INTERESTING DOINGS...

oldguy

Was out burning brush this morning and down near the creek a couple of barred owls were going back and forth when a hawk joined the conversation for a bit.

About 30 minutes later in a small pine about 20 feet from me 3 blue jays were making a big fuss so I walked a little closer and thought I was looking at a big hornet's nest but it was actually one of the owls. Three jays danced all around that owl and it never flinched. Finally one of them had enough I supposed and dive bombed the owl on top of the head, owl barely flinched.

Was some good entertainment for a bit.
Hawks and owls put up with WAY more than they ought to!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think I've ever seen a true raven. Guess I haven't been in the right place at the right time.
Dang crows.
We have a lot here in the Smokies and Balsams and Blacks, but they don't come down around the settlements much. They're really wild, and usually stay up at the higher elevations away from people. I've always said that any time I see a raven, I'm usually about exactly where I want to be. Ravens have a totally different personality than crows.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! Just looked out at the feeder and there's a red-headed woodpecker! Haven't seen one at the feeder in several years.
I've only seen one of those around here in my life. It hung around my yard for about three days, then a hawk ate it. :(

Big7

The Oracle
Wow! Just looked out at the feeder and there's a red-headed woodpecker! Haven't seen one at the feeder in several years.
We have have a few from time to time.
Don't think I've seen one since last year.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My rough-winged swallows came back yesterday. It's officially spring now.

oldguy

Cool this morning (50s) so took my wife on a little ramble on Chickasawhatchee WMA. Wanted to show her one of my spots. Found lots of wildflowers blooming - Indian pink, wild petunia, crotalaria, ladies tresses, blue flag iris, etc. She showed a new found interest and took pictures of the flowers with her phone! Wants to go back and see more of the place. Didn't see any hogs or hog sign. Did see a quail run across the road. Guess the Bob White Quail Initiative is working. Got lots of good burns in some of the newly opened pine areas. Too cool for gators at the Flat Hole.

Ocmulgee44

One of the things that I love about turkey season is all the flowers that begin to paint the landscape. I know next to nothing about them so please forgive my ignorance but what is this plant I noticed this morning as I was listening? Second pic is same plant but looking down on a flower.
IMG_20200414_070708[2396]b.jpgIMG_20200414_070720[2397]b.jpg

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Cool this morning (50s) so took my wife on a little ramble on Chickasawhatchee WMA. Wanted to show her one of my spots. Found lots of wildflowers blooming - Indian pink, wild petunia, crotalaria, ladies tresses, blue flag iris, etc. She showed a new found interest and took pictures of the flowers with her phone! Wants to go back and see more of the place. Didn't see any hogs or hog sign. Did see a quail run across the road. Guess the Bob White Quail Initiative is working. Got lots of good burns in some of the newly opened pine areas. Too cool for gators at the Flat Hole.

You hear any turkeys gobble?

I have several favorite spots there. The Flat Hole is by far my favorite.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One of the things that I love about turkey season is all the flowers that begin to paint the landscape. I know next to nothing about them so please forgive my ignorance but what is this plant I noticed this morning as I was listening? Second pic is same plant but looking down on a flower.
View attachment 1012298View attachment 1012299
It's a Packera (ragwort.) Looks like probably P. anonyma (Small's ragwort.)

oldguy

You hear any turkeys gobble?

I have several favorite spots there. The Flat Hole is by far my favorite.
I hooted a time or two but got no response nor heard any gobble on their own. Saw no turkeys and no turkey sign though where we walked was a good place. Drove in at Mud Creek Road and clear through to the Dunn Lot Gate and around to 37 looks like we'd of least seen a turkey. No hogs and no deer either - just the lone quail.

oldguy

That rhwp is an almost constant presense at the feeder now. Even keeps the ultimate intimidator the red bellied woodpecker, intimidated!
There was a cat bird singing this morning and the barred owl was checking in with singular inquisitive "WHA?"
What I haven't heard so far this year is a vireo, red or white eyed.

westcobbdog

3 Turkeys strutting around my backyard on a small ridge this am, let my golden out and he noticed them and chased them off with all the animals making a big racket.

oldguy

New visitor at the feeder yesterday. Returnee actually (kinda' sorta'). An immature rose breasted grosbeak! We usually have a few each year, males, females and immatures but it's usually around the first wekk of May.
Solomon seal is blooming in the edge of the woods. Been waiting to post it along with the swamp dogwood but the dogwood is dragging its heels. Got buds but haven't opened - yet...

trents99

Hawks and owls put up with WAY more than they ought to!

Truth in reality. Yesterday a few trees over from where that owl was perched there was more commotion. Sitting there, just getting pelted was a hawk. He didn't stick around as long as the owl did but in that short time he took some licks.

The day before that I got to watch a couple of pileated woodpeckers in the woods behind the house. Watched them forging on the ground for a bit behind an old downed pine log. Funny to see them pop up and look around like a couple of puppets.

oldguy

Wife and I road over to Sylvester to visit a pitcher plant bog. Cool site. Has four different pitcher plants - yellow trumpets, hooded, parrott, and a cross between the hooded and the parrott. Also saw purple butter wort blooming. Late summer early fall is when the wild flowers are most prolific. Turned into a ride about that encompassed four counties - Worth, Mitchell, Colquitt, and Baker. Saw a lone woodstork in a roadside cow pond outside of Camilla. First of the year. 7:30 AM now and there are three deer at the corn trough out back.