I hate hunting in hot weather!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
No might need to if it works.
I try to use the unscented bug spray but they eat right thru that on me.

It doesn`t work for everybody, but it does most. One swaller, about a tablespoon, the night before you go into the woods. I used regular apple cider vinegar up till a couple of years ago, then swapped over to Bragg`s, Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother. Give it a try.

I`ve been tick and redbug free since 1978.

sleepr71

Thermocells are great if you’re sitting still, and the wind isn’t blowing the cloud away from you. If it’s windy though, or you’re walking in and out… They’re basically worthless. I use unscented bug spray And try to play the wind. Otherwise it’s a miserable experience! Popped a medium size hog yesterday evening, and saw a bunch of Does, so deer are moving in daylight, just not as much as we usually expect this time of the year. I feel sorry for the guys that scheduled their vacations around the end of October/beginning of November☹️

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
It doesn`t work for everybody, but it does most. One swaller, about a tablespoon, the night before you go into the woods. I used regular apple cider vinegar up till a couple of years ago, then swapped over to Bragg`s, Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother. Give it a try.

As bad as my legs look every year i will. Thx Nic

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I shot a deer a couple weeks ago when it was about 85*. I was sitting in the stand dripping. I got down and gutted it and drug it a pretty good ways out to the water. I was about whupped. While I was sitting there waiting for dark and my buddy to come by and pick me up in the boat, I had to cut a big leafy limb and constantly wave it over my deer to keep the swarm of flies from landing on it.

sleepr71

It’s 80. I’m soaking wet after walking 300 yds in. Hopefully showering in scent free soap & hanging my clothes outside prior..will keep me from smelling like a dead dog on July blacktop:biggrin2:

oldfella1962

Okay I had to google "redbugs" and it means chiggers. Yes, they are the devil. :mad:
Now I wear snake boots and don't walk through or brush against any vegetation that might hold a bunch of them. Got nailed from ankles to naughty parts scouting in August, and learned my lesson well. :cry:

oldfella1962

Thermocells are great if you’re sitting still, and the wind isn’t blowing the cloud away from you. If it’s windy though, or you’re walking in and out… They’re basically worthless. I use unscented bug spray And try to play the wind. Otherwise it’s a miserable experience! Popped a medium size hog yesterday evening, and saw a bunch of Does, so deer are moving in daylight, just not as much as we usually expect this time of the year. I feel sorry for the guys that scheduled their vacations around the end of October/beginning of November☹️

oh thank goodness I'm not going crazy - I thought I was the only person not seeing any does. It's like they dropped off the face of the earth! The only ones I see are next to (or on) the roads at night. So far twice as many bucks as does have been taken where I hunt. I've only seen two deer show up when I'm hunting, both bucks. Okay maybe just one buck showing up twice, but regardless no does. I'm not even jumping any when I'm coming & going.

oldfella1962

30 years ago, temps didn't matter. Today...ain't hunting when I'm dripping in sweat. Don't wanna fool with a dead deer in 80* temps. Age changed me. Admire you guys that still get it done in hot weather.

I'll scout all day long in the heat, but I won't hunt in it because scent control is impossible. Yes, hunt the wind but lately there hasn't been much wind. It's a tough year so far for me!

Triple C

I'll scout all day long in the heat, but I won't hunt in it because scent control is impossible. Yes, hunt the wind but lately there hasn't been much wind. It's a tough year so far for me!
Have you noticed how often we've had an east wind so far this season? Most difficult wind to hunt on my place. Usually a lot of S, SE or SW winds until mid Nov. Seems every time I'm down I'm dealing with wind out of the east. And to your point...by late afternoon...no wind to speak of.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Won’t be long now......bout to be nice again and just in time!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I work outside so the heat doesn’t bother me much. I hunted from Friday evening through midday Monday. My son hunted with me Saturday. We saw 15 or so deer between us. He put 2 does in the cooler Saturday. I’ve been more excited about deer hunting this year than I have in awhile. Not going to let a little heat stop me.

oldfella1962

Have you noticed how often we've had an east wind so far this season? Most difficult wind to hunt on my place. Usually a lot of S, SE or SW winds until mid Nov. Seems every time I'm down I'm dealing with wind out of the east. And to your point...by late afternoon...no wind to speak of.

Luckily where I hunt the prevailing winds are from the east or north most of the season and my spots are geared around this. The only wind that will not work for me (except for one stream crossing) is a southern wind. Of course the stream crossing is usually occupied. :mad: Public land is more about out-thinking the other hunters than it is out-thinking the deer.

oppthepop

Same here Nic - don't leave home without a tablespoon of Braggs in the gut!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Supposed to be highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s here by the first of the week.