How many

Blackston

How many times ya hunt a season thread got me thinking…… How many deer do ya see a season from the stand or ground or however u hunt ( I know I see the same deer over and over I count em again) I think my grand total was 53 … some sits were 0, some
were 5 or 6 … How bout y’all ?

kayaksteve

I’ve never made a running total but I need to. I started keeping notes in a calendar/planner book a couple years ago and It’s really cool to look back on. I haven’t logged every hunt, only ones that seem to have some significance and worthy trail cam pictures.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
In some areas and some years, very few. The first year or two I hunted, one, maybe two were seen. In the last 15 years or so, hardly anybody would believe the numbers.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Like everyone, some sits result in a goose, but others will end with 30 or more. You just never know.

The part that always amazes me is how you can strike out one day and see 40 the next in the same area.

buckpasser

That’s a great question. I can’t quantify, but way fewer bucks this year than last.

HermanMerman

Probably 30 or so. I did have a three day stretch in early November last season where I saw 12 different bucks in the same spot. I went back the next weekend and saw one deer total. Must have had a couple of hot does hanging around and they had every fella in town on notice.

Dirtroad Johnson

It's really rare if I don't see deer at every sat, I will say I've been really blessed & see a lot of deer. I pass on young bucks & or other bucks that I'm not interested in. The quality of hunting is as good as it has ever been in my opinion.

Lilly001

Without counting doubles I saw 9 this season. Killed 2.
Fewer overall numbers but I usually only kill 1.
Our acorn crop was non existent. And I blame that for the low numbers.

earlthegoat2

Including my week in MI, a few hundred.

Not including MI, more like 25-30.

Sixes

I really have no idea, but season sightings of just seeing deer on different days would be in the hundreds. Double digit sits were common. I don't know how to count hunting days, some days I hunt mornings, some evening and some both. I call them sits, as in 2 sits a day if I hunt morning and evening.

My best morning this past year was 26 deer with 14 different bucks. Even as late as mid January, I saw 21 in one morning with 11 of them bucks. The second buck I killed this past season was late evening and I had already saw double digits of deer and when the arrow hit him and he took off, deer that I hadn't seen went in every direction.

I hunted a quail plantation a couple years back on a greened up field on the last day of the season. I could see roughly 500 yards across the field and a couple hundred yards to the side and at dark, there was over a 100 deer in that one field. That was uncommon, but it was normal to see 20-50 in an afternoon on one of the green fields in December and January. The less food in the area, the greater number of deer that would concentrate on certain green fields.

The first time that I witnessed those kind of numbers was an early season hunt over a sunflower field. I counted 75 right before dark and lost count with deer continuously going in and out of the sunflowers. It was an amazing place to hunt

James12

0-6 on an average sit. No ideer how many a year. Often times I’m hunting specific spots for a specific deer on the chance it shows, which without a doubt lessens the numbers I often see when sitting over a food source. Sure had paid off though at times. Like fishing with a giant swimbait or an abnormally oversized lure!

Last edited:

BigBass123

I saw about 20-25 this year. Basically a deer and a half seen per sit.

2 bucks, the rest where either does or unidentified.

walukabuck

Well over 100 I'd guess between 2 states. A lot of small bucks every year, especially in Georgia. Usually average killing one deer a season

slow motion

Didn't count but it would be a few hundred I guess in Illinois. Kinda misleading though as those fields compose a lot of acreage that you can see at once. Shortly after harvest they pile into them in the evening. Might see 30 or 40 at once. Once season goes on they get more wary. Didn't get to hunt in Ga. much so maybe 20-30 here. Could be a few more or less.

BowSniper

I try to keep record of it, but forget and lose track of it. A couple of years ago, I was able to keep up with it and saw 56 deer from the stand and 46 came in bow range. One particular morning this past year, my son and I saw 21 deer in the morning and 4 that afternoon. Definitely not the norm though.

BowSniper