How is teaching evolution NOT state sponsored athiesism?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I would have to say Gods light. Also, ya ever seen these folks that grow stuff with grow lights and no sun? Don't need sun if you got light.

Must be what grew all his herb in 11.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The earth began as nothing but water and darkness, and all the animals were in Galúnlati, above the stone vault that makes up the sky. Eventually Galúnlati became so crowded that the animals needed more room, and they wanted to move down to earth. Not knowing what was below the water, they sent down the Water-beetle to explore. Water-beetle dove below the water and eventually came back with some mud from below. That mud grew and grew, and finally it became the island that we call earth. This island of earth is suspended at its four corners from ropes that hang down from the sky, and legend has it that some day the ropes will break and the earth will sink back into the water.

Because it grew from mud, the new earth was very soft. Many of the birds flew down to explore the new land, but it was too wet for them to stay. Finally Buzzard flew down, hoping it was dry, but the earth was still wet. Buzzard searched and searched, especially in the Cherokee country, and finally he became so tired that his wings flapped against the ground. His wings dug valleys where they hit the ground and turned up mountains where they pulled away, leaving the rugged country of the Cherokee.

Eventually the earth was dry and the animals moved down. There still was no light, however, and so the animals set the sun passing from east to west just over their heads. With the sun so close, many of the animals were burned, giving the red crawfish its crimson color. The animals raised the sun again and again, until it was high enough that all could survive.

When the plants and animals first came to earth, they were told to stay awake for seven nights, as in the Cherokee medicine ceremony. The animals all stayed awake the first night, and many stayed awake the next few nights, but only the owl and the panther and a couple of others stayed awake all seven nights. They were given the ability to see at night and so to hunt at night when the others are asleep. The same thing happened among the trees, and only the cedar, pine, spruce, holly and laurel stayed awake all seven nights, which is why they can stay green all year when the others lose their leaves.

Humans came after the animals. At first they multiplied rapidly, and the first woman give birth every seven days. Eventually there were so many of them that it seemed they might not all survive, and since then to this day each woman has been able to have just one child each year. Among these early people were a man and a woman name Kanáti and Selu, whose names meant "The Lucky Hunter" and "Corn", respectively. Kanáti would go hunting and invariably return with game, which Selu would prepare by the stream near their home. She also would always return home with baskets of corn, which she would pound to make meal for bread.

Kanáti and Selu had a little boy, and he would play by the stream. Eventually they realized that he was playing with another little boy who had arisen from the blood of the game washed by the stream. With their son's help they caught the other boy, and eventually he lived with them like he was their own son, although he was called "the Wild Boy".

Kanáti brought home game whenever he went hunting, and one day the two boys decided to follow him. They followed him into the mountains until he came to a large rock, which he pulled aside to reveal a cave from which a buck emerged. Kanáti shot the buck and, after covering the cave, he headed home. The boys got home before him and didn't reveal what they had learned, but a few days later they returned to the rock. With a struggle they pulled it aside and had great fun watching the deer come out of the cave. They lost track of what they were doing, however, and soon all sorts of game animals - rabbit and turkeys and partridges and buffalo and all - escaped from the cave. Kanáti saw all these animals coming down the mountain and knew what the boys must have done, and he went up the mountain after them. He opened four jars in the cave, and from them came fleas and lice and gnats and bedbugs that attacked the boys. He sent them home, hoping he could find some of the dispersed game for the supper. Thus it is that people must now hunt for game.

Lots of people believed this for thousands of years just as firmly as some believe every word in Genesis.

WaltL1

The earth began as nothing but water and darkness, and all the animals were in Galúnlati, above the stone vault that makes up the sky. Eventually Galúnlati became so crowded that the animals needed more room, and they wanted to move down to earth. Not knowing what was below the water, they sent down the Water-beetle to explore. Water-beetle dove below the water and eventually came back with some mud from below. That mud grew and grew, and finally it became the island that we call earth. This island of earth is suspended at its four corners from ropes that hang down from the sky, and legend has it that some day the ropes will break and the earth will sink back into the water.

Because it grew from mud, the new earth was very soft. Many of the birds flew down to explore the new land, but it was too wet for them to stay. Finally Buzzard flew down, hoping it was dry, but the earth was still wet. Buzzard searched and searched, especially in the Cherokee country, and finally he became so tired that his wings flapped against the ground. His wings dug valleys where they hit the ground and turned up mountains where they pulled away, leaving the rugged country of the Cherokee.

Eventually the earth was dry and the animals moved down. There still was no light, however, and so the animals set the sun passing from east to west just over their heads. With the sun so close, many of the animals were burned, giving the red crawfish its crimson color. The animals raised the sun again and again, until it was high enough that all could survive.

When the plants and animals first came to earth, they were told to stay awake for seven nights, as in the Cherokee medicine ceremony. The animals all stayed awake the first night, and many stayed awake the next few nights, but only the owl and the panther and a couple of others stayed awake all seven nights. They were given the ability to see at night and so to hunt at night when the others are asleep. The same thing happened among the trees, and only the cedar, pine, spruce, holly and laurel stayed awake all seven nights, which is why they can stay green all year when the others lose their leaves.

Humans came after the animals. At first they multiplied rapidly, and the first woman give birth every seven days. Eventually there were so many of them that it seemed they might not all survive, and since then to this day each woman has been able to have just one child each year. Among these early people were a man and a woman name Kanáti and Selu, whose names meant "The Lucky Hunter" and "Corn", respectively. Kanáti would go hunting and invariably return with game, which Selu would prepare by the stream near their home. She also would always return home with baskets of corn, which she would pound to make meal for bread.

Kanáti and Selu had a little boy, and he would play by the stream. Eventually they realized that he was playing with another little boy who had arisen from the blood of the game washed by the stream. With their son's help they caught the other boy, and eventually he lived with them like he was their own son, although he was called "the Wild Boy".

Kanáti brought home game whenever he went hunting, and one day the two boys decided to follow him. They followed him into the mountains until he came to a large rock, which he pulled aside to reveal a cave from which a buck emerged. Kanáti shot the buck and, after covering the cave, he headed home. The boys got home before him and didn't reveal what they had learned, but a few days later they returned to the rock. With a struggle they pulled it aside and had great fun watching the deer come out of the cave. They lost track of what they were doing, however, and soon all sorts of game animals - rabbit and turkeys and partridges and buffalo and all - escaped from the cave. Kanáti saw all these animals coming down the mountain and knew what the boys must have done, and he went up the mountain after them. He opened four jars in the cave, and from them came fleas and lice and gnats and bedbugs that attacked the boys. He sent them home, hoping he could find some of the dispersed game for the supper. Thus it is that people must now hunt for game.

Lots of people believed this for thousands of years just as firmly as some believe every word in Genesis.
See now that story seems reasonable.
But the Christian story? No way :D

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
And I’m sure many tried, but who proved either story wrong???

I don’t believe in Big Foot, but I have absolutely zero, nothing to prove he doesn’t exist. I can assume he doesn’t because I walked in the woods and hit a few trees and looked for big foot tracks and didn’t find him.

I’ve asked this question on here before, are you 100% positive that God doesn’t exist??

Don’t play the cop out of “you prove he does”. That’s not the question, the question is are you 100% positive that he doesn’t.

Before someone does ask, no I can’t prove to you that God exist. I’m simply asking you to prove he doesn’t.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

I don’t believe in Big Foot, but I have absolutely zero, nothing to prove he doesn’t exist. I can assume he doesn’t because I walked in the woods and hit a few trees and looked for big foot tracks and didn’t find him.

I’ve asked this question on here before, are you 100% positive that God doesn’t exist??

Don’t play the cop out of “you prove he does”. That’s not the question, the question is are you 100% positive that he doesn’t.

Before someone does ask, no I can’t prove to you that God exist. I’m simply asking you to prove he doesn’t.
According to that line of thought, anything that anyone can dream up "exists" because it is impossible to prove a negative.

When someone says that something exists the burden of proof lies directly on them to back up their claim. When something such as a god is claimed the old saying of Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence is expected if that is to be believed.

If you have yourself convinced that you cannot prove the claims of a Flying Spaghetti Monster, Bigfoot, Marshmellow Ponies, and Leprechauns etc are fake, therefore you have to believe they could exist,....that is on you.
That line of thought is expected and no doubt the reason that you believe the way you do regarding gods.

Some of us require actual proof. If a god lived up to even 1/10 of the claims of it's believers, nobody could deny it's existence.

WaltL1

This argument is even worse than the "If they did something wrong then they aren't REAL Christians" argument.
Its obvious you are all smart guys but your choices in arguments to hang your hats on really suck :D

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I have no idea if God exists or not. I personally believe that there is a higher power of some sort out there, but I don't see how I could presume to understand it, much less know exactly what it wants. I also seriously doubt that if God exists, that he/she/it is much at all like any of the gods worshiped by the major religions. I think most people sense the presence of a higher power, and develop their own interpretation of it based on their own culture. So, yeah, I pretty much believe in some sort of higher power, but I don't think any of the world's major religions are very representative of it as a whole.

WaltL1

I don’t believe in Big Foot, but I have absolutely zero, nothing to prove he doesn’t exist.
Sure you do.
Until Big Foot has been proven to exist.... Big Foot doesn't exist.
Name ANYTHING, just one thing, that exists that hasn't been proven to exist.

ambush80

I have no idea if God exists or not. I personally believe that there is a higher power of some sort out there, but I don't see how I could presume to understand it, much less know exactly what it wants. I also seriously doubt that if God exists, that he/she/it is much at all like any of the gods worshiped by the major religions. I think most people sense the presence of a higher power, and develop their own interpretation of it based on their own culture. So, yeah, I pretty much believe in some sort of higher power, but I don't think any of the world's major religions are very representative of it as a whole.

Do you feel that the higher power has a consciousness? Does it intervene in our lives?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
This argument is even worse than the "If they did something wrong then they aren't REAL Christians" argument.
Its obvious you are all smart guys but your choices in arguments to hang your hats on really suck :D

But I’m not arguing::ke: and I’m feeling bullied right now :D

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Sure you do.
Until Big Foot has been proven to exist.... Big Foot doesn't exist.
Name ANYTHING, just one thing, that exists that hasn't been proven to exist.

For me.........God ;)

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
When someone says that something exists the burden of proof lies directly on them.

I understand what you’re saying and that’s the tactic, but essentially, when someone makes a claim that something doesn’t exist, there're also burdened to prove that claim.

If they’re not sure, then ok they have nothing to prove. That’s why I asked “can you be 100% positive”.

We’ve been down this road before and it always comes back the same, you’re requiring physical evidence for something that’s faith based. Won’t happen.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

I can respect that.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
one issue that you would have is getting the atheist to admit that atheism is a religion.

They deny that the belief system they follow is a religion unto itself, but if you examine that belief system, it sure looks like a religion.

It's a religion in everything but name.