Gun store Shenanigans…

FlipKing

Big box stores are good for buying Ammo,slings,and other Doo-Dads. Buy guns from a Local GUN STORE. You are much more likely to get accurate information + an honest opinion(if you ask for it). Only gun I’ve ever bought from a box store was an inline ML that was on Clearance ? Supporting an honest LGS benefits everyone???

Personally, if I'm buying a gun, I don't need an opinion. I've already done hours of research, handled the gun if I could, and made a decision on what I wanted. I've never had a guy at a gun counter go, "try this instead" and it actually make me change my mind.

rosewood

Personally, if I'm buying a gun, I don't need an opinion. I've already done hours of research, handled the gun if I could, and made a decision on what I wanted. I've never had a guy at a gun counter go, "try this instead" and it actually make me change my mind.
This applies to almost everything. Can't recall a salesman ever "selling" me anything.

GunnSmokeer

Yep....seen the Academy guy recommend .45 Colt ammo to a dude who was wanting ammo for his "ole .45 Auto". I hated to get involved...but didn't want the gentlemen to walk off with that mistake. Was able to politely inform him that I believe he was being sold incorrect ammo for his intentions.

A guy I know, an Indian businessman, bought a .32 revolver and some ammo from a local pawn shop. He knew I was a gun guy, but didn't consult me until after the purchase. But he did call me up to see if I'd go with him to the range.

Well, the ammo he had was .32 ACP, which, despite being a semi-rimmed design, did not really fit the chambers of his .32 S&W long revolver. Some of them would not get a decent hit on the primer. The ones that fit did fire, no harm to the gun, and he was accurate enough to shoot a robber in the chest from 10 feet away, but I urged him to get the proper ammo for the gun, and if it works, BUY A CASE OF IT mail-order, to practice a lot more.

trial&error

I've been rethinking this, If someone walks in acting like they know it all "I have a 308, but want something bigger" ok they may have given them what they wanted and didn't make them feel bad. And it is bigger the 06 beats the 308 by 100+fps per any bullet weight. I wasn't there and didn't hear the conversation, and just hate thinking bad about someone.

JR924

Honestly, if a big box store clerk told me I needed a bigger gun for deer. I would run home at breakneck speed to my wife and say "I need a bigger gun". My wife would say "Who told you you needed a bigger gun." I would say "So and So expert at the Big Box Store". I would then say "You don't want a deer to be wounded and suffer an agonizing death just to save a few dollars". She would consider for about 5 minutes and would say "OK", Repeat method in every few months for elk, bear, rabbit, squirrel, crow, pigeon ect. Never let an opportunity go by to add another gun to your collection. I got the last gun by saying the guide said "I need to shoot elk at 300 yards and my guns only shoot 150 yards so guide said no good for elk. You don't want the elk to suffer". I know I am a heel but married 37 years and I still get meals cooked and get to sleep safely in my bedroom plus I am getting a good gun collection. Anyway, the method keeps the peace. Don't judge, sometimes a man gets desperate.:)