The age old question…. how long before sunrise are you in?

mtclev5651

Hey everyone! Trying to figure out plans to jump in the woods in the morning after I toss my boy on the bus.

In your experience, how long are you in the stand before sunrise to be successful?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
20-30 minutes tops, longer is just silly to me, especially on a cold day.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
^^^^Wisdom

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I walk in as day breaks, and aim for it to be shooting light when I get settled.

I don't leave the truck if I still need a light.
Think I’m evolving towards your train of thought.
When I first started deer hunting I’d sit in the dark for an hour or more, dumb.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That's a good nap though!
I was mostly in the Ozarks then, it was pretty cold that time of year. Did more shivering than napping.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Was a time when it was an hour or so before light. Past years I’ve gotten more into slipping in at first light. Plenty of opportunities to kill on the way to the stand.
I walk in as day breaks, and aim for it to be shooting light when I get settled.

I don't leave the truck if I still need a light.
This nowadays. I used to go in way before daylight, and figured out all I was doing was blowing the deer out. I sneak in at first light now.

catch22

the trend I see.....the older generation prefers right at day break. The real young hunters want to be in hours before....those of us in the middle are more like 15-20mins

I could be wrong but I think that generalization is accurate with the fellas Ive hunted with over the years.