The age old question…. how long before sunrise are you in?

Buckstop

I like just enough light to keep from tripping and crunching. No flashlight needed. Getting in way early just leaves more scent around you for the ones passing by in the dark to pick up on.

I sometimes do get to where I'm parking the golf cart 30 min early and sit there and sip coffee and watch the sky and shooting stars. Especially when clear, cool and moonless. We don't have those skies anymore where I live.

slow motion

My goal is 30 minutes before legal shooting time, which is 30 minutes before sunrise, so 1 hr. before. Don't always work that way so I go in when I can. Have been busted in the dark, twilight, and full light so for me that's a toss up. Do like watching everything come alive in the twilight. Usually walk out with a light too.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
It depends on the area I'm hunting. There's a few spots it takes me an hr and a half to get to so I get up and go accordingly. The goal is to be settled in by the time the birds wake up. I'll take a sandwich and stay ALL day. I've killed my oldest bucks between 11 and 3 and a couple at last light. Those long hikes I usually leave half an hr before sunset cause I don't want to stay up all night getting them out. That sucks solo.

Hey everyone! Trying to figure out plans to jump in the woods in the morning after I toss my boy on the bus.

In your experience, how long are you in the stand before sunrise to be successful?
I like to be in, calmed and cooled down, at least 30 minutes before legal shooting light.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I’ve always been one to try and get in and set up before daybreak, at least 30 mins to an hour early, especially on those longer walks in. I like to already be settled in before daylight. I’ve had pretty good success on morning hunts doing it this way, so old habits are hard to change, I reckon. If I don’t have that far to walk, I may get in there just before daylight, or right after. Those longer walks, I do want to get on in there pretty early.

I don’t think there is wrong time to enter your stand. In some situations it may be best to wait till after light to enter. Just go and hunt.

Big7

The Oracle
I try to be on stand about an hour before daylight so that would be about one hour and 20 minutes before shooting light.

That's after putting out scent or cover, in the stand so everything can settle back down.

I come out 45 minutes after shooting light on evening hunts.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Another thing, I don’t get in a hurry walking in. I like to ease in, and do the same coming out. Some people sound like a herd of elephants walking in and out of the woods. :bounce: I hate making any type of noise.

grif

I like to be early because there’s nothing in the world like watching God’s creation come to life. Especially when it’s frosty cold. And if you happen to nod off that’ll be the best nap you ever had. As far as killing deer, arrival time don’t matter much.

HermanMerman

Always preferred to be settled an hour before shooting light. Probably not necessary but I’ll have a thermos full of coffee that’s nice to sip on while everything around me wakes up.

furtaker

I generally get settled in the stand right at good shooting light but I always feel like I'm late. I guess I don't really understand people talking about running deer out before daylight? I've ran deer out going in late like that too, had them standing almost right under my stand when I walked in, and I've had them walk up on me about the time I'm turning around to sit down. I'd prefer to be a few minutes earlier but for some reason I never make it. Especially if I have a pretty good drive to get there.

sprewett

Usually I am in about 20-30 before shooting light. But I. The Sapelo hunt I have been dropped off what seemed like hours before first light. At the family land in Jeff Davis county if I can't sleep well I will get up and go crawl in my grandad's condo stand lean back in one of the desk chairs and put my feet in the other and sleep the remainder of the night.
If I am going to a place I have no idea about or it is dangerous I get there after shooting light.

Full Draw McGraw

I'm usually getting set up right about shooting light... which means i was running late.
Now that i think about it i've only ever shot one or two deer before about 8am. Going in at first light is starting to make sense to me.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’ve hunted the same land for over 20 years, stands are alway in pretty much the same place. I’ve busted a lot more deer going in before light than after. So I typically ease to the stand when it’s light enough to see my feet. If I’m bow hunting I’ll start a little earlier, takes a little longer to get settled with a bow. I hunt til I can’t see my pins or clearly see a deer past 20 yds or so in the evening.

Timberbeast

I plan to be be settled before shooting light mostly to hear the woods wake up. I’ll jump in the 30 minutes before light camp. I walk in with a green light if needed.