Is High End Hunting Clothing Really Worth It?

KentuckyHeadhunter

I`ve hunted Colorado when it was 0 degrees, 30 mile an hour wind blowing. Sleeping in a tent. I never got as cold out there as I have in a South Georgia swamp when it was in the low 20`s. That`s where I learned the difference between "wet" cold and "dry" cold. Both hurt, but wet cold is meaner. At least to me.

Yup. Same as arid vs humid. In the Marines I was in 107 one time in Death Valley training. 85 in GA feels WAY hotter!

jrickman

I've been on the flight line in Yuma AZ when the temp was 122 and it was NOTHING compared to mid-nineties in even North GA, much less south. Those of us that were visting there from Down East North Cackalacky were quite comfortable. New River Air Station in August is, in fact, the most miserable place on earth. I've also been in below zero temps that were more tolerable than 20s in North GA.

chrislibby88

I`ve hunted Colorado when it was 0 degrees, 30 mile an hour wind blowing. Sleeping in a tent. I never got as cold out there as I have in a South Georgia swamp when it was in the low 20`s. That`s where I learned the difference between "wet" cold and "dry" cold. Both hurt, but wet cold is meaner. At least to me.
100%

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I say no. Dress in layers, use a lot of wool, carry a little extra layer, wet weather suit, in the pack along with extra socks, my Achilles heel is cold feet.

I can deal with the cold a lot better than the heat, waterfowl hunting when it's below zero and a NW wind pushing a steady 40 that makes your eyeballs feel like they're going to freeze still beats the heat anyday.FB_IMG_1655256386164.jpg

rnfarley

I would propose that the 'grandpa's wool still works for me' side of this discussion should consider that product 'high end' as well. The reason it's lasted so long is because it's high end. Unfortunately today, if you want something that both works well, and has high quality to last, you're looking at $400 Danners or Sitkuiu or the like. If it's 75 and sunny, nothing matters. If there are elements to contend with, I'd argue it's important to have quality (whatever that is in context).

Jim Boyd

I always crack up when someone rails against high end clothing, saying it is for millennials and city boys… and then hops in a Ford Raptor.

Both meet the needs of the consumer and both do it in style.

menhadenman

SKRE has a Father’s Day sale right now. They’re stuff is pretty nice and a lot more affordable than Sitka and others.

I used to knock high end stuff too. Until I owned some and hunted in places where it really helps.

strothershwacker

I bought some first lite merino wool for my rocky mountain elk hunt last year. Love the shirts. Can wear them for days without them stinking. The first lite obsidian pants are junk though. 9 miles into the backcountry the first day and there was a hole wore through the crotch. So I wore my 5.11 tactical pants the rest of the trip. I hear their best pants are the corrugated guide pants but I ain't buying no more.

rnfarley

FWIW....Don't purchase the new version Prana stetch zion. Apparently they changed the fabric to a shiny cheap version and put a weak plastic button on them. Glad I got mine when I did. Companies are cheapin out these days. Lets go Brandon.

You’re 100% right they did. Very sad day. I have 5-6 pairs and wear them daily at work and for hunting. New ones are not as good. Just got some kuhl renegade pants to compare and so far I like them. Not as stretchy, but a little more durable feeling. Still very lightweight.

GAoutdoor

It pays to keep an eye on end of season deals at midwayusa.com.

This past winter I paid $50 for a down jacket identical to the KIUI or some such brand my buddy paid $hundreds for.

I’d rather pay for taxidermy bills than ‘in style’ clothing! ? to each their own.

I picked up a Midway Hunter's Creek Parka and Bibbs on clearance last year. I wouldn't say it's identical to the higher end stuff, but I needed something to keep me warm while I sat in the stand in the really cold mornings I'm out. They were appropriately priced for the purpose, and spending more wouldn't get me more utility for my use case.

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
Hunting in Georgia? No. Alaska hike in multiday mountain hunt? Yes. Everything in between? It depends. Hiking gear is the better bang for the buck And you’re not paying for the camo brand cult. Buy discount synthetic or treated down hiking gear and spend the difference on good boots and rain gear. 4E30427E-D63E-4BB5-9A43-B9B551B8E0B2.jpeg