I hate hunting in hot weather!

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Yeah, it's been warm out there. Skeeters are really bad down here along the coast. Thermacells do work, but walking in and out of the woods, them jokers will tear you up! I sat on the ground Saturday on the edage of a thicket, and good gracious, before the thermacell kicked in, I was miserable.

Seems you have a lot of venomous snakes around your house, bud. Wear your snake boots!
I was just due I think. 4 years living here and never saw venomous snakes until this year. Since the Spring I've killed two canebreaks and two copperheads.

Last edited:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I was just due I think. 4 years living here and never saw venomous snakes until this year Since the Spring I've killed two canebreaks and two copperheads.
Yeah, I remember your posts about them. I never bother any snake, but that's a little too close to the house for my liking.

ssramage

Killed one that was close to 6' long a couple of weeks ago on my property. I don't let them live near the house either.

killerv

Killed one that was close to 6' long a couple of weeks ago on my property. I don't let them live near the house either.

A 6ft timber? That's insane

Heres one a little over 50in with 17 and a button

Xasbrne.jpg

ssramage

A 6ft timber? That's insane

Heres one a little over 50in with 17 and a button

Xasbrne.jpg

To be fair, I didn't stick the tape to it, but it stretched end to end on my tailgate without it's head and a few inches that I cut off. So maybe more like 4.5-5' now that I think about it. It didn't have as many rattles as yours though.

Waddams

Sorry about the hot weather, I don't get to set my hunting schedule the way I'd always like so I go when my job, wife, kid, and house chores otherwise give me a break long enough to go. And of course, the last 3 seasons at least, those breaks ALWAYS coincide with either a hot temp spike or a rain washout over the entire state. The hunting spirits have just cursed me like that, but you're all gonna have to keep putting up with it. I'm not quite ready to give up and go back to exclusively climbing hiking trails to mountain peaks in the fall, and hitting Helen on the drive home for German food (there are a few places that are pretty authentic amazingly enough).

Nimrod71

I am not a fan of warm weather, I wish it never got over 50, but that's life. Hunting in warm or hot weather makes things a little different. Having to deal with bugs, snakes and sweat. I will be glad when it cools down to 40. I think that is why I'm not seeing deer. The deer are lying down where it's cool.

Back40hunter

Agree about disliking the heat and all aforementioned critters that seem to enjoy it. Plus, where I hunt it seems really difficult to have much deer movement until the weather cools down. I’ve only bothered to go one afternoon so far and I don’t even feel like I’m missing much, except skeeters and snakes and such?

nmurph

I've only hunted twice this year. I went car shopping for the son this weekend and didn't miss hunting in the heat. We are going in the morning. Schools out this week bc of a Coved cluster started by a teacher, so it worked out well. It's looking better for this weekend!!!!

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Redbugs destroy me, I can handle mosquitos and the rest but I get tore up with redbugs!