Good News Christians!

660griz

Ok. What were you doing then?

I thought the quote from Popper would have made it obvious.
A philosophical view of the purpose or aim of science.

Like these:
"Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the theory nor the problem which it was intended to solve."

"Science may be described as the art of systematic over-simplification."

"No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."

ted_BSR

I thought the quote from Popper would have made it obvious.
A philosophical view of the purpose or aim of science.

Like these:
"Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the theory nor the problem which it was intended to solve."

"Science may be described as the art of systematic over-simplification."

"No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."

I'm sorry. I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you clarify it for me?

660griz

I'm sorry. I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you clarify it for me?

I don't think so. I looked back at all the post. I don't think I could make it any more clear.

ted_BSR

I don't think so. I looked back at all the post. I don't think I could make it any more clear.

I guess we are done then. I too went back and read the entire thread to try and work it out, to no avail.

Anyone else know what he is trying to say? Maybe there is a work around.

660griz

Ted:
Science does not, and historically has not aspired to disprove anything.

Some folks that disagree with you:
The whole purpose of science - as it has been nicely written down by Karl Popper - is to falsify the current theories of science.
The physicists are not trying to prove the standard model of particle physics with the LHC at CERN, they are trying to find evidence that it is wrong!"

Artfuldodger:
It would like to think science would be trying to disprove science.
Me:
That is exactly what it is trying to do.

Ted:
Can you show me where in the scientific method it says this?
Me:
I don't recall ever mentioning scientific method.

Ted:
The scientific method does not include the words "disprove" or "verify".
Karl rejected the classic model of the scientific method. He made up his own method of falsification.
(Good to know but, still a method of falsification.) Not really relevant since Popper was not the only quote used. AND, you seem the only one dragging the discussion into a scientific method discussion AFTER you made a broad general statement about science,
I'll replay it for you:
Science does not, and historically has not aspired to disprove anything.
I then showed basically that myself and others don't agree with that opinion and you started asking about the scientific method.
Once again, not relevant.

ted_BSR

Ted:

Some folks that disagree with you:

Artfuldodger:
Me:

Ted:
Me:

Ted: (Good to know but, still a method of falsification.) Not really relevant since Popper was not the only quote used. AND, you seem the only one dragging the discussion into a scientific method discussion AFTER you made a broad general statement about science,
I'll replay it for you:
I then showed basically that myself and others don't agree with that opinion and you started asking about the scientific method.
Once again, not relevant.

Thank griz! I get it now. I agree on a lot of your points, we are all individuals with different opinions, and different sources of information that we use to defend those opinions. In my opinion, which may or may not be relevant, science is a clearly defined thing that isn't open to interpretation. Humans invented it, we defined it. Alternative methods exist, but they are not science.

So, my overall point in all of this is...
The "scientist" in the video in the OP, did not follow the method, and jumped to conclusions about whether or not science has proved that God exists.

Goodoleboy01

I would suggest you all read some of Steve Chapman's books, like,
A view of Life from a Deerstand, he also has another called ,The Hunters Cookbook. Great recipes in there.
He has a great way of sharing his experiences in the deer stand and discussing the wonders of nature he has spent so much time in through his life.
Yes, it is my opinion, in my whipersnapper 40's, that this earth is put together so well, so unique, and so darn complex, it was definitely designed that way.
May each of you have a great time making up your own minds on that one. Thank God for His Son and fish, and deer, and hogs, and birds,Amen, I like to say~