Hurricane overreactions.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
People are sooooooo stupid.
Dublin. Just heard restaurants are closed down. Checked airport weather. Wind at a blistering 12 miles per hour. Light sprinkling of rain. Visibility 3 miles. It ain't 3 miles from the drive-thru order station to the pay window. Jeez. People would rather climb up a tree backward than work.:mad: I know we don't have a monopoly on the stupid.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Propagandists got families to feed as well. How they gonna do that if folks stop listening to them?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
From a first responder perspective, I’m glad things shut down. Less people being stupid trying to get to town and driving through high water and such. Lots of folks make bad decisions on good days, seem to make worse decisions during bad weather.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
* Yesterday the weather report was for up to twelve inches of rain in dublin.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Yeah on the flip side of that why is it so important that somebody shows up at a fast food restaurant to serve hamburgers during a major storm? Just stay outta the way and it'll be over in a bit.
How can we have a hurricane party if the liquor store and the Krystal's is closed? :LOL:

GeorgiaBob

The "overreaction" might be a response to the official exaggeration.

For instance: At about 7:00 am this morning Idalia crossed the coast almost on top of an automated NOAA weather data recording station. The NOAA/National Hurricane Center (NHC) proclaimed that Idalia was a Category 3 "Major hurricane" (sustained winds of 96-112 knots) at the time. Their OWN weather station, right there where the storm came ashore, recorded MAXIMUM sustained winds for that period of 53 knots (tropical storm strength, below the minimum of 64 knots to be classified as a hurricane). The NOAA station is KTNF1, Keaton Beach, FL.

About an hour before landfall NHC had classed the storm as a Category 4 Major Hurricane (sustained winds 113 to 136 knots). In the immediate area of the eyewall was another NOAA Weather Buoy (NOAA station 42036). That buoy recorded maximum sustained winds under 50 knots and a maximum gust of 60.3 knots over the past 24 hours.

If you are in the path of a hurricane that is officially STILL a hurricane FOUR hours after it crossed over onto land, you might want to close shop too! On the other hand, if the storm is causing a lot of rain and winds up to 35 miles an hour (like reported by NOAA station VAT in Valdosta, GA with the storm right there), maybe you would remain open!

Do I need to buy a bigger tinfoil hat?

bullgator

I’m sure folks in Cedar Key, Keaton Beach, and Steinhatchee don’t think it’s an overreaction. The fact it stayed offshore further south in the high population areas was a pure blessing.

killerv

I’m sure folks in Cedar Key, Keaton Beach, and Steinhatchee don’t think it’s an overreaction. The fact it stayed offshore further south in the high population areas was a pure blessing.
My buddy's place got flooded out during the last bad storm down in keaton, just got it going back the past couple years. Havent heard any updates about it this go around, still early.