I Got a Project Car !! You Gotta Guess What it is !!

bany

First thought was you needed that like another hole in your head?
Second thought was some kind of gimmick car John Deere put out!
Third thought was glad you found that and something do!!

7 point

ATTABOOOYYYYY !!!!

Definitely a patina car right now. I had a 63 Beetle in HS and a 59 Baja Bug 72 - 73.
I got one too mine is a 1970 .I plan to put a fiberglass dune buggy body on it .

rayjay

I got one too mine is a 1970 .I plan to put a fiberglass dune buggy body on it .
I see one riding around here every now and then.

rayjay

Yesterday I made up some strap iron pieces so I could use my ancient Lakewood engine stand for the VW. It's amazing how long it takes to dig through all your 'scrap metal' , think of various ways to do the job while making maximum use of your 'scrap metal', then make a posterboard pattern, transfer that to the metal, dig out the bandsaw, cut the metal, then grind the radius until it's acceptable [ aka nearly perfect ], then reassess and change design to a more simple solution, then make the second piece which goes much faster, then drill two accurately located holes, then do some more grinding on the radius and in the too accurately located hole in the second piece, then root around in the shop and shed for 4 suitable fasteners, then bolt the engine stand head onto VW, then put the patient lift together, then figure out how to hook up the lift to the motor and then finally put the motor onto the engine stand. Then put everything up.

I missed my nap.

PICT0005.JPG
PICT0007.JPG

Attachments

• PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 10

Big7

The Oracle
I took the tag off a 69' bug and left it on I-285 ? Not Joking.

Cmp1

BANNED
Yesterday I made up some strap iron pieces so I could use my ancient Lakewood engine stand for the VW. It's amazing how long it takes to dig through all your 'scrap metal' , think of various ways to do the job while making maximum use of your 'scrap metal', then make a posterboard pattern, transfer that to the metal, dig out the bandsaw, cut the metal, then grind the radius until it's acceptable [ aka nearly perfect ], then reassess and change design to a more simple solution, then make the second piece which goes much faster, then drill two accurately located holes, then do some more grinding on the radius and in the too accurately located hole in the second piece, then root around in the shop and shed for 4 suitable fasteners, then bolt the engine stand head onto VW, then put the patient lift together, then figure out how to hook up the lift to the motor and then finally put the motor onto the engine stand. Then put everything up.

I missed my nap.

View attachment 990555
View attachment 990557
Nice fab job,,,,

rayjay

Nice fab job,,,,
Thanks !! The thing that makes this so me is that I only had to drill 2 holes. The other holes were already there. What I should have said about looking for the right piece of scrap is that it needs to be a suitable size AND have some preexisting holes I can utilize !! And one piece of strap be big enough for both pieces. This was a deck draft arm off an old Troy Bilt riding mower that I bought for the motor.

I keep my "scrap metal" in alum diamond plate truck tool boxes that I've turned into trailers.

PICT0037.JPG

Cmp1

BANNED
Thanks !! The thing that makes this so me is that I only had to drill 2 holes. The other holes were already there. What I should have said about looking for the right piece of scrap is that it needs to be a suitable size AND have some preexisting holes I can utilize !! And one piece of strap be big enough for both pieces. This was a deck draft arm off an old Troy Bilt riding mower that I bought for the motor.

I keep my "scrap metal" in alum diamond plate truck tool boxes that I've turned into trailers.

View attachment 990584
Nice,I can't weld worth a darn,,,,

rayjay

Right now it's a Fred Flintstone special. I did get a motor that looks like heck on the outside but if you look up the ports you can see new , unrun valves. It's a 1600 dual port but I also got some 90.5 cyls and pistons to make it a 1776. Eventually I would like to build something around 2000 cc.

There is a cool OLD tube / Sheetmetal woods buggy on FB right now for $250. A bit of a tow and I don't know if it would be possible to get a tag and ins for it.

Old School Tube Buggy on CL.jpg

7 point

Mine has no motor right now but I'm buying a 1600 from a guy .then after the motor is time to find a body .

rayjay

Some more dune buggy stuff in Covington. Irrc he started out at $1600 so at least he is headed in the right direction. Don't let anybody fool you. For a project it's a buyers market. There are way more project VWs out there than buyers.

I've been watching a Baja bug that started out at $3500. I'm thinking $2500. After a month or so he raises the price to $4500. Hasn't done any additional work on it. Still needs wiring, brakes need pumping up, etc. Then back down to $3750. This morning it's at $8500. Since I don't like dealing with idiots there is no point in even sending him a pm.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/pts/d/jersey-vw-parts/7017379061.html

zedex

Gator Bait
Some more dune buggy stuff in Covington. Irrc he started out at $1600 so at least he is headed in the right direction. Don't let anybody fool you. For a project it's a buyers market. There are way more project VWs out there than buyers.

I've been watching a Baja bug that started out at $3500. I'm thinking $2500. After a month or so he raises the price to $4500. Hasn't done any additional work on it. Still needs wiring, brakes need pumping up, etc. Then back down to $3750. This morning it's at $8500. Since I don't like dealing with idiots there is no point in even sending him a pm.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/pts/d/jersey-vw-parts/7017379061.html
It's at 900 right now

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I started huntin from a baja and really would enjoy finishing in a bug of any year or type. My dad would build and paint many of them but I was jus a boy.
So with that Sir @rayjay you get a attaboy!

rayjay

I haven't worked on the Bug any. I've been working on older projects so I can sell them and make more room in the shop and make some money to spend on the Bug. So far I've sold the Honda 9.9. Now I have to get a JD finished up and on to the next owner. Might be spring before it goes.

I did acquire some new floor pans.

rayjay

I have been working on Bug stuff for a couple of months. I bought an engine, trans, axles, hubs, and some alloy wheels from a nice guy up in Murrayville. I then started designing and building a test stand so I can run the motor before putting it in the car. I have been using test stands since the late 80s and they can save you a ton of work.

I built this one out of metal I had on hand. It's mostly freebie exercise equipment. The guy I got the bug from threw in a junk trans that I cut the bellhousing off of.

PICT0004.JPGPICT0013.JPGPICT0044.JPG