How many of yall throw back big crappie?

Redbeardless

Dutch said it all!!! I worked in Memphis for a couple of years and fished Arkabutla and Sardis regularly. They had a 12" size limit. It was unbelievable. If you halfway knew what you were doing, you could catch a twenty fish limit, all over 12" easily. The spawn was incredible, I have never seen crappie that big anywhere else. I got my personal best in Sardis, 19", 3 lbs. 15 oz. and had four fish that day over three pounds.
As far as keeping fish here, I respect anyone that releases larger fish to spawn, but I release to the grease!!!

littlejon

Dutch said it all!!! I worked in Memphis for a couple of years and fished Arkabutla and Sardis regularly. They had a 12" size limit. It was unbelievable. If you halfway knew what you were doing, you could catch a twenty fish limit, all over 12" easily. The spawn was incredible, I have never seen crappie that big anywhere else. I got my personal best in Sardis, 19", 3 lbs. 15 oz. and had four fish that day over three pounds.
As far as keeping fish here, I respect anyone that releases larger fish to spawn, but I release to the grease!!!
I agree with you but that 3 lb 15 oz one just might have to go on the wall :)
At that size who know how long it has to live or before it gets swallowed by a predator fish. I like putting my larger fish back to keep the gene pool going. Hopefully catch its youngins in a few years.

panfishvinnie

Fished Grenada with my buddy for a week this spring. We each caught our personal best crappies. His was 2 lb 9 oz. 16," mine was 2 lb 8 oz. 15.10". Both were busting with eggs and we released them for brood stock. We kept 50 to fillet and bring home that were 1 1/2 - 1 3/4lbs. I would like to see a 10-in limit on a few lakes here in Georgia, and in time to come, a 12-in limit like the big four lakes in Mississippi.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Fished Grenada with my buddy for a week this spring. We each caught our personal best crappies. His was 2 lb 9 oz. 16," mine was 2 lb 8 oz. 15.10". Both were busting with eggs and we released them for brood stock. We kept 50 to fillet and bring home that were 1 1/2 - 1 3/4lbs. I would like to see a 10-in limit on a few lakes here in Georgia, and in time to come, a 12-in limit like the big four lakes in Mississippi.
Y’all got me to thinking, I can’t catch a crappie to save my life, but I KNOW Allatoona (my lake) has a bunch. Has the increased size limit ever been discussed at a DNR meeting ? I wonder if it was proposed, how many would be crying they can’t catch a keeper?. Yeah, I got off topic, but I’d be for an increase in size limit.
I only seem to catch a crappie on accident, but it’s usually a big one. I have usually thrown them back.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Y’all got me to thinking, I can’t catch a crappie to save my life, but I KNOW Allatoona (my lake) has a bunch. Has the increased size limit ever been discussed at a DNR meeting ? I wonder if it was proposed, how many would be crying they can’t catch a keeper?. Yeah, I got off topic, but I’d be for an increase in size limit.
I only seem to catch a crappie on accident, but it’s usually a big one. I have usually thrown them back.
Increase size limit has never been discussed (at least publicly) as far as I know.

IF crappie size limit was increased there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, thats why I say just pick ONE lake and do it. That those that want to keep a limit of 4-6 inch fish could do so on most lakes in Georgia...but there would be a lake that had true trophy crappie potential.

I doubt it will ever happen, so everyone can keep fishin how it makes it them happy.

Arrow3

I agree with you but that 3 lb 15 oz one just might have to go on the wall :)
At that size who know how long it has to live or before it gets swallowed by a predator fish. I like putting my larger fish back to keep the gene pool going. Hopefully catch its youngins in a few years.
There ain't many fish in the lake , if any that could swallow a 4lb crappie :rofl:

treadwell

I'm just curious to see how live scoping is going to affect the crappie. What You Tube and it will amaze you at ho w this can impact them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I find it hard to believe you can put a dent in a crappie population in a reservoir. Just my opinion.
Mine also , especially if they don’t have a couple bad spawns in a row . I’ve would love to know how many thousands of pounds are caught and kept just from bank fishing in my area . And they don’t cull nothing

crackerdave

Crappie have a head start on other species because they spawn earlier.
They will take over a small lake or pond.