Is there any one on here who has never killed a deer.

FESTUSHAGGIN

GeauxLSU said:
Festus,
Have you never shot one by choice (passed on them) or never had the opportunity to shoot one?
Just curious.

I've only taken 9 and 6 were when I was a teenager (ripe old 40 now). The remaining 3 were the last two seasons. But too many opportunities to count that I passed on for a variety of reasons at the time. Long hiatus in my 20s and very early 30s but back in it and making up for lost time.
the few times i have been huntin I have only seen deer twice both times were in Indiana. You can only Bow shotgun or muzzleload hunt. I did not have a smoke pole or a shotgun that i could use so i had to use my bow. The first time i saw a deer was a monster of a buck with my binoculars i counted ten points and when i went to where he was standing the track was about three inches deep in mostly dry ground. BIG but he was about 100 yds away so wasnt gonna hit him with my bow. The other time i got tired of sitting in my stand and started walking(with my bow) and i topped a ridge and jumped a bunch that had been bedded down i counted 9 and i know there were more. but i never even got the chance to draw. This land is very sweet land but it is in indiana, and belongs to my inlaws. all the other times i have never seen anything. it is just a law of averages. i havent put myself in enough situations to take a shot. i do have acces to some purdy good land both here and indiana but i just dont have enough time. especially now with two children.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Well fes after I finally got the first one under my belt I havent had an empty freezer since the first is the hardest to get,after that the rest come easier. But time in the woods is a great teacher.

BTW I was 22 when I shot my first one and it was a button buck I was almost ready to give it up and that one got me.

I had decided that I know I can catch fish so Ill just fish I am thankful that I was able to hang in there.

GeauxLSU

FESTUSHAGGIN said:
the few times i have been huntin .... i do have acces to some purdy good land both here and indiana but i just dont have enough time. especially now with two children.
Can't help you with the 'time' thing bro. And I know where you're coming from. ;)
Two things I can say for certainty with deer hunting:
1) Many more deer see YOU than you see of them, and
2) That place you just KNOW they will NOT come from so you don't spend time watching it, GUARANTEES they WILL come out there and vice versa.

HuntinRebel3

I killed my first one at 12. Didn't get my second until I was 27!! Didn't get to hunt much while I was in the Air Force. Got my first buck two years ago.

Swab

No whitetails....

under my belt though I have harvested 3 deer total, all were mulies out west and it took many more than 3 seasons to do it. This will be my second season hunting for whitetails and boy let me tell you, from what I have seen so far, it's a whole different world than the western style of hunting. All I have to do is get over my fear of heights and get my tree stand farther than 10 feet up and I might have a chance. :bounce: I beleive though, as someone else stated, it's all about being out in the wild.....I love it no matter what!

Meriwether Mike

By being on Woodys and taking in some of the knowledge shared here the learning curve should be shortened immensely. It took me 3 years to get my first one. Good luck to all on closing the deal this season.

Zippin-z

I was 49 before I started hunting deer, and that was because my 14 yr old son wanted to try it. He gave up after 3 trips to the woods, but I was hooked. My frist was a large doe and had no intentions of shooting, but when she walked up behind me, the hunter in me came out. Since I hunt firearms season everyday, that I can. I've added an 8pt and a 10pt. The frist year was the hardest, because there was so much to learn. The biggest leason was that it takes about 14 trips to the woods before you get the chance to shoot. But I can only hunt WMA's or public land. As some of the above posts explain, I've found that it takes time. experience, and wanting to be there.

Trizey

Good post Festus and I was thinking about this very question a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to post the question though because I have shot deer and didn't want it to be something embarrassing for someone.

Anyone who hasn't killed a deer and would like to, let's get together this season. I'll do my best to put one in your crosshairs or behind your pin.

one_shot_no_mor

Seems like...

Two years since my last kill... :cry:
Seems like "NEVER"... :cry:
You know what they say...
"FEAST OR FAMINE" :huh: :huh:
I'm feelin' like this is the year to FEAST!!!!!! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! :banana: :banana: :banana: