Is High End Hunting Clothing Really Worth It?

sportsman94

No expert here.
I’ve found you can get the same quality, Say merino, in other outdoor brands for half the price if you’re good at searching. Hunters aren’t the first to realize the value of wool. I don’t like the idea of paying twice as much just bc it’s affiliated with a hunting name brand. I’m also not a fan of most camo. I like the big blotchy patterns, even though it doesn’t matter what I like.

Also, last season I sort of took to the idea that I don’t like to be too comfortable in the woods. It might be strange, but I feel like my senses are more alive when I go to the woods a little hungry and am a little cold. I like just enough clothing to keep from shivering if it’s cold but it doesn’t really get that cold round here any how. I do like my DIY ghillie during bow season; getting them into stick bow range is tough. Last season I had a bear brush up against my ghillie nearly leaving me with a pile in my pants.

This season I’m waiting for first lite to come out with the limited edition @Buckman18 line of hunting shorts then maybe I’ll spring for some high end gear.

Funny you say that about being uncomfortable. I always feel like I’m more focused and better in the final moments when I “hunt hungry.” Always felt like for me it triggered a primal instinct of having to get it done to survive. I’m just weird though

Big7

The Oracle
Warm or otherwise necessary/suitable clothing I would say yes. If you hunt like I do, sun up to sun down, you are going to want to be dry and comfortable. That don't mean a big name with lot's of advertising. Just warm and dry. Even if that means something not normally associated with hunting as an under layer and some reasonably priced camo on top. Something like a down ski jacket for instance. Things of that nature.

Camo is just OK. It is my belief that the brand/patter/how many hunting infomercials it's been on, etc.. don't matter much as long as it's not got the de dreaded "faded white glow"..

Scent, or lack thereof, is a lot more important in my opinion.

NCMTNHunter

If you are walking a couple hundred yards, sitting in a stand and going home at the end of the day then no. You can do that with any kind of clothing. If you are living out of a backpack for two weeks on one one set of clothes that you are sleeping in at night, wearing everyday, and wearing dry when you get rained on then they are worth every penny. From the underwear out.

jbogg

No expert here.
I’ve found you can get the same quality, Say merino, in other outdoor brands for half the price if you’re good at searching. Hunters aren’t the first to realize the value of wool. I don’t like the idea of paying twice as much just bc it’s affiliated with a hunting name brand. I’m also not a fan of most camo. I like the big blotchy patterns, even though it doesn’t matter what I like.

Also, last season I sort of took to the idea that I don’t like to be too comfortable in the woods. It might be strange, but I feel like my senses are more alive when I go to the woods a little hungry and am a little cold. I like just enough clothing to keep from shivering if it’s cold but it doesn’t really get that cold round here any how. I do like my DIY ghillie during bow season; getting them into stick bow range is tough. Last season I had a bear brush up against my ghillie nearly leaving me with a pile in my pants.

This season I’m waiting for first lite to come out with the limited edition @Buckman18 line of hunting shorts then maybe I’ll spring for some high end gear.

I am just the opposite. If I am comfortable I can sit more still and focus on hunting. If I am cold and shivering I end up moving much more and focusing on how miserable I am other than paying attention to my surroundings.

ddd-shooter

If you are hunting the south east U.S. where the climate is mostly mild and you don't hunt the rain you can hunt in shorts comfortably. If you hunt in the north where winter temperatures often are below zero with stiff winds and snow, you are not going to spend much time hunting in blue jeans and tee shirts. I have hunted many times in harsh weather near zero and I was thankful for the quality clothes which sometimes were synthetics, wool or a mix and goretex. In the picture of grandpas it looks like most of them appreciated the advantage of quality clothes and are wearing the best they had at the time which was wool.

Agree, but not many wear shorts in the mountains during the rut in December.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
There’s some great grandpas that are looking down shakin their heads and laughing.

Idk man looks like some non-grizzled ritch guys wearing the finest stuff made back then. Is this depression-era?
IMG_20220609_213841.jpg
I don't see the big deal though it never gets cold in sowega during hunting season anymore

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

splatek

UAEC
I am just the opposite. If I am comfortable I can sit more still and focus on hunting. If I am cold and shivering I end up moving much more and focusing on how miserable I am other than paying attention to my surroundings.

If I’m comfortable at sun up, I’m falling asleep. lol

TurkeyH90

I think some of the high end stuff is worth it and some ain't. Take for example Danner boots. Expensive but comfortable and I've had them last well over a decade. Drake waterfowl: cheap China made stuff that only looks good. Zippers and materials on their stuff is cheap and prone to break.

ILbowhntr

I’ve taken a lot of grief for the Sitka I hunt in. Was in Wyoming 3 years ago, chasing bear in the spring. Was at 11K when it started raining/snowing. Quad was at 8k, a 50 minute walk. Then a hour and 20 minute ride to the camper. Was glad I have the Sitka and not cotton that day.
For me, it’s like 4WD, not need it every day but when you do it’s worth every penny.

Timberjack86

If you are walking a couple hundred yards, sitting in a stand and going home at the end of the day then no. You can do that with any kind of clothing. If you are living out of a backpack for two weeks on one one set of clothes that you are sleeping in at night, wearing everyday, and wearing dry when you get rained on then they are worth every penny. From the underwear out.
There's no way I'm sleeping in my clothes I wear during the day if I can help it. Especially during winter.

Swampdogg

Hunt in what you want and can afford at the moment . Solids or camo , wool , cotton , synthetic, and don’t get tied up in brands or sticking to one. Most of this stuff depends on the situation and how tough and rough you want to be on your gear and the way you hunt. Some things are worth it when they need to perform . You can buy and carry a cheap change of socks for every day or buy a pair to switch out that last years . Good boots that last a few months or coin up and get some that last forever. If hunting a few days here and there 300 yards from a truck or pounding weeks off grid in wilderness make a difference . All situations need to be considered. Same as priorities and how you want to achieve it. High end clothing is not 100% needed to do this stuff , but some gear sure is nice knowing it’s going to work and not fail in the middle of your hunt. Sales and open box/lightly used is a way to get some and not break the bank.Also skipping out on little things that add up is a good way to save up for it if your wanting to get said high end gear.

splatek

UAEC
Man I love a good nap in the tree, unfortunately, I just can't seem to get out of search mode to take one. I get five minutes every now and again, but I just can't turn off my brain. My wife can sit still for three seconds and be out. I tell her that's why I see more than she does, lol

Mine laughs at me because I can’t nap any where at any time unless I’m in the tree OR watching the meat eater
That show puts my lights out before the intro is even done