Harris Young GA.

WishboneW

IMHO the snow isn't the problem, it's the traffic. It's not like you have the option of driving as slow as you need to when other cars are on your behind driving aggressively.
I have the responsibility to drive at the speed that does not surpass my ability to safely handle my vehicle. I do not want to be a hazard to myself , my passengers, and others on the road.

For those behind me I pull over when possible and let them pass. I Do not let their anxieties be mine.

transfixer

IMHO the snow isn't the problem, it's the traffic. It's not like you have the option of driving as slow as you need to when other cars are on your behind driving aggressively.

I have a trailer hitch that sticks out a good ways from my bumper, if an idiot wants to get too close to me that is on him, I'm driving slow and steady, if he hits the back of my truck ? first off its his fault for following too close, secondly it will damage his vehicle, usually not mine, I've been rear ended quite a few times , those trailer hitches are virtually indestructible !

natureman

When the weather gets bad you have the choice of not driving in it. But I would be much more fearful of losing power which is pretty common in snow storms in N. GA. Without power when it is in the teens you are miserable.

Last edited:

Anvil Head

I have a trailer hitch that sticks out a good ways from my bumper, if an idiot wants to get too close to me that is on him, I'm driving slow and steady, if he hits the back of my truck ? first off its his fault for following too close, secondly it will damage his vehicle, usually not mine, I've been rear ended quite a few times , those trailer hitches are virtually indestructible !
Yeah, but some times it's hard to shake em off the hitch. Drug a pathfinder a quarter mile before she broke loose.

Taco4x4

Thank you all for the info.
Guess I will leave my big portable tool box in the bed. It's at least a couple hundred pounds. Also will add some extra fire wood along the tailgate just in case of power outage. In that tool box I have several chains of different lengths and a heavy duty chain Come Along. I will add my cordless Sawzall to the box as well. I have about six extra batteries for that thing.

Now the weather is saying snow for just Friday and Saturday so Friday's drive up should be the worst of it. We are leaving Tuesday morning and all should be good by then. Thanks again for info.

Now all I have to worry about is how to stay in the same house with my Mother in law and Brother in law for that many days and nights. lol

You all have a great Christmas. I think we will.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Go ahead and toss in a tow strap so the first local that shows up after you put it in the ditch can pull you out.
And get ready to hear some “flat lander” side comment in the process.. :bounce:

Geffellz18

Now all I have to worry about is how to stay in the same house with my Mother in law and Brother in law for that many days and nights. lol

That’s potentially a much larger concern than the snow forecast,:bounce:!
Enjoy the trip…Safe travels & Merry Christmas

Oldstick

I apologize for my joking comments that got deservedly deleted.

I forgot this was NOT in the campfire forum. But jokes aside, Young Harris, GA is one of my most favorite places in the southeast. Been there many times before. My kids traveled there to play ball games at the college, etc, etc. The people who operate many of the privately owned motels and lodges are some of the nicest people I have ever met anywhere in my life.

MudDucker

Staff member
The biggest thing in slippery conditions is to use your brakes as little as possible. Get out of the accelerator and use the transmission more to slow down. Leave plenty of distance between yourself and other cars and look out for the clowns who don't do this and go careening from side to side across the highway.