Is it legal?

ucfireman

I'm not going to lie, I have not looked into this in the regs. Asking here is quicker and my mind was just wandering.
Is it legal to use a dog to find and flush a turkey to you? Kind of like quail hunting? If you could get the dog to somehow herd the turkey to your location?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I'm not going to lie, I have not looked into this in the regs. Asking here is quicker and my mind was just wandering.
Is it legal to use a dog to find and flush a turkey to you? Kind of like quail hunting? If you could get the dog to somehow herd the turkey to your location?

Turkeys don`t herd well.

Hillbilly stalker

Very popular method in the mountains hunting the Fall season. Dog bust up the flock and you call them back together with assemble yelps and kee kee's. Put the dog in a kroker sack. My Uncle told me it was started in West Virginia...but he was bad to pull your leg. Cant say if its legal in Georgia. In the Fall season you can shoot a hen too.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I had a lab that would flush turkeys. He would run behind them barking as they flew off.
This was in Texas a long time ago.
He would run jackrabbit too.
They would leave him behind quick.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Well lets say right up front that there is no American Turkey Hound Association.

But I don't recall any prohibition against using a dog on them.

simpleman30

I'm not too proud to admit that I've had a deer hound or two that would trail and borderline run a turkey. It wasn't too bad when I'm the only one that witnessed it and I could correct their mistake and redirect them, but it was a bit embarrassing when that long beard took flight at the road with my dog hot on its trail in front of another club member.

Hillbilly stalker

Need a dog in the hills. A man will just push the flock, a dogs fast enough to scatter them. Them hillbillies will always figure out a way to get a critter dead.

IIICrkRepr

My Weim has almost caught a couple taking flight a few times. Not sure what he was going to do with them if he caught em though.

jaydawg

Very popular method in the mountains hunting the Fall season. Dog bust up the flock and you call them back together with assemble yelps and kee kee's. Put the dog in a kroker sack. My Uncle told me it was started in West Virginia...but he was bad to pull your leg. Cant say if its legal in Georgia. In the Fall season you can shoot a hen too.

Definitely works, and I believe it began in VA...technique used in the fall...locate the flock and the dog scatters them...set up and call ...birds will want to regroup...obviously takes a well trained dog, and setters/spaniels seemed to do well...legal to shoot hens or gobblers in the fall

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Where in the law does it say you can’t use a dog to hunt turkeys ?

Resica

Where in the law does it say you can’t use a dog to hunt turkeys ?
In the spring in Georgia? A dog in the spring wouldn't work. You're not dealing with flocks. You can't hunt birds in the fall in Georgia when trained dogs work well.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
In the spring in Georgia? A dog in the spring wouldn't work. You're not dealing with flocks. You can't hunt birds in the fall in Georgia when trained dogs work well.
Yeah. But it ain’t illegal ?‍♂️