Is High End Hunting Clothing Really Worth It?

TJay

In my opinion the value of the high end stuff becomes relevant in extreme locations and conditions. Staying warm and dry in GA during the rut isn't nearly as tough for me as staying cool in bow season. Wool is great stuff but about all I can afford is the underwear. If you think Sitka is spendy check out Sleeping Indian wool.

kayaksteve

In my opinion the value of the high end stuff becomes relevant in extreme locations and conditions. Staying warm and dry in GA during the rut isn't nearly as tough for me as staying cool in bow season. Wool is great stuff but about all I can afford is the underwear. If you think Sitka is spendy check out Sleeping Indian wool.
I agree. It’s much harder for me to be comfortable in sept-oct in Georgia than the rest of the year. Most of my “nicer” clothing is focused towards the warm weather rather than the colder weather.

fatback

As a few have already mentioned I believe it all depends on the circumstances of the hunt. If your hunting anywhere in Georgia, there is about 90% chance that the cost of the higher end stuff is probably not needed to be comfortable. Good boots, socks, a hooded sweet shirt and a warm hat and your in business.
However, if your spending 2 weeks in the Northwest Territories hunting Dall sheep, living in a one man tent and where every thing you need to survive has to fit in your pack and oz not lbs make a huge difference in what you can carry, the higher end stuff is absolutely worth every penny and might even save your life if you get in a tight spot with the weather. I’ve spent a few nights on the side of a mountain where I was truly thankful that I had paid for my higher end clothing, rain gear, etc…. To each his own though. The important thing is to be as comfortable as possible which increases your time and enjoyment afield, which is always a good thing.

Jim Boyd

Yes, good clothing is worth it.

I am far from a clothes snob, I routinely hunt in whatever shorts and T shirt I happen to have on. Oh yeah… flip flops also

But, cold is a different animal.

I have seen it many times, the hunter will not stay in the stand because he is cold.

Low teen temps or even down into single digits and add wind or rain / snow and many are just not prepared to handle the elements.

When I say I see them bail, this is mostly in the Midwest after paying high dollar to be there in the first place.

Of course, I have seen it in the south, as well.

I have good clothing, boots, rain gear, hats etc.

The weather is not gonna chase me out of the stand.

Hunt how you like.

Last edited:

MudDucker

Staff member
It is way overpriced, but do to my age and it being harder on me to stand cold on my hands, I have purchased Sitka gloves while they were on sale and I'd be lying if I didn't say they were superior to what I have had.

splatek

UAEC
Yes, good clothing is worth it.

I am far from a clothes snob, I routinely hunt in whatever shorts and T shirt I happen to have on. Oh yeah… flip flops also

But, cold is a different animal.

I have seen it many times, the hunter will not stay in the stand because he is cold.

Low teen temps or even down into single digits and add wind or rain / snow and many are just not prepared to handle the elements.

When I say I see them bail, this is mostly in the Midwest after paying high dollar to be there in the first place.

Of course, I have seen it in the south, as well.

I have good clothing, boots, rain gear, hats etc.

The weather is not gonna chase me out of the stand.

Hunt how you like.

I will say good rain gear is a must if you choose to hunt in the rain, which for many of us who have limited hunt days is a must-do. A few seasons ago, I spent opening day in a stand in an all day rain storm; I had purchased some rain jacket-pant combo thing from cabelas/BassPro and it clearly was only designed to keep you dry running from your front door to the car; your car to the office, etc. It was not intended for an all day drenching. I sat it out, saw a bunch of turkeys and a few turtles and no bear, deer, or hogs. That sopping sloppy mile hike out was the worst. Thankfully it was early season and like 85 degrees. Had it been colder, I think that would have sucked.

Jim Boyd

I will say good rain gear is a must if you choose to hunt in the rain, which for many of us who have limited hunt days is a must-do. A few seasons ago, I spent opening day in a stand in an all day rain storm; I had purchased some rain jacket-pant combo thing from cabelas/BassPro and it clearly was only designed to keep you dry running from your front door to the car; your car to the office, etc. It was not intended for an all day drenching. I sat it out, saw a bunch of turkeys and a few turtles and no bear, deer, or hogs. That sopping sloppy mile hike out was the worst. Thankfully it was early season and like 85 degrees. Had it been colder, I think that would have sucked.

not sure which suit you had but I have a packable rain suit from Cabela’s (when Cabela’s was still Cabela’s) that is excellent.

It was not cheap but it is quiet, easy to put on and super light / ez to pack.

I also have a suit from Midway. It is not that packable but it is also excellent. I think it was about $50-60 for each piece so it was not expensive. Well built, comfy and quiet.

I could care less about camo patterns, etc.

I care about being (mostly) dry in the stand.

If hunters are miserable, they generally leave.

I laugh heartily each time I see folks (many that simply pile on to a discussion) that say all we need is what they wore “in the old days”.

If that is what you like, God bless ya.

I prefer warm and dry when it is cold and wet.

Otherwise, I just wear whatever I have on that day.

6776D89B-B8CE-4213-AA96-36D78146A33E.jpeg

KentuckyHeadhunter

Talkin about cheap raingear mine is a set (pants and jacket) from Tidewe and the only hunting worthy pattern they have is a duck camo but it works just fine. Like 40 bucks and very packable and comes in a stuff sack.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
not sure which suit you had but I have a packable rain suit from Cabela’s (when Cabela’s was still Cabela’s) that is excellent.

