Sighting in a rifle

Lukikus2

If I can’t dial one in at 25 yards I’m selling it. Useless to waste ammo beyond that point. The one that is on gets a round ran through it before checking accuracy. That’s to clean the barrel out.

basshappy

BANNED
We have a guy in our hunt club that decided to shoot a buck at 400 yards this year. Except he has no idea what his rifle is capable of or apparently what a range finder or ballistic calculations are either.

He cleanly hit the deer...and in the process shot one of it's front legs off.

So now we have a nice 8 pt. tripod running around, assuming he survived.

Separately does anyone know how to age a buck hoof vs. on the hoof?

True story...

That member should be on restriction to shooting range time only until he demonstrated proficiency in being accurate at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards with multiple strikes.

Tight Lines

That member should be on restriction to shooting range time only until he demonstrated proficiency in being accurate at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards with multiple strikes.
Oh it get's better...he arrowed a doe with a crossbow during archery, went through her upper cavity and didn't seem to cause her much issue...went through both sides...had her on cam several times after...wounded another doe, finally killed a buck...which was 2.5 vs. the 4.5 club rule...I don't think he will be back...but not up to me...

basshappy

BANNED
Oh it get's better...he arrowed a doe with a crossbow during archery, went through her upper cavity and didn't seem to cause her much issue...went through both sides...had her on cam several times after...wounded another doe, finally killed a buck...which was 2.5 vs. the 4.5 club rule...I don't think he will be back...but not up to me...

At face value this person needs to not hunt any animal and go back to training. He sounds like the perfect example of what is wrong with hunting in 2023 - almost anyone can buy the instruments that can kill an animal, but not all of these buyers actually spend time practicing with their instruments, honing their craft, learning and improving. So many buy the instrument, buy a feeder and bait, and then sit and wait and shoot anything that moves.

Depending on rules of the club my membership may have been ended because I would have had words with that member after the first mishap, and come second mishap even more words. Etc. We're not splitting atoms, we are using precise instruments on large bodied animals. C'mon!!! Lol

transfixer

At face value this person needs to not hunt any animal and go back to training. He sounds like the perfect example of what is wrong with hunting in 2023 - almost anyone can buy the instruments that can kill an animal, but not all of these buyers actually spend time practicing with their instruments, honing their craft, learning and improving. So many buy the instrument, buy a feeder and bait, and then sit and wait and shoot anything that moves.

Depending on rules of the club my membership may have been ended because I would have had words with that member after the first mishap, and come second mishap even more words. Etc. We're not splitting atoms, we are using precise instruments on large bodied animals. C'mon!!! Lol

What you're describing is one of the reasons when I ran the club I belonged to I sometimes refused to renew memberships, or sometimes kicked them out in the middle of the season, there were other reasons as well, but haphazardly wounding deer and not recovering them was one that really wound me up.

I have never understood the guys that make a box of shells last two or three seasons, only shooting one or two rounds before season ( if that ) to see if they can hit a pie plate at 50 or so yards, and then blame everything under the sun when the deer they shot , ( or shot at) at 75 or 100yds runs off and they can't find it ! they usually go out and buy a bigger caliber the next season, swearing "they won't run off this year ! " :rolleyes:

DannyW

Not trying to defend this guy by any means, but there is a small dead zone above the lungs and below the spine.

I shot a buck there one time. I overestimated the range and my arrow struck high. He immediately dropped. I assumed a spine shot and watched him. After a minute or two he jumped up and trotted off as if nothing had happened. The shot just stunned him. Never found him, I assumed he lived.

This guy sounds like a deer killer, not a deer hunter.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Not trying to defend this guy by any means, but there is a small dead zone above the lungs and below the spine.

I shot a buck there one time. I overestimated the range and my arrow struck high. He immediately dropped. I assumed a spine shot and watched him. After a minute or two he jumped up and trotted off as if nothing had happened. The shot just stunned him. Never found him, I assumed he lived.

Sounds more like a deer shooter atter.

:bounce:

Tight Lines

He is a nice guy, and learning. We were all there once. My issue is mostly that he doesn't ask for help, nor practice. We all make mistakes...

I will say between rifle and bow, over 40 years, no one in my family has ever lost a deer...that's parents, brother, niece, nephew, and my kids...I have no idea how many deer that is but it's in the hundreds...

Sooner or later it will happen, but 3 in one season is a wake up call...

killerv

You must be shooting a lazer beam to be that flat. I've zeroed many a rifles

My first shot is always at 25, and I adjust to be 1in low at 25, at a hundred depending on velocity, etc, that puts most rifles I shoot (I don't have any magnums) somewhere around 1.5-2in high at 100 ballpark. My rifles, I adjust to 1.5-1.75in high at 100 depending on the round to get me to that 200 maybe 225 yard zero.

For a 200 zero, a 50 yard zero is a better bet if thats all distance you have to zero with. Pretty much what the military has done with their iron sites for years.

We can argue all day long but at the end of the day, we only have to hit something the size of a basketball for a clean kill and moa and even 2 or 3 moa rifles/shooters can accomplish out to further distances.

Last edited:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Says the guy that "talks" about head shots but only posts pics of deer with shoulder shots..:unsure:

Dan DeBord

We have 3 high lines on property i hunt . I zero my rifles 2 inches high at 100 yds . don't shoot over 350 yards . I can target shoot out to 450 where i hunt. Hunt with a 700 Remington 260 cal. and a 308 cal. Cooper.

Deernut3

0 to 300 yards I'll take my .308, powerline, field or mid-west .300 wsm. Shooting is more about the shooter knowing his / her limits and less about ballistics.