Hogs and more hogs

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you're hunting an area where hogs are getting out of control. Shoot them, whatever shows up. But for best control of the numbers shoot the sows first if you have a choice. A bar or young gilt makes excellent pork for consumption. I'm selective and only butcher hogs that look good, clean, without a strong smell and then only if I need the meat. Old boars are left for the varmits, others are given to folks who on my list who will take the hogs.
Here in SW Ga, farms are harvesting what the hogs have not destroyed. As harvesting continues, we're seeing more hogs show up in our woods. More deer are showing up too.

Attachments

• spypoint (25).jpg
    spypoint (25).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 123
  • BigBar3.jpg
    BigBar3.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Gilt Dec 26.jpg
    Gilt Dec 26.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Dec2018.jpg
    Dec2018.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Dec112016bighog.jpg
    Dec112016bighog.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 147
  • Jackdouble.jpg
    Jackdouble.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 147

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
On the last picture "JackDouble" did you shoot the deer first or the hog?
Young fellow in my group shot the hog. Texted me and asked if he needed to get down and take the hog out. I told him NO, stay put. One shot doesn't give a deer much location or fear. A deer might stop for a few seconds and when hearing nothing else will continue roaming. Few minutes later, the buck showed up. After the shot, the buck ran off. I was texted and told he had lost the blood trail. I told him, that when you run out of blood, the deer has usually turned right or left. he looked right a few yards and found it. I've had many deer show up soon after I have shot a hog, coyote etc.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I finally went and hunted yesterday morning, then couple of us worked on the Kubota. It had a problem of running about twenty minutes then losing power, like starving for diesel. We figured it had to be gunk in the tank, and it was. New fuel filters were clogging up too. While under the tractor, we also noticed a U joint gone in the front drive shaft. Now I need to see if a new yoke for the front shaft can be found, and the U joint to fit. This is a 4x4 BX2200. Oh well, with that on hold, we then drained the radiator on the Ford tractor, refilled with antifreeze/water. Added oil and filled with gas, it's ready. Anyway, I sat and watched a hog trail from 7:30 am until 11 Am and saw nothing. Coming back from town we saw three nice size shoats in the road right at the trail I had watched all morning. I'll get them eventually, they just don't know it.

Attachments

• Kubota repairs.jpg
    Kubota repairs.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 22

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
How do y'all like my golf cart roof on the Kubota? Nice for shade, and it's kept me from getting soaked by rain a couple times already. The Kubota is one strong little tractor, I also have the belly mower for it.

Dreamer69

If you're hunting an area where hogs are getting out of control. Shoot them, whatever shows up. But for best control of the numbers shoot the sows first if you have a choice. A bar or young gilt makes excellent pork for consumption. I'm selective and only butcher hogs that look good, clean, without a strong smell and then only if I need the meat. Old boars are left for the varmits, others are given to folks who on my list who will take the hogs.
Here in SW Ga, farms are harvesting what the hogs have not destroyed. As harvesting continues, we're seeing more hogs show up in our woods. More deer are showing up too.
Wish you were closer to me. I sure could use some wild hog meat. Especially the ones you dont want. Cant hardly find anyone around here with hogs. We used to kill them and eat them all the time. Great pics. Enjoy your threads.

Doug B.

In hawaii it's common place to catch the boar with dogs and neuter than release, often cut a ear to know the pigs been caught. Some of the bigs boars I've killed were these and tasted phenomenal. Notice missing ears on pig in photo.View attachment 1113532
I have eaten some big boars that were great. I'm sure all of the big boars are not good to eat, but it seems like a lot of people already have their minds made up that they are not fit to eat. The biggest boar I have ever killed went over 300 lbs. It was some of the best meat I have ever eat.

Dreamer69

I have eaten some big boars that were great. I'm sure all of the big boars are not good to eat, but it seems like a lot of people already have their minds made up that they are not fit to eat. The biggest boar I have ever killed went over 300 lbs. It was some of the best meat I have ever eat.
Same here. Some of the best meat I have eaten has been from big boars. Cut them soon as they hit the ground and its tasty to me after processing it.

Big7

The Oracle
Well then.. ?

Me and one of my hunting/fishing buddy's will definitely shoot some for you if you got a shady spot big enough for a tent.

Seriously.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
On the last picture "JackDouble" did you shoot the deer first or the hog?
A member shot both, hog first. He then text me and asked if he should get down. I told him to stay put, Minutes later the buck showed up.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The hogs come and go. I've got the traps ready for when they return. Think our property got too dry to suit them for now. We need rain so we can put in our 15 food plots. I've already got most of them broke ready for planting.

Attachments

• gopher plot.jpeg
    gopher plot.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 28