I REALLY need some help- Video Added!

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
God Bless these heros and this hunt! May the successes be great and the problems few, and may they feel our gratitude for their service to us all!

Amen!! :flag:

gtfisherman

Update!!!

Met up with Jerry and the Warriors today.

Guys let me tell you. This is a special group. I'm missing a name from the Warriors (simply because my addled mind can't hold things long) But Sgt Bill, Capt Mike and Sgt ??? were having a blast! They killed geese this morning and the latest update from a few minutes ago was that 1 hog had been missed and one shot tonight. They're still at it.

I told a friend after leaving Jerry's camp today that the only thing I could say was that I was humbled. Humbled to be allowed to hang out with these guys. Humbled to be able to serve them in any small way. Humbled that they would want to share their stories and experiences with me. Humbled that Jerry would accept my assistance to be a part of this great event and to help represent this fine group.

Jerry has some more and better pics than me. I forgot my camera and just had my Iphone.

Attachments

• 398627_1828174679549_1695799014_963053_1608527807_n.jpg
    398627_1828174679549_1695799014_963053_1608527807_n.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 420478_1828176959606_1695799014_963054_587002480_n.jpg
    420478_1828176959606_1695799014_963054_587002480_n.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 426275_1828180279689_1695799014_963057_1212954521_n.jpg
    426275_1828180279689_1695799014_963057_1212954521_n.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 313
  • 426453_1828178279639_1695799014_963055_1512931776_n.jpg
    426453_1828178279639_1695799014_963055_1512931776_n.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 314

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
Man cant wait ta hear the whole story!! :clap:

jerry russell

We made it home from what was without a doubt one of the most fun hunting weekends of my life. I have slept 6 hours since Friday and I am just to tired to type. I promise I will post a full write up tomorrow along with a neat video. Boys, we had one awesome time. Got to get some sleep after all the trackin, skining, eatin BBQ and smiling.

Attachments

• 101_0093.jpg
    101_0093.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

LONGTOM

Jerry, when you recover I need to talk to you about the turkey,hog hunt. I have you a really good call maker/ turkey caller lined up if you need him. Need some details so we can lock him in. Did you get the check?

