Hog Backstrap Question

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
No. Do you soak a steak in water before you cook it? Does your butcher soak meat before they package it? I hope not. Some folks do, I like to dry age mine when possible. Bacteria thrives in water, you’re basically making a myoglobin (the red watery juice that runs out of meat is not blood) soup for bacteria to grow in when you soak it water, plus it leaches all the minerals and flavorful compounds out via osmosis leaving the meat that aweful light gray color. Let it work through rigor hanging dry (which is has already done overnight) butcher and package.
Yeah this^^^
Chris likes his pigs, and is correct…….he ain’t trying to be mean either. Cooler of ice with an open drain hole is how I roll. Dry cooling would best, but most folks can’t do that. When I SOAKED pork in he past, I found myself trimming waaaay to much due to greying of meat on the edge……..what a waste that was.
And yes, Ant is right too…….shoulder=best meat!

chrislibby88

Wow, we shot several that size this past weekend. How long will a hog last frozen if it wasn't gutted?
Thaw it and smell the meat. Those guts need to come out ASAP really. The gut is full of bacteria, everything they eat off the ground is covered with bacteria. When the hog dies the immune system stops keeping the bacteria in check, and it begins to grow and spoil the meat. Bacteria generate heat. Cooling slows this process, but it could take more than a day to fully cool the pig to the inside of the guts, meanwhile that bacteria is growing and spreading into the surrounding tissue.

Last edited:

HogKillaDNR

I'll definitely do that.