Is Del McCoury the GOAT?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I really like "Demons" and "Me and John and Paul" by the Grascals. Though they're on the progessive "New Grass" type side of things, I also like a lot stuff by Breaking Grass. They have some really interesting lyrics in a lot of their songs. I believe their lead vocalist is Jay Farrar's (of Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo) son. Jay's nephew is also the lead vocalist of Old Salt Union. Speaking of Son Volt, most of their stuff sounds a lot alike, but I've always enjoyed it for whatever reason.
I hadn’t listened to Son Volt in a long time until a few weeks ago several songs from Trace came up on shuffle while we were in the car. I had forgotten how good it was. Uncle Tupelo too. I have never been a Wilco fan at all but like Farrar’s stuff.

ryork

I hadn’t listened to Son Volt in a long time until a few weeks ago several songs from Trace came up on shuffle while we were in the car. I had forgotten how good it was. Uncle Tupelo too. I have never been a Wilco fan at all but like Farrar’s stuff.

Not a big Wilco fan either.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
That is a goodun! The Grascals have got some pretty good stuff. Sad Wind Sighs written by Vince Gill is a good song too. I hate that Terry Eldredge is not with them anymore though.
Yep loved his voice, I got to talk to him at Dollywood. At one of their shows they said they liked to see if anyone could stump them in Andy Griffith triva. I along with 2 others got to ask something. I asked them where Otis got his likker the night he rode the cow. They didn't know AND after I got home and looked up the answer found out that I didn't either. For some reason I thought he had been at Charlie Varney's. At any rate they gave me a free CD, I bought a couple at the table after the show. Then Terry walked up as I was walking away, we started talking and at the end of our conversation he said hey let me give you another CD. Might have been cause I had my vet hat on

Doug B.

Yep loved his voice, I got to talk to him at Dollywood. At one of their shows they said they liked to see if anyone could stump them in Andy Griffith triva. I along with 2 others got to ask something. I asked them where Otis got his likker the night he rode the cow. They didn't know AND after I got home and looked up the answer found out that I didn't either. For some reason I thought he had been at Charlie Varney's. At any rate they gave me a free CD, I bought a couple at the table after the show. Then Terry walked up as I was walking away, we started talking and at the end of our conversation he said hey let me give you another CD. Might have been cause I had my vet hat on
That really cool! And thanks for your service!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had never heard of Son Volt until my wife and I went to a Steve earle Concert right after he got out of prison and released the El Corozon album. Son Volt opened for him. Son volt is kind of OK. Wilco is kind of OK. They should have kept Uncle Tupelo together. :)

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I had never heard of Son Volt until my wife and I went to a Steve earle Concert right after he got out of prison and released the El Corozon album. Son Volt opened for him. Son volt is kind of OK. Wilco is kind of OK. They should have kept Uncle Tupelo together. :)
I really like their first album, Trace. The rest of it I agree is sort of just ok although they put out a country album about ten years ago called Honky Tonk that’s pretty good. Uncle Tupelo is good but they have the same thing Lucero has in that so much of their music is just too dang sad. A certain amount of that is alright but after a while it’s like, “Jeez why am I listening ing to this?” Still good though. I’ve just about moved on completely from alt.country. I got really, really deep into it for a good many years. I occasionally listen to it but mostly I’ve left it in my rear view mirror.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I really like their first album, Trace. The rest of it I agree is sort of just ok although they put out a country album about ten years ago called Honky Tonk that’s pretty good. Uncle Tupelo is good but they have the same thing Lucero has in that so much of their music is just too dang sad. A certain amount of that is alright but after a while it’s like, “Jeez why am I listening ing to this?” Still good though. I’ve just about moved on completely from alt.country. I got really, really deep into it for a good many years. I occasionally listen to it but mostly I’ve left it in my rear view mirror.
Pretty much.