jerry russell

Well, we are home and I have to say this was one of the most rewarding hunting experiences of my life. The Warriors, Michael, Greg and Bill were just about the most awesome people you could ever hope to meet. They had never been on a real goose hunt and 2 of the 3 had never chased hogs. We started out with a hog hunt on Friday night and all indications from checking our trail cams had me believing we would take 3 hogs the first night. All hunters had hogs on them that night including three monster boars at point blank range for my hunter but the shots just did not come as they were very spooky. Luke's hunter, Michael passed on some small pigs but got to watch a neat show as 10 hogs fed around them at 10 yards and had even rubbed their bodies against their ladder stand.
The next morning had us heading north to Henry County for a goose hunt. A good buddy had already set out a huge decoy spread when we arrived along with 8 layout blinds. That is a TON of work. Daylight had a lot of birds around us but it was a day where we had competition from 100 plus birds on an adjoining farm pond. As the morning rocked on we were treated with a beautiful sunrise and several flights of sand hill cranes. These guys were happy just being there and watching my lab Rocko go from blind to blind trying to con everyone out of a honey bun. I knew we had a lunch that would soon arrive back at hog camp provided by James (gtfisherman) and time was running short. I just started praying for one good solid flock of honkers to give us that classic approach. Suddenly, there they were and when they locked on the decoys I knew I was about to make some new waterfowl hunters. The call went out "take-em" and the heavy geese crumpled. What an awesome moment that was.
Back at camp we feasted on BBQ, slaw, beans and brownies and then just hung out with James and Scotty Hardison for a couple of hours. Scotty, you may remember made the custom aluminum turkey and goose calls for the guys. The bows soon came out and we had some fun watching these guys shoot their first traditional arrows. They were coached buy my son Luke and were soon pounding that target. We handed out some of the great gifts that had been supplied by many of you and the guys were just overwhelmed.
They could not stop talking about that goose hunt but I was focused on the hogs. I told them we were going in to the stands and we were not coming out without three pigs! Jim was guiding Bill and they dropped a $5 bet with me and Greg on the first hog back to camp. We took the bet and hit the woods. About an hour before dark Jim and Bill had had a string of 6 hogs cross a creek and offer a shot. Bill was shooting a gun sighted in for 150 yards and the point blank shot he was offered went high. Later that evening, they were circled by a coyote and had two big bucks walk by at 25 yards.
My hunter, Greg, climbed into his stand and we crossed our fingers as I knew a giant boar of 250 plus pounds was coming by this stand most nights at 8-9PM and a groups of smaller pigs were coming at about 6-ish. Right on cue the big boar came rolling down the creek but a swirling wind gave us away. The big guy stopped at 40-50 yards and decided he should back track. About this time I got a text from Luke that his hunter, Michael, had shot a good hog. The pressure was on but I told Greg that I would stay in that tree all night if we needed to get his hog. We would have to wait until right at 10 PM. I could hear the familiar sound of hogs rolling towards us in the pitch black night and lit the scene with a red light. The hogs appeared and Greg made an awesome shot. We raced back to camp to claim our big $5 grand prize!
Luke reported that they had seen nothing early but as it got dark they had a mob of hogs roll in including 10 young pigs, a big sow with two big boars in tow. Michael was using a 45 and made a shot that caused all the pigs to explode in every direction. Luke blood trailed the hog through the thick privet but lost the track when the hog hit a woods road. We decided to let it lay till the morning. At daylight we took up the trail and I will have to say that I am proud of the tracking job that we put on that hog. We lost blood dozens of times and the hog would go 20-70 yards without a drop of blood on the ground. Just when I thought it was over, Luke found a single small drop of blood 60 yards up a ridge and the hog lay just 40 yards further up the trail. All told that hog had traveled about 400 yards.
There were lots of smiles as we returned to camp with that warriors first hog ever.
Michael, Bill and Greg asked that I please convey how thankful they were for all of you who helped to make this hunt possible for them. They must have said thank you to us about a hundred times. I tried as hard as I could to make them understand where the thanks really belonged.
An interesting footnote to this hunt came on the ride home. This is the first time I had ever turned Luke loose fully as a guide for one of our hunters. He made me proud and handled himself in a mature and hardworking fashion. That boy was slap dead tired. I was proud of him and knew he was saving his money for a new gun. When I offered him some money for working so hard for these great men, he just stared for a moment and said “no way dad. This was the hunt of a lifetime for me”. I just had to smile and thought to myself that nothing could be more true.
Thank you to all that helped to make this event possible. I wish you all could have been there with us.

Here is the video. Please excuse the poor quality, I only had a little while to edit the thing. I hope I listed it the right way here. I have never used Photobucket. Let it fully buffer before watching. I hope you enjoy it.

http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums...iew&current=WoundedWarriorHogandGoosehunt.mp4

Last edited:

Al33

What a great thing you have done Jerry leading this charge!!! No doubt you are extremely proud of Luke and rightfully so. Loved reading all about the hunts and the video. Well done sir, well done!!!:clap::clap::clap:

longbowdave1

Jerry that was an Awsome hunt, story telling, and topped off by a great video too! I'm sure I'll watch that video a few times!

Your teaching Luke right! :cool:

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
That sure looks like ah great time was had by all.
Thanks ta all that helped out. The video was great!!
:flag:

thanks everyone

I was one of the lucky soldiers blessed with the hunt this weekend. I can not say thank you enough. We get alot of credit as wounded warriors. to be honest it doesent take a whole lot of skill to get wounded.. lol but to be honest it takes more american spirit to do what yall have done.. Jerry and his bunch were outstanding..they made sure we was entertained for sure.. We showed up friday not knowing what to expect. What we found was friends, friends who went completly out of their way to show us a good time.. in talking to our new friends they explained about all the good hearted people who picthed in out of the goodness of their hearts to help with this venture..
Words can not express my gratitude . I retired from the military yesterday. I cant think of a better way to end my military career. again thank you traditional bow hunters. i hope to see you at the range thanks to jerry, jim and luke. exactly what i needed . another obsession.

oh yes and thank you scotty( your somekind of talented) and larry young for a awesome hunt , and also james and his family, you told me you always wanted to serve. well everyone serves in one way or another.. weahter it be by voting, saying a little prayer for the troops , or just looking at the american flag and getting goose bumps for seeing what it stands for.. i just ask the next time you see a service member and their family , thank the spouse. they have suffered more than we can ever imagine..