how close do you park to your stand??

Racor

Normally I try to park as close as possible...20-25yds would be nice but I'm guessing typical 1/2 mile is the norm.

Rebel 3

Usually I park about 1/2 to 1 mile from my truck. For the most part I enjoy the walk even though it often takes an hour.

ponyboy

:rolleyes: park at....hmmmmmmmmm.... :crazy: i usually tie the horse up behind the stand . :cool: good cover scent if da wind changes..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SADDADDY

ever have a guy park 30 yrds from you

opening morning one season I had one of our members pull up and park no more than 30yrds from me :crazy: we pinned in and everybody knew where everybody was hunting, I parked about 1/4mile away and walked into in stand before daylight.

happen to be my stand was located in a real good funnel that ran along a good portion of one of the club roads, and in this area the road gets about 20-30yrds from the bottom, the deer cross the road and walk through the bottom in this area.

well at first light I see a few does move through and it was shaping up to be a good hunt, then about 7am I hear a truck coming down the road, then he pulls up and parks right on top of the major trail crossing the road, I watch him get out look at all the tracks and scratch his head a minute and grab his gear out of the truck and his gun, messes around a minute and slams his door :banginghe

I thought about yelling at him but what's the use my hunt was in the dumper, so I thought maybe the deer will go around and use the bottom for cover :huh:

so a little upset I sat for a while, and no more than an hour later I hear him throwing his stuff in the truck, slamming doors and making more noise, so I climbed down and walked up to him, he looked kinda confused try to figure out where I came from :huh:

He says "have any luck" I said nope, and I pointed towards my stand and said do you see where I was sitting :huh:

Oops My bad he said :hammers:

carabrook

Gone But Not Forgotten
two weeks ago, the sunday before season I drove our rhino to a stand, parked five feet away got in the stand and one hour later had two does eating about 70 yds up the hill, then another one walked out below the stand about 30 feet away so go figure.

gabowman

I want my vehicle out of sight of me. I cant stand looking at the truck from my stand.

Once me and a bud had box stands on legs out in the center of a powerline. We'd bush hog all the powerline except for 50 yards all around our box stands and drive our 4 wheelers right under the stands. Worked great. Deer wouldnt smell those rubber tires on the road down the middle of the powerline and couldnt see the 4 wheelers either. That was a sweet set up.

I park close early in the season when it is hot and deer are less spooked, it makes for less sweat and scent. I'll park further away after the season gets further along and I can walk a long distance with out breaking a sweat.

7Mag Hunter

Parking close ???

We have guys in our club, who park "under" their climber...
They "swear" it does not bother the deer.... :huh:

I will park 4 wheeler several hundered yards from actual
tree on club....WMAs, and public land...I walk....

7mag hunter

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I walk all 150-300 yards from the house to my stands. When hunting Piedmont, I walk about 700-1000 yards.

SADDADDY

I don't think deer mind the trucks or 4wheelers

I use to hunt along a club road many years ago, I mean it was only 300yrd from camp, I would walk down climb up my ladder stand and wave at the guys driving by in the morning, they all thought I was crazy, but just like clock work at 9am after everybody has left camp here they come, 1,2,3,4 deer then 5,6 etc.. all crossing the road in different areas but I would watch them stop at the edge of the road and look both ways a step out

every once in a while :shoot:
even had a huge 4pt come out right next to me and stood next to my stand and look up and down the road for a bit and walked out like nothing was going on, :shoot: 10yrds he lay dead in the middle of the dirt trail, I walked back got my truck loaded up the deer and had him hanging when they got back :D

killed one of my biggest bucks sitting on my tailgate eating lunch one day, he stepped out about 40yrds away and looked right at me, I guess all he saw was the truck but he never gave it a second look :shoot:

Swamprat

Swamprat
most of my walks are 300 to 500 yards. I will park my vehicle at least a 1/4 mile from the stand if it is feasible. But then I have hunted areas where my truck was 100 yards away and have killed deer. Have also killed deer while sitting in the truck taking a break.

Me and my brother had a club in south carolina that was 1000 acres. once we parked the trucks at camp that is where they stayed except to pick up deer. it was nothing for us to walk a mile to a stand. we figured the less noise and vehicle traffic the better and it payed off. After all we were land surveyors so walking was nothing new.

The stand that ol Saddaddy is talking about is true, i hunted out of that ladder a few times and like clockwork around 9 or so you would see anywhere from 4 to 12 deer crossing at one time. i think the most we ever saw was like 17 or 18 in the span of 1/2 hour

Last edited:

Big M

I park my 4-wheeler about 50 yards from my stand.I always see plenty, of deer. :shoot:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
because we hunt a working cattle farm, we could sit on the hood of our truck and see deer in the pastures and they never even glance our way.

Most of the time I park several hundred yards away

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Normally try to park at least 300-400 yards away. Like to get away from the smell of gas and oil. I know people kill deer with their vehicle right under their nose, but I like to get away from mine.

BLUE-TICK-HOUND

Park 4 Wheeler About 150 Yards From Stand. Don't Trust The Scum Bags That Might Tresspass And Find It. Have A New Stand On Side Of Road Will Park About 75 Yards Away From It.

sgsjr

Banned
Lots of times, I park in my stand and roll down the window. Trucks make excellent deer stands and its you dont fall our when you take a nap.

dominantpredator

::gone:

I am lucky enough that I hunt a small enough tract of land that I can walk to anywhere I hunt, and only drive to get the game I harvest[/QUOTE]
Me too....so sometimes , I have to park within a couple hundred yards if I am hunting really close to the front of our property. And yes, I still see a lot of deer. The deer are used to automobiles and tractors at our farm. I have never had to actually drag one very far down there...although I have had to get the jon boat to cross the swamp and get bucks I killed chasing does on the other side....twice I had to do that.

Duck's and Buck's

I like the hunting in the truck one. One of my buddies did that once and propped up on the bed to shoot a deer across the other side of the truck and blew a hole in his bed side. He got poked at for a while on that one. ::ke:

Latest posts