Harris Young GA.

Taco4x4

The whole family decided to do something different this year for Christmas. Well ok the women decided. They got together and booked us a nice house/cabin in Harris Young GA.

We live here in Columbus GA. and very seldom see snow. At least any that sticks. I looked at the forecast for there and looks like it will snow the Friday through Monday we plan to stay there.

I have driven in snow and sleet a few times and know how to get through it safely but does anyone have experience with that area and those roads when it snows. Do they take care of that area with the right equipment and salt so you can still get out to a restaurant or whatever. Or do you recommend us not going and canceling it all together.

Instead of taking my wife's Toyota 4runner I said no we will be taking my Tacoma 4x4. I know it will still slip and slide but I want the extra traction. Appreciate any info about that area. Thanks.

Leaving work now. Yea compony PC so I will be checking for any response on Monday morning. You all have a great weekend.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
The whole family decided to do something different this year for Christmas. Well ok the women decided. They got together and booked us a nice house/cabin in Harris Young GA.

We live here in Columbus GA. and very seldom see snow. At least any that sticks. I looked at the forecast for there and looks like it will snow the Friday through Monday we plan to stay there.

I have driven in snow and sleet a few times and know how to get through it safely but does anyone have experience with that area and those roads when it snows. Do they take care of that area with the right equipment and salt so you can still get out to a restaurant or whatever. Or do you recommend us not going and canceling it all together.

Instead of taking my wife's Toyota 4runner I said no we will be taking my Tacoma 4x4. I know it will still slip and slide but I want the extra traction. Appreciate any info about that area. Thanks.

Leaving work now. Yea compony PC so I will be checking for any response on Monday morning. You all have a great weekend.
Don't know the area, but north of I-20 4x4 + snow/sleet/ice = you maybe can back out of the ditch you slid into.

earlthegoat2

Been up that way in Jan. with plenty of snow around.

There were some pretty steep areas but the front wheel drive compact with no ground clearance was all that was needed.

longrangedog

5 gallon buckets with sand or gravel over your rear axle will help with keeping your rear sliding. You'll have to secure the buckets in position. You can use the sand and gravel if you do slide off the road. 4 wheel drive helps you go but doesn't help you stop. Stopping can be a big problem in snow and ice in the mountains.

ucfireman

Cant comment on the roads but I would say go, enjoy the snow if it happens. How often do we in the south get a chance at a white Christmas. I have seen 1, flurries on 1 and heard about 1 the year I was born. And Im 50.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Main roads like US 76 will likely be cleared and passable.
County roads and mountain cabin access could be tricky with snow.

Union and/or Towns Counties Road Departments might be able to advise on whether they typically clear the road to your lodging.

Geffellz18

If you’re taking the 4wd, you won’t have anything to worry about. Just weigh your rear end down as stated above.
If it does snow enough to stick, the Jeepers will do quick work on the Forest Service roads to make even those passable!

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
4 wheel drive no problem with snow just hope it isn't ice.

Anvil Head

If you are there for more than 3 days it'll be gone off the roads and most of the land (or just patches). Very rare for it to stay around very long.
Last three post pretty much say it all.
Got a cabin in NC that requires 4x4 in dry weather. Been "trapped" only once. Got 11", but we are always stocked up. Was able to drive out on day 4 no problem.
And no, I don't have some souped up super special 4x4, just an old Silverado with Mich. mud & snows.
Go enjoy, nothing like the deep woods with a blanket of snow.

transfixer

If you've ever driven in slick red or grey mud , then you'll be able to drive on snow/ice, use very light throttle, and very light braking, slow and steady is the only way to drive in snow or ice/sleet, just because you have 4wd doesn't mean you can drive normally, and weight as mentioned definitely helps, also very light touch with the steering as well, any sudden moves with the steering, gas pedal or brake and you'll regret it

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
If you have a Tacoma you will be fine. Hope for snow and enjoy riding around the mountains. There’s nothing like driving old mountain roads and being the 1st set of tracks in the snow.

ddavis1120

Really nothing to add that hasn’t already been said other than common sense goes a long way. If you have a small chainsaw, you may want to take it just in case. It’s not uncommon for trees (small pines especially) to fall from the weight of the snow. With a heavy snow, fallen trees can inhibit travel on backroads more than the actual snow.

oldfella1962

IMHO the snow isn't the problem, it's the traffic. It's not like you have the option of driving as slow as you need to when other cars are on your behind driving aggressively.

Latest posts