medium coffee to go.

dinner
2 mile walk/jog
12oz steak done the way ya like it
side steamed asparagus, steamed broccoli, 1 bite beat, one bite hot pepper, few bites onion and tomato
glass of water and sweat tea.
large glass sweat tea to go.
let me know how you feel in 30 days.

fun fact, when drinking cold water your body has to heat it up to a certian temp before processing it. which burns more calories.

Arrow3

So far so good. I was down 26. 6 lbs this morning . I've been cutting back for 5 weeks now. My job is pretty physical so if I can get my portion control down I can eat about what I want and still lose weight. I just have always gorged myself.

fatback

Good job. Keep it up and you will feel better. I know losing weight was the best thing I’ve done. Wish I had done it a long time ago. Makes hunting, fishing and being outdoors much more enjoyable.

Arrow3

Great news. What are you doing to burn it off so well in the new position?
Just a lot more walking and sweating since our AC is broken and we are working with the temp about 95