It was not cheap but it is quiet, easy to put on and super light / ez to pack.

I also have a suit from Midway. It is not that packable but it is also excellent. I think it was about $50-60 for each piece so it was not expensive. Well built, comfy and quiet.

I could care less about camo patterns, etc.

I care about being (mostly) dry in the stand.

If hunters are miserable, they generally leave.

I laugh heartily each time I see folks (many that simply pile on to a discussion) that say all we need is what they wore “in the old days”.

If that is what you like, God bless ya.

I prefer warm and dry when it is cold and wet.

Otherwise, I just wear whatever I have on that day.

View attachment 1157498

I think I have that same rain suit. I got it close to 40 years ago, and it is still good as the day I got it in the mail. That was a long time ago.

Jim Boyd

I think I have that same rain suit. I got it close to 40 years ago, and it is still good as the day I got it in the mail. That was a long time ago.

Mine is only about 15 years old and it came in two small sacks. One for top and one for pants.

Think about this, if yours are 40 years old, they represent deep VALUE.

That is precisely the point of my involvement in this text.

I am not sitting in a tree, soaking wet. I did that in my youth. I have been done with that for some time now.

Many folks see, smell or hear a rainstorm coming and to the truck they go. Effective deer hunting just ended.

Same with 22 degree weather and a 15 mph NW wind. Nope, the bed looks better.

You need that VALUE to either get or keep you in a tree.

Again, I have seen it way too many times.

ddd-shooter

Mine is only about 15 years old and it came in two small sacks. One for top and one for pants.

Think about this, if yours are 40 years old, they represent deep VALUE.

That is precisely the point of my involvement in this text.

I am not sitting in a tree, soaking wet. I did that in my youth. I have been done with that for some time now.

Many folks see, smell or hear a rainstorm coming and to the truck they go. Effective deer hunting just ended.

Same with 22 degree weather and a 15 mph NW wind. Nope, the bed looks better.

You need that VALUE to either get or keep you in a tree.

Again, I have seen it way too many times.

Yeah mountain ridges in December will make a whimp out of you fast. I swear the wind never stops.

Jim Boyd

Yeah mountain ridges in December will make a whimp out of you fast. I swear the wind never stops.

Amen.

With the right clothes you fend it off.

And stay on stand.

And kill a deer.

sometimes.

sometimes you are just lonely and cold.

But that is better than the truck.

100% WORTH IT. I’d bet most of the haters 1 never tried premium brands or 2 never hunted area that needed them. I prefer Sitka over Kiui, just fits better. All of my friends are onboard with Sitka gear now.

Tight Lines

The answer is, like many things in life, it depends.

One thing I have learned about fly fishing and backpacking in many remote areas with wild weather swings, is good clothing and gear makes a difference, maybe life or death. When you are at 14K feet isn't the time for a zipper to fail, a lace to break, or a jacket to not do it's job in a squall. When you are hours by sea plane to the nearest remote town, isn't the time to be cheap in the gear department.

Do you need it for the camo? No...not likely unless it is turkey, antelope, or mountain goat...

Do you need it for the most part in GA? Only when the weather is very cold or wet...

Is it a worthwhile investment? Maybe...if you hunt more than a little, probably...

The performance fabrics, layering capabiltiies, and design features in my Sitka, First Lite, and Kuiu (only have a piece or two) will keep me warm, dry, safe, and last the rest of my lifetime...if taken care of...most of mine was bought at half off MSRP, and I take care of it...so I get decades out of clothing...

The one thing that eats high end hunting clothing is brambles...

chrislibby88

Dude, a 40 degree super foggy misty mountain morning is the most miserable cold ever. Possibly worse than dry 20 and windy. I’ve got some nice FL cold weather gear and it’s 100% kept me in the tree. I’ve got a 15 year old set of heavy cabelas bibs and jacket with the soft shell on it, and my nice stuff isn’t any warmer, however it is MUCH thinner, much QUIETER and is half the weight. Doesn’t matter if I’m walking 100 yards, but if I have a mile hike in the dark, all uphill, through a laurel thicket then the lighter less bulky stuff is 100% worth every penny. I couldn’t even fit the cabelas insulation in my pack with the other essentials in there.

With the high end stuff you are basically trading more money for less weight and bulk and getting improved breathability, and usually much quieter materials.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I`ve hunted Colorado when it was 0 degrees, 30 mile an hour wind blowing. Sleeping in a tent. I never got as cold out there as I have in a South Georgia swamp when it was in the low 20`s. That`s where I learned the difference between "wet" cold and "dry" cold. Both hurt, but wet cold is meaner. At least to me.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I`ve hunted Colorado when it was 0 degrees, 30 mile an hour wind blowing. Sleeping in a tent. I never got as cold out there as I have in a South Georgia swamp when it was in the low 20`s. That`s where I learned the difference between "wet" cold and "dry" cold. Both hurt, but wet cold is meaner. At least to me.

Yup. Same as arid vs humid. In the Marines I was in 107 one time in Death Valley training. 85 in GA feels WAY hotter!