Gun store Shenanigans…

buckpasser

I was in my favorite trapping supply store this week and was a bit disappointed by the gun salesman there. An old acquaintance from my construction days came in and told me that he’d bought some land and that the neighbors were telling him there was a “champion buck” on it. He explained that he’d never killed a deer or deer hunted and came to get a new rifle. He told the sales guy that he did have a .308, but thought he needed a “bit more power”.

Before I left he was being rung up for a brand new .30-06…smh.

Story #2: My boss is getting up in years and is struggling to find anything in his scope out of the stand. He has a pretty old but like new Swarovski 50mm. I got him to shoulder the gun and he just can’t move his head forward enough to get into the eye relief window properly anymore. He agreed and went to a custom rifle company all of us would know. They adjusted his scope (new rings to slide it far enough back I think) and he can see again. While he was there they convinced him his barrel was loose (Browning A bolt in like new condition). They then convinced him than he’d be much better off with one of their 6.5 PRC, even though he’ll never take a 100plus yard shot again with his failing eyes. They also told him that .308 is a poor choice for him and that 7mags are only for elk and would simply destroy a whitetail…

I told my boss since the Browning is junk I’d give him $20 bucks for it and he declined, so maybe he’s not fully convinced he got good advice, but he did manage to lose the better part of $10k for his visit and new sexy caliber.

Thoughts?

GunnSmokeer

In situation number one, I don't fault the gun store. The guy came in saying that he had a .308 but he wanted a bigger rifle for a really big deer, and I think it's OK for the gun shop personnel to play along with this guys misunderstanding of terminal ballistics and let him buy a more powerful gun than he really needs. Heck, almost nobody needs more than a 6 mm Remington or 7 x 57 Mauser to hunt deer, and yet look at all the millions of guns that have been sold to hunters in more powerful cartridges!

GunnSmokeer

Situation #2 is unconscionable and unethical --upselling a guy to new products and services that he didn't ask for, wasn't seeking, and taking his money based on misrepresenting to him what benefits he get out of it is just slimy.

I hope that business gets publicly outed, shamed, and the man involved fired.

Either that or the whole business should close, leaving more work for those custom gunsmiths and builders that do behave ethically.

bullgator

The firearms industry as a whole is usually one of the best at doing right by the consumer. The weakest link to that is most often found at the point of retail sales. Maybe it’s the owner pushing that hard sales mentality, or maybe a sales guy that wants to impress the boss or show how much he knows about guns. Sadly, like most retail purchases it’s a buyer beware situation.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware. This is and always has been the rule for doing business as a buyer.

A seller will try to sell and if he is to stay in business he will do it well. The attempt to upsell or to sell something that is not really needed is a not something that I would be good at and is one reason I am not in sales. Outright lying and deception is reprehensible and sometimes even criminal. But always, Caveat emptor.

Dub

And a lot of us promote the madness.....at least I'm guilty of it.

By this I mean I don't always go through my local shop that has some good dudes and dude-ettes working there.

I'll save a dollar or speed up the process and buy from Academy or online.....shortcutting the fine folks at my local shop.

In the long run I am confident that I'll get what I need and not walk away taken to the cleaners or suggestively sold something I didn't really want.

But....many walk into those big box stores with an open mind, open wallet and limited experience and their only knowledge and training with come form the counter salespeople. Risky bidness.

They'd all be better off going to reputable & established family gun shops.....and I'd be doing well to support such places all the time.

rosewood

unfortunately most counter sales guys in gun stores do not know that much about the things they sell, they are simply reciting what they've heard

This is so true.

rosewood

And a lot of us promote the madness.....at least I'm guilty of it.

By this I mean I don't always go through my local shop that has some good dudes and dude-ettes working there.

I'll save a dollar or speed up the process and buy from Academy or online.....shortcutting the fine folks at my local shop.

