Hardest kicking Deer Rifles !

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
My son shoots that rifle with a 150 or 160 grain cor lock. It’s not that bad at all. He Weighs about 140 lbs. Ive shot that rifle in 7 mm mag and it will knock the fillings out of your teeth.

The old Boat paddle stocks on Rugers will knock the taste out of your mouth in 7 mm mags also.
I have a browning a bolt in 7mm rem mag that is a joy to shoot. I have a model 700 in 270 that isn’t.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
An old 700 in 30.06, plastic butt stock.

Next is a Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel. Had some Winchester reduced recoil slugs and it shot great at 100 yards. Then I got a "deal" on some sabot slugs, those things kicked the snot out of you, only shot it twice, my God, jaw swole up. Oldest son was talking trash to me, told him to shoot it, he did and once was enough.

crucible02

My Savage 110 .270

I’ve shot 300 win mag, 300wsm and others… my uncle who shoots a .308 and 30-06 wanted to shoot my “little” .270 and he shot once and said, “my God that thing kicks like a mule.” I don’t know why.

Also… my Mossberg 500 shooting rifled slugs. Cracked my tooth.

coolbreezeroho

One of the new winchester 12 gauges with synthetic stock...Shooting a 3.5 turkey load....Just ask my nephew.....:ROFLMAO: He wanted me to try it...I passed on that one

Mars

Hardest kicking rifle I have is 700 in 7mag but it's not as bad as that cheap 20ga Yildez O/U. It's very lightweight and not pleasant at all to shoot.

sprewett

My best friend growing up got a Savage 110 in .30-06 back in the late 80's. Other than him, I don't know of anyone that shot that God awful thing more than once. I don't think he has shot it in the better part of two decades.
That's what I shoot, haha. Synthetic stock no recoil pad. I thought I was a wimp when I first started shooting it. Had a buddy that shoots a 300wsm say there is no way that kicks harder than mine. I handed it to him he shot handed back and said I was wrong.
I recently went to the range shot 6 times and my shoulder hurt for two days. Not kidding.

MYRX

I owned a Ruger M77 in 338 win mag in my younger years. I said owned, (past tense) for a reason lol.

sprewett

My savage 110 30-06 with plastic butt stock hits pretty hard hope to never have shoot more than two times at the beginning of the year.
But my grandpa has a featherlight 30-06 he bought new in the 70s that he had sold 4 times. Ever person brings it back after one shot.

slow motion

Another vote for Remington 700 in 7 mag. Bought for an elk trip. Part of the trigger recall. Never fixed it. Wife bought me a Weatherby in same caliber. Little less recoil but not much. More often than not I'm toting my .35 lever though. I lime playing cowboy.

Bucaramus

.45-70 with 405 Core Loct. No muzzle brake. Came away with severely bruised shoulder after sighting in. Would flat knock down deer though.

Buckman18

An old Winchester Model 70 in 264 Win Mag without a rubber butt pad is the hardest kicking rifle I’ve personally fired, but it absolutely pales in comparison to my Mossberg 535 with 3.5 inch turkey magnums. I’ve NEVER felt anything quite like that. Mercy. The 535 kicks 5x harder than the 835.

GregoryB.

I would agree with the 3.5 inch 12 gauge turkey loads. I got the 870 Super Mag when it first came out. Used it for duck hunting, my Soldiers would only shoot it one time and hand it back. Last time I shot it was on a Kansas turkey hunt. I felt it for 2 days after that. Now after a year long shoulder injury/recovery just looking at those big shot shells hurts.

gchandkeh

Yeah 7mm mag. Even if a big buck was at the receiving end, I was hesitant to shoot as I knew what was to come for my shoulder

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Thanks for this thread because it has stirred up some good memories for me...and also a few bad memories as well.

I am a pretty big guy at 6' 3" and over 200 pounds for the majority of my adulthood.

I've been to 3 World's fairs, a goat-roping contest, and even watched a grass-hopper eat a bale of hay....BUT I have never seen a firearm that the recoil was so bad that it stunted your growth...until I bought a new Marlin 444 S back in 1981 as that was the year of manufacture. I still have several new boxes of the Remington 240 gr soft-point and Hornady LeveRevolution, 265 gr FTX ammunition.

The recoil of this rifle is the hardest that I have ever seen. Back many years ago, my cousin and I had installed a new scope on it. We put up a target and he shot it twice...and BOTH times, it knocked his cap off of his head. He swore that he had never been "kicked so hard" from a gun. I did kill two bucks with this rifle way back in the 1980's as both of them were dead right in their tracks at the sound of the blast.

This rifle has only been fired about 30 rounds total since it was new and I know that I won't be using it in the future. I still have a several "new" boxes of ammo for it. This thread just seemed to remind me to go ahead and probably sell it so that someone else can have a moose, elephant, or dinosaur weapon.

Because I suffered a heart attack back in 2007 and had to have some stents implanted, my Cardiologist advised me to never shoot this rifle again as the recoil might dislodge the stints that were implanted and it could ultimately kill me. I probably should sell a bunch of my firearms since I don't get to use them very often these days and my Daughter and SIL don't do any hunting as such but they love to fish most every weekend.

*** BE FORE-WARNED.....that in my opinion, this rifle could probably knock your "set of truck keys" into your "watch pocket" at the sound of the blast!!! :pop:

Mauser

I’ve got an old weatherby vanguard in 300 win mag that’ll rattle your teeth. But it’s a far stretch from a H&R single barrel 12ga 3.5 inch turkey load. When I was 14 or 15 the 3.5 inch craze had just started,so I sent off for a 3.5inch tubed barrel for my H&R. Y’all it was brutal,it had a plastic butt plate,I swapped it out with a rubber winchester one had I taken off my cousins gun. I went to pattern it,it was hot, about mid way through turkey season that year. Didn’t have a shirt on,Sittin down propped on my knee when I squeezed off. It rolled me over and you could read the winchester imprint off the butt pad on my shoulder. I killled a couple of turkeys with it and put it up,went back to my A5 30in full. If there’s anything that kicks harder I don’t want any part of it.

Long Cut

An older 60’s model Mannlicher 30-06 rifle that weighted mid 7# with a hardened rubber recoil “pad”...
2-3 shots will knock a well fitted hat off.
I couldn’t handle more than 6 shots in one sitting, bruised you like no other.

DynamicDennis

I do love my 700 7mag, did take he synthetic stock off and added a heavier walnut stock. Made a world of difference and looks nicer to boot.I bought my 15 yr old daughter an older a-bolt in 7mag, she loves it.

ditchdoc24

I've had 2 that I couldn't deal with and sold. The first was a Remington 700 in 30-06 and the second was a TC Encore in .308. I've shot both calibers before with no problems but these just kicked like mules and I was starting to develop a nasty flinch after firing them. I hunt with a Mauser .308 now that I absolutely LOVE but doesn't kick anywhere near as much as those other two. Probably the hardest kicking gun I currently own is a Winchester 12 gauge slug gun.