Gun store Shenanigans…

Big7

The Oracle
Pretty sure I won't be letting a gun store clerk make any decisions for me.

Just Sayin'

rosewood

I am not sure that 30-06 is a big enough step up from 308 to warrant taking the step.
Once had a fellow at Dicks sporting goods looking to buy a savage111 that was on sale for 299 with scope. Only offered in 3006 and 270. Guy wanted a 308. I suggested he could go with the 06, but he insisted he wanted the 308 because it "has more shock power". He was adamant, so I didn't argue.
Still not sure what that is, I just walked away.

Rosewood

rosewood

Pretty sure I won't be letting a gun store clerk make any decisions for me.

Just Sayin'
Unfortunately there are a lot of new gun buyers that aren't as knowledgeable as we are and are at their mercy.

rosewood

Had a fellow and his girlfriend looking at reload components. I was 99.99% sure he wasn't a reloader, yeah i was profiling. I asked him if he was a reloader, he nodded his head in a confused way and walked away. I was trying to help. Little while later, saw his gf trying to return it at cust svc. They don't take returns on ammo, even on components at academy. Started to make her a lowball offer but didnt.

Dub

Most of them don't know much, may have been honest stupidity. One of my last talks the guy told me a 6.5 cm is too fast, it destroys all the meat on a deer and went on to tell me how he prefers a different cartridge that is faster. Don't let them mount a scope for you either.

You nailed it there.

I cringe thinking of anyone else mounting my scopes. I'mma have to pull the covers way up high tonight and ward off the nightmares, lol.

Cringing, I tell ya. :rofl:

earlthegoat2

Honestly, even knowledgeable and experienced gun people are not necessarily the best sales or customer service folks.

Many cannot keep an open mind about what may work for them and how that may not work for someone else.

450 BM works great for me but most people kind of chuckle when I say that I use it. That is fine. I’m sure they want to use what the guy in TV uses. I am aware that 450 BM is not for everyone. I just hope they don’t get offended when I don’t care what they use.

transfixer

The common misconception that I have a hard time dispelling with virtually every hunter I talk with, is caliber is much,much less important than bullet placement,, many believe in the " magic bullet" or " Magic caliber" that will drop a deer in its tracks,, and its very difficult to change their thinking,, I do get to hammer my point home when I bring a deer back to camp that dropped dead in its tracks after being hit with my 87gr bthp loads out of my .243,, with virtually zero meat damage,, and their deer they shot with a 06, is missing half its shoulder and they had to track it 100yds or more before it expired.

Baroque Brass

unfortunately most counter sales guys in gun stores do not know that much about the things they sell, they are simply reciting what they've heard
Thinking about the three gun stores I’ve dealt with in my life, I dealt with the owners on two and the counter guys on the other. All were very knowledgeable about the product they were selling. Thinking about each one I’d say they’d all tell the customer a .308 is more than adequate for white tails. Then if the customer insisted he wanted a new gun, they would accommodate him. I think a lot of hunters don’t know much about the rifle they hunt with. I see that all the time working as a range officer.

Baroque Brass

The common misconception that I have a hard time dispelling with virtually every hunter I talk with, is caliber is much,much less important than bullet placement,, many believe in the " magic bullet" or " Magic caliber" that will drop a deer in its tracks,, and its very difficult to change their thinking,, I do get to hammer my point home when I bring a deer back to camp that dropped dead in its tracks after being hit with my 87gr bthp loads out of my .243,, with virtually zero meat damage,, and their deer they shot with a 06, is missing half its shoulder and they had to track it 100yds or more before it expired.
I agree. I had a guy at the range with a brand new 300 Winmag. I asked him what he was hunting and he said deer. I asked why the magnum caliber and he said he wanted to make sure he didn’t have to track the deer. I left him burning up expensive ammo to zero his scope while scattering shots all around the target. With some guys, its all about the biggest caliber.

Last edited:

killerv

I was at BPS one day and there was fat loud older guy trying to tell someone that they needed to buy a vortex scope. He wanted everyone in the gun area to know about vortex scopes, etc. I finally told the guy to buy American, the loud guy heard me and got offended and told me vortex were made in America and asked the salesman to hand him a vortex box to show me I was wrong.

He shut up after that.

sleepr71

Big box stores are good for buying Ammo,slings,and other Doo-Dads. Buy guns from a Local GUN STORE. You are much more likely to get accurate information + an honest opinion(if you ask for it). Only gun I’ve ever bought from a box store was an inline ML that was on Clearance ? Supporting an honest LGS benefits everyone???

buckpasser

Just to be clear about my original post; The first place is a local pawn shop/gun dealer and only has one location. The second place is a custom gun shop that advertises on the outdoor channel and sponsors hunting shows. Everyone reading this has heard of them. I’m not talking academy or BPS.

transfixer

Just to be clear about my original post; The first place is a local pawn shop/gun dealer and only has one location. The second place is a custom gun shop that advertises on the outdoor channel and sponsors hunting shows. Everyone reading this has heard of them. I’m not talking academy or BPS.

Don't know who that would be as I don't watch hunting shows,, but it sounds like they have to sell rifles so they can cover their overhead,, if they are doing all that sponsoring and advertising, that requires a lot of profit to cover production costs, payroll, operating expenses and advertising ,,,

killerv

Big box stores are good for buying Ammo,slings,and other Doo-Dads. Buy guns from a Local GUN STORE. You are much more likely to get accurate information + an honest opinion(if you ask for it). Only gun I’ve ever bought from a box store was an inline ML that was on Clearance ? Supporting an honest LGS benefits everyone???

I bought one of the new Winchester wildcat sr 22s at BPS, they were the only ones that had it. Salesman wanted to argue with me about the county I lived in (macon is technically in 3 counties)..and told me I wouldnt be approved because I was putting in the wrong county, we argued for 5 minutes about this. Finally he said just to put it and see what happens....

I know where I live dude.

rosewood

I bought one of the new Winchester wildcat sr 22s at BPS, they were the only ones that had it. Salesman wanted to argue with me about the county I lived in (macon is technically in 3 counties)..and told me I wouldnt be approved because I was putting in the wrong county, we argued for 5 minutes about this. Finally he said just to put it and see what happens....

I know where I live dude.
Yep, your address is/was based on the serving post office. You may live in Jones County and have a Macon address. There may be more than 3 counties, never have researched it.

You should have asked the guy what county BPS is in. Even the lawyers can't answer that one...

Rosewood