Is High End Hunting Clothing Really Worth It?

Joe Brandon

Lol!!! Not worth it at all. I’m not a fashion model, but I do have to be careful showing too much leg while hunting. The gals will get to callin’.

View attachment 1156433View attachment 1156434View attachment 1156435

And when it’s too cold to show some leg, I usually wear blue jeans or cargo pants. The camo coat was a Christmas present, and before it is just wear a green AKHG or Carhartt coat.

Yee Yee. Smooches.
View attachment 1156436
Sir I beg to differ. You are in fact one heck of a fashion model!

menhadenman

Most of us grew up in Kmart construction boots and Walls Coveralls. Sure you could still do it, but 40 miles of hiking at 10k and packing mule deer at 5 degrees you’d be miserable.

Hunting hogs last night with my boy I was in a t shirt and garden shoes. But big hunts don’t need cotton.

splatek

UAEC
Exactly!! Some people haven’t tried it so there opinion is against it. I’ve never seen anyone regret getting the good stuff. Same with the high quality boots.

I bought two pieces of first lite bottoms on sale both pieces are in shreds after walking through one briar thicket

Take a pair of wranglers any day.
I do like the first lite light weight merino, but it was a gift.

menhadenman

I bought two pieces of first lite bottoms on sale both pieces are in shreds after walking through one briar thicket

Those wrangler brush pants are legit.

chrislibby88

Really? I have a pair of their rip stop wool pants. They lasted 3 long seasons (aug-May) until the seat finally wore into cheese cloth. I had a few rips and snags in the legs but nothing my wife couldn’t see up in 5 minutes. I wore them almost every hunt too, and hit plenty of briar thickets, I just picked through them carefully. I also have a pair of their stretch nylon pants, and those are almost indestructible.

kayaksteve

That’s a question everyone has to answer for themselves. For me there is certain gear that is worth spending the money on and some gear I prefer to spend as little on as possible. Sometimes I use “cheaper” gear and sacrifice a little comfort or weight because I can’t justify the expense and it works just fine for me. Boots, pants, packs, base layers and things like that I’ve gradually upgraded over time as I replace them because I decided it was worth it to me but, that doesn’t necessarily mean I ran out and outfitted myself in all uniform “name brand” gear. Use what you like and are comfortable with and look for real un-sponsored reviews when making purchases.

ddd-shooter

That’s a question everyone has to answer for themselves. For me there is certain gear that is worth spending the money on and some gear I prefer to spend as little on as possible. Sometimes I use “cheaper” gear and sacrifice a little comfort or weight because I can’t justify the expense and it works just fine for me. Boots, pants, packs, base layers and things like that I’ve gradually upgraded over time as I replace them because I decided it was worth it to me but, that doesn’t necessarily mean I ran out and outfitted myself in all uniform “name brand” gear. Use what you like and are comfortable with and look for real un-sponsored reviews when making purchases.
Same. What pants you running?

kayaksteve

Same. What pants you running?
I have some firstlite guidelite and blackovis granite peak pants for warmer weather and my wife bought me a pair of carhart fleece lined hunting pants for sure enough cold weather. The blackovis and firstlite are good for most of my season with some lightweight merino leggings. I’d really like to give the first lite corrugate foundry a try but I’ve got a couple other items ahead on the list. I’ve started getting away from camo on a lot of my pants because I’ve found I like wearing them year round for fishing or any outdoor activities

splatek

UAEC
Really? I have a pair of their rip stop wool pants. They lasted 3 long seasons (aug-May) until the seat finally wore into cheese cloth. I had a few rips and snags in the legs but nothing my wife couldn’t see up in 5 minutes. I wore them almost every hunt too, and hit plenty of briar thickets, I just picked through them carefully. I also have a pair of their stretch nylon pants, and those are almost indestructible.

I don’t do anything carefully lol
Maybe that’s the problem
I’m still hunting with a bow I made
I did shooting for a new (budget) pack
Other than that I’ll be the homeless looking hunter in the woods

Joe Brandon

I don’t do anything carefully lol
Maybe that’s the problem
I’m still hunting with a bow I made
I did shooting for a new (budget) pack
Other than that I’ll be the homeless looking hunter in the woods
I know first hand First Lite has a customer service department second to none. I promise you they will replace those pants for you. You need to contact them.

bullgator

Hunting in the south?, I’d buy two Thermacells, electronic hearing protection, and a good cooler instead of a $350 jacket.

Lilly001

Wool is still quality. Those folks dress a lot like I do for hunting.
My daddy had one of those black and red checked wool suits.
He hunted PA and NY and never got cold.
He inherited the suit from someone and kept it until he died.
Another sibling got it and let moths get to it otherwise I’m sure it would still be usable today.

kayaksteve

I’ll be honest and admit I’m not man enough to sit on a windy mountain in the 20s in a flannel shirt and blue jeans. But comfort is relative, I’d say the mountain men in the 18th and 19th century were relatively comfortable in their buckskins as we are in our synthetic blends now. They were Buying or making the best thing they could afford the same as we are now