Hunting Health

MCBUCK

What is the worst health you have ever hunted in ?
I once hunted on a sither sex hunt on Coosawattee in 1986
with a 102 temp !! My wife had a fit !! And she even considered having me committed. :eek: I know I was insane for such, but...I had to go.

Who else is nuts.

Atlsooner

Sorry MCBuck...........I have to agree with your wife. I love to out there as well, but if I was feeling that, ain't no way I would have the energy to drag a deer out, let alone drive to my lease.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Only ever rememebring being sick once (honestly) and it was some type of virus and was losing weight fast...about 6 lbs that week!, but at the exact same time I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled. I missed work, but did not miss the woods.

Jim

raghorn

I went out with back problems one time at John's Mtn. WMA and got down on the ground and absolutely could not get back up. Another hunter just happened to be in the same area and helped me up and out to my truck.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I had my gall bladder and apendix removed back in November of 2001.

Three days after they released me from the hospital I was up in a tree. Had these 4 big patches on my chest and really wasn't supposed to be hunting. Shot my biggest buck to date on that hunt!! Had to get some help to drag him out however.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
last fall re-diagnosed with cancer on chemo took my 11 yr old hunting felt like XXIT but it was worth it -- didn't see a thing eddy

H

HT2

M C.........

I've never really been sick and hunted..........

But, I'm sure I would if the situation presented itself.........

Especially when the "RUT" was happening.....

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I think one of the most miserable times I had was during bow season in 97. I had a nasty cold during the beginning of bowseason.

90+ degrees, bugs, sweating, runny nose, and trying not to hack and sneeze snot all over the woods!!!

But I'd rather be doing all that in a deer stand than laying in bed with some Nyquil next to me!! ;) :D

Tommy

ramblinrack

i've climbed a tree biting down on a pencil between my teeth due to back pain. i saw three deer, but couldn't position myself to take a shot. just as well, because i would have never been able to drag one out.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

GrandSlamHunter

I hunted in December 1993 less than a month before my liver transplant. Had lost down from 210 to 150 pounds. Had two tubes draining from my side and one from my chest into a plastic bag. :hair:

A friend was having a series of deer drives and hoped to push something by me. I wore insulated coveralls and the plastic bag fit perfect in the large pocket. Was so weak that I ended up just sitting down before the drivers got to me, but it felt so good just being out there in camo totin' a firearm looking for whitetails. :cool:

GSH

raghorn

GrandSlamHunter said:
I hunted in December 1993 less than a month before my liver transplant. Had lost down from 210 to 150 pounds. Had two tubes draining from my side and one from my chest into a plastic bag. :hair:

A friend was having a series of deer drives and hoped to push something by me. I wore insulated coveralls and the plastic bag fit perfect in the large pocket. Was so weak that I ended up just sitting down before the drivers got to me, but it felt so good just being out there in camo totin' a firearm looking for whitetails. :cool:

GSH
Dang!, hate to hear about those problems, but I hope you are doin' well now. Gotta admire somebody with tenacity like that. :cool:

gabowman

I probably have been sick enough before to NOT hunt but cannot remember it. What I can remember is a crooping cough that absolutely ruined a bow season for me several years ago. I would get hot carrying my stand in and climbing the tree. About the time you'd expect to go to seeing deer the cough would start up. Bummer! :cry:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I was going to say something about my ragweed allergy, but compared to some of you it is not that big a deal!

Rick Alexander

not sick really ..

But last year I got to go out west for the first time - started having heart problems again (long history) and had to have a stint put in two weeks before headin out. I felt fine but believe me it was in the back of my mind. Just figured if it was my time - can't think of a better place to go from than the woods. Wife didn't like it but knew better than to try to stop me. If it was here though- heck there's always next weekend.

CPiper

Iv hunted while SICK before and Im sure I will do it again!!

Had a very severe case of strep throat back in the 80's with pain and a 103 temp - doped myself up and headed to the woods, was NOT going to miss opening AM - killed 3
bucks that AM, got em out of the woods, and THEN went to the Dr.
Had pnemonia one time - went hunting anyways.

What about emotional health?
During the 2003 season the Mrs and I was having PROBLEMS. She was drinking and doing all sorts of wild and wierd stuff - sitting alone and quiet in the woods gave me TOO much time to reflect and think about it - I got pukin sick a couple of times and had to head home. That was no fun either!! :rolleyes: :crazy: :eek:

Walkie Takie

Not me ///////////

Hey , we got a long season here in Georgia , so I would just stay home untill I was feeling better and then off I would go , and I don't like to hunt in the wind and not going to hunt when it's really cold , ( like in the low 20's ) did all that when I was younger , too old now , can't get out from under the covers on the bad days anymore////
just wait and everything will be better / good luck to the one's who still, can do it //////
w/t :cheers: :cool: :clap: :shoot:

Arrow Flinger

I hunted 2 weeks after major back surgery in 1995. I walked 100 yards from the house and sat in a chair in the barn. I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to go.

Jeff Phillips

Several years ago I had to have hernia surgery during the Dec. break. Well I moved wrong and the stitches popped open on Friday and the doc would not close it back up, he told me to stay in bed until it closed on it's own, killed a doe Sat. morning.

Had to get Billy Don to drag it for me :D

Ga-Spur

I had back surgery and was over on River Road nailing a stand in two oaks and the game warden came by . I flagged Gene down and he helped me finish the stand. That was when you could hunt pulp wood property by just asking them and they didn't mind if you built stands as long as you didn't put them in pine trees.
Who would have ever thought all of their property would be leased out someday.