Have any of you had a dog with movement disorders, cramping, tremors, dyskenesia, or even seizures?

Ive got a small dog I took in a little over 2 years ago. He is a mix of a border collie and a pomeranian best I can tell. About 6 months in he started having these short lived spells where he kind got frozen and cramped up, rear limbs draw up, midsection twist. Seems it starts with wide eyes and balance loss. Alert the entire time, no convulsions, even obeys commands. As he comes out of it his head trembles a minute. 5 mins tops and he is back to running, barking, jumping around like a mad man.

Sound familiar to anyone?

He is going to vet this week. His checkup last summer I presented this to the vet. They examined him and gave his shots. Said his blood work and exam were normal. They recommended to just monitor it. He went over winter without one Jan/Feb. Started in March, more frequent now but less pronounced. Was every 2 to 3 weeks. Has had 2 in 2 days and 2 in 2 days last week.

Estimated around 5 years old.

0622201836c.jpg

CurLee

Get him back to the vet. Sounds like seizing to me, but Im no expert. Had a Doberman go through this his last couple years. He was off in the head a little more after each big one.

Get him back to the vet. Sounds like seizing to me, but Im no expert. Had a Doberman go through this his last couple years. He was off in the head a little more after each big one.

These arent seizures. Had a dog that went through seizures. He is alert, responsive. Its like he is caught up in a cramping spell and head tremble. No loss of consciousness or convulsions. Its like he gets stuck.

They have increased in frequency recently. Thats what worries me.

westcobbdog

He looks part Golden, we had a Golden who had a seizures and it was painful to watch. He has since passed. We have another 12 year old Golden who never has had one.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Does he have any food or other allergies?
I have 4 y.o that s rated having seizures very similar to what you discribe.
He would have one every 45-47 days like clockwork.Some of the flea/tick /heartworm meds can do this to dogs.
I figured out my wife was feeding him bad for him people food.Since she stopped and he is back on his regular kibble/treats they have stopped.

Does he have any food or other allergies?
I have 4 y.o that s rated having seizures very similar to what you discribe.
He would have one every 45-47 days like clockwork.Some of the flea/tick /heartworm meds can do this to dogs.
I figured out my wife was feeding him bad for him people food.Since she stopped and he is back on his regular kibble/treats they have stopped.

Yeah to my fault he gets too many scraps. He seems to have allergies like sneezing and watery eyes.

The vet he saw last ran us through like livestock. Didnt seem to want to listen to me much. Young guy. Didnt like him. Hot shot. Seemed in a hurry.

Gonna take him to see a vet I found thats in his 60s, experienced and a career behind him. Acworth native. Nothing replaces experience.

Finest vet ever passed a few years back. Wish he was around and could care for him. Dr. Richard Best. Doctored my animals for 30 years.

Last edited:
He looks part Golden, we had a Golden who had a seizures and it was painful to watch. He has since passed. We have another 12 year old Golden who never has had one.
Hes not a golden. He's small. Under 20 lbs. White belly and chest hair like a pomeranian. He's got some kind of working collie in him. Herds everything and everybody. A sentinel. Patrolling always. 100 mph one gear like a border collie. Hair is just like a pomeranian but he's no lap yap. He's a hunter. Killing rodents is his favorite activity.0606201440a.jpg

Last edited:

27metalman

I had a mix rat terrier & jack russell that did this. We would play and he might just go down... 2-3 mins later he'd try to get his senses and come back to life like nothing happened. One day he didn't come back... died in my arms. My vet never found anything either. I think it was maybe seizures and a heart condition. None of pups from the litter he came from made it past 4 or 5 yrs I think.

My mixed breed did the same thing. Wife is a vet tech. Dog was treated at her office and by a cardiologist in Charleston. Symptoms of congestive heart failure, however it was well managed with medication for years. She would go stiff but her eyes were still alert. Scary. Almost like she was dying when it happened.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had a Jack Russell that started doing that, but that was when he was 14 years old. The vet said likely a brain tumor when we took him in to get him put down.

All vacs and checkup today. Heart, lungs, ears, eyes, nasal passages, lymph gland exam, head and body exam, reflexes all checked out healthy and normal. Blood panel, thyroid, urine, and fecal ordered.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Sounds like my mini-pin, rat terrier mix.

He has epilepsy. Was getting worse till we switched vets. They put him on different meds and a different anti-seizure recovery meds.

Not many vets know how to deal with this effectively.

ETA- hope you get it figured out.

Eta2- my previous vet said the suppository recovery pill (1/3 the size of a regular hotdog) was the only med available. I wanted to know how I was supposed to get that pill in there without killing him.....

Last edited:

Patriot44

Banned
YES! My older Golden had gotten tot he point where she could barely stand up, especially in the mornings and had all but given up. All she did was sleep all day. My daughter got her some CBD and she is a new dog. Like she is 7 years old again. Gives the stupid hound pup a run for his money and is as rambunctious as ever. Wish that we would have found it a couple of years ago.

snooker1

Ive got a small dog I took in a little over 2 years ago. He is a mix of a border collie and a pomeranian best I can tell. About 6 months in he started having these short lived spells where he kind got frozen and cramped up, rear limbs draw up, midsection twist. Seems it starts with wide eyes and balance loss. Alert the entire time, no convulsions, even obeys commands. As he comes out of it his head trembles a minute. 5 mins tops and he is back to running, barking, jumping around like a mad man.

Sound familiar to anyone?

He is going to vet this week. His checkup last summer I presented this to the vet. They examined him and gave his shots. Said his blood work and exam were normal. They recommended to just monitor it. He went over winter without one Jan/Feb. Started in March, more frequent now but less pronounced. Was every 2 to 3 weeks. Has had 2 in 2 days and 2 in 2 days last week.

Estimated around 5 years old.

View attachment 1024493

I have a 2 year old Boxer who has head tremors His head shakes for two or three minutes then it over Vet has run all kinds of test and at the end of it I was told he would grow out of it. It doesn't slow him down one bit.

ucfireman

Sounds like seizures to me, get another vet opinion.
Maybe a poison if he like to kill rats. Neighbor my be doing some poisoning of them.
I had a dog 10-11 yrs Rat terrier that developed seizures, Did do any med's. Hers seemed to be brought on by excitement. Tried to keep her calm.
Good luck and enjoy what ever time y'all have, I miss mine like crazy!!!!!

Vet called today. High white blood cells in urine. They have anitbiotics ready for lower urinary tract infection.

Been doing some reading on wheat gluten filler in dog food and food allergies. Some dogs develop UTIs and have even had seizure like and cramping symptoms from suspected wheat gluten fillers in their food.

Going to change his food to a wheat filler free brand and get him on the antibiotics. Seems normal between spells.

jcbcpa

I had a little rat terrier that would do that and it was always worse in the summer. She had an enlarged heart and thyroid issues. She started with the "seizures" when she was young, maybe 2 and lived to be 9. She took heart medication and thyroid medication but that's all, and she had the seizures until she died.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Look into Victor dog food
It cost more than a lot of other dog kibble.
.but you don,t have to feed as much to give them the nutrition they need.
My 50 lb. mamas dog only eats a cup and 1/2 per day.