In the long run I am confident that I'll get what I need and not walk away taken to the cleaners or suggestively sold something I didn't really want.

But....many walk into those big box stores with an open mind, open wallet and limited experience and their only knowledge and training with come form the counter salespeople. Risky bidness.

They'd all be better off going to reputable & established family gun shops.....and I'd be doing well to support such places all the time.

Can't tell you how many times I have educated a buyer in Academy or BPS or any other store I happen to be in. I try to not step on the toes of the store, but I always try to answer their questions about firearms in laymans terms. I usually get a thank you from the person.

Rosewood

Dub

Can't tell you how many times I have educated a buyer in Academy or BPS or any other store I happen to be in. I try to not step on the toes of the store, but I always try to answer their questions about firearms in laymans terms. I usually get a thank you from the person.

Rosewood

Yep....seen the Academy guy recommend .45 Colt ammo to a dude who was wanting ammo for his "ole .45 Auto". I hated to get involved...but didn't want the gentlemen to walk off with that mistake. Was able to politely inform him that I believe he was being sold incorrect ammo for his intentions.

Sometimes I'll stop by Academy to grab some 12ga shells or check on other ammo. Waiting at cash register to pay....and there is usually a talkative customer holding court about how this gun is better than that gun....and trying to get bystanders to bite and debate him.....the counter guy gets involved in the conversation..... and I'm just wanting to get him to run the register so I can beat feet outa there.

Some of the bro-logic that gets exchanged is unreal. Wanna meet a firearms expert....go to Academy and hang out for 5 mins....one will show up and start geeking it up over whatever "this vs that" debate is in his blood that day. :rofl:

It's good that occasionally someone will come along like you have done @rosewood and stop the madness.

I am truly glad that more folks are legally buying guns & ammo....getting their means of protection and enjoying themselves safely at the ranges.
Mighty glad to see it.

I just wish more of the new folks would funnel their bidness through the family owned shops that have generational knowledge and perhaps some former service folks who know their stuff.

bullgator

I’ve had LGS employees and owners actually tell me I didn’t need what I wanted them to order because what they had “in stock” was better or all I needed. I might allow a brief discussion on the subject, but if they started getting an attitude I would just walk away.......along with my wallet.

Good, honest shop owners are out there and a pleasure to do business with. The shooting community usually gets the word out.....both good and bad, much like taxidermist. We truly owe it to those good shops to support their business whenever possible.

Nimrod71

My advice to people purchasing guns is to do your home work and have and idea of what you want before you go into store, especially if its a big box store. Ask the salesperson how much they know about guns and if they hunt and shoot them. It not smart to buy guns from someone who knows less about them than you do.

The best advice o to come on down to your LGS and talk with the real gun professionals, sales people that know guns, hunt and shoot them. Yes the price may be a little higher but I am sure you will be better off.

chuckdog

I was at my local spirits store yesterday, a nice lady was doing a "tasting" promoting certain brands of bourbons, vodkas, etc.

She was nice enough, but she didn't know her game. When asked about "No Age Statement" "mashbill" "outsourced Indiana Products" (MGP), etc, I saw a lost look on her face.

I heard her unsuccessfully trying to talk someone with a bottle of Crown Royal into buying a 100 proof high rye bourbon instead. This was after allowing him to taste the bourbon. After their exchange, I told her that selling a Crown drinker a high rye bourbon was an unlikely event. She may have been playing me, but I'm convinced she really didn't understand why. I didn't try to explain.

Reminded me of folks at gunshops trying to sell a 300 Win to someone that is in search of and experienced with a .243 Win. The shooter/sipper experiences an entirely different report from each.

Many folks are put behind a counter to sell product without any real knowledge of what they're selling or competing with.

People without scruples are simply out to get every cent a person has on this one visit because they aren't likely to ever see them again. Most people don't like to face the fact that they've been taken for a very expensive ride.

There's a very special place in **** awaiting those that take advantage of the elderly.