Is this wrong?

GeauxLSU

Ok, here's a real trivial one I know (we've got enough 'heavy' stuff going on already :eek:) , but just curious what you guys think.
Me an my family attend a Catholic church. My wife is not Catholic. I have never and will never 'encourage' her or anyone to join my denomination. I will encourage everyone to seek Christ. Beyond that, it's just not that big of a deal to me. Anyway, that's simply the set up for this.
My wife has the voice of an angel. I'm telling you she can sing like few people I've ever heard. She is VERY shy about it and if I ever compliment her on it, she gets embarassed and stops singing and changes the subject. (She also has an uncanny ability to mimic other's voices). I honestly believe she could have had a professional singing career. I have suggested numerous times she join the choir. Our choir is VERY small and a few of the singers are below average at best but who cares they are praising God. :clap: I'm just making an objective observation.
So a woman gets up last week and tells how she still today can't read a note of music but is an active member in the choir and has been for 5 years and how it's really blessed her and she invites members to consider joining. Well SHE motivated my wife and she joined up! :cool: Could have knocked me over with a feather. :biggrin2:
So here's the issue. The paperwork in the packet she picked up says you must be a 'confirmed member of the church'. She is not. Now, I "assume" that is because they view it like choir members are leading the congregation in prayer and feel only church members should do that. I told her if they ask her if she's a member to tell them the truth but if they don't ask, don't mention it. Is that wrong? I assume it is, but I'm having a HARD time believing it's wrong in God's eyes. I'm less concerned about how the church feels (obviously).
Of course, she could just continue to sing/pray/praise from the pews.
Any similiar 'rules' your church have about non member participation in non official capacities?

Double Barrel BB

GeauxLSU said:
Any similiar 'rules' your church have about non member participation in non official capacities?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is in Communion. We have what some people call a Closed Communion, only offered to members.

Personally if your wife can sing as good as you say she can sing, I would be truthful about the whole thing though. They may decide to overlook the membership thingy. Each church is different, or atleast it is in the Baptist denomination.

Just my 2 cents,
DB BB

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
First thought: she needs to adhere to their rules, second thought I think the church should be understanding to the point that if she likes it(being a member of the choir) then she will join the church, and become a member because of it, which is good.

Dana Young

The only thing I see wrong with it is that technically she would be lying by not being honest and keeping quite about not being a member, But I see no need for someone to join any church or denomination in order to sing praises to the lord.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Tell them that if they don't let her sing you are going to convert to Baptist.

GeauxLSU

The only thing I see wrong with it is that technically she would be lying by not being honest and keeping quite about not being a member, But I see no need for someone to join any church or denomination in order to sing praises to the lord.
Absolutely agree about lying by default, but I'm trying to imagine her at the pearly gates and St. Peter saying.... "Now Terry, you know you didn't fess up about not being a Catholic when you joined the choir."
And her saying remorsefully, "Yes sir." And him saying, looking coyly and smiling, "Well, you know we can't let that go unpunished. Come here and let me give you a big noogie!" :eek:

Dana Young

:biggrin2: Thats funny Phil. Jeff had a good Idea you can always convert to baptist, we don't care who sings in the choir as long as the are worshipping god.:biggrin2:

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tell them that if they don't let her sing you are going to convert to Baptist.

Shoot yeah we let everybody sing.:D

We have a rule that you have to be a member to hold an office sunday school teacher,clerk,treasure, etc. We have [eople in the choir that have been saved but are offically members of another church.

FESTUSHAGGIN

Interesting. Any members that have not been saved?

you cant be a member of a church unless you are saved. or at least have said you were. i have seen people that said or thought they were saved join the church and then later in life actually be saved. at which time if they want to join the church they would be baptized again.

PWalls

Personally, I don't even have an issue with a lost person singing in the choir (I am not implying that your wife is not a Christian, Phil) if that gets them to church on a regular basis to hear a gospel message and praise/worship music. The Holy Spirit will do the rest and I would be amazed if that lost person would come to know Jesus through those experiences.

In my opinion, the Choir can be an awesome tool that the Holy Spirit uses. We should not hamper it with too many trivialities.

Tell them the truth and I imagine that they will still let her sing.

SBG

I believe that being a choir member is a position that needs to be "members only;" and I commend your church for taking that stand.

The choir is a representative of the church, and, obviously, the members of the choir are too.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I believe the choir leader should be a member or employee (Ministry) of the church and he should interview any potential member of the choir. I could certainly see a person that is seeking the truth being allowed and encouraged to participate in the life of the church under the direction of of the choir leader.

Singing the praises of our Lord and being that close to the prayers and preaching could only have a positive influence on such a person.

GeauxLSU

you cant be a member of a church unless you are saved. or at least have said you were. i have seen people that said or thought they were saved join the church and then later in life actually be saved. at which time if they want to join the church they would be baptized again.
I guess this is what is a foreign concept to me. "Membership". I've been attending my church for 4 years now. I'm contributing in multiple ways (including building their new church building) but I am not "a member". I will not "sign up" since I think the concept is ridiculous and completely man made I but will probably have to in order to have my son receive his first communion etc... :rolleyes:
Also, I will admit the concept of requiring someone being 'saved' to be a member, to ME, seems completely backwards. After you are saved, it seems a big point of the church is already passed. I'd personally rather pastor a church of completely unsaved persons than a mutual admiration society (overly harsh term but I'm just trying to make the point, that I don't obviously understand it).
PLEASE nobody take any of that the wrong way in that I honestly don't care one way or the other what the sign on the door says of ANY Christian church you choose to participate in. But I will always admit the formality and rules of different churches are almost always lost on me (including my own).
"Membership" just has a stench of elitism to me and off all the things Christ taught I don't think that falls ANYWHERE in his teachings. Again, my church is as if not more guilty than most so I'm not at all throwing stones. Just expressing frustration I guess.
I guess I say that and on the other hand I was VERY glad when it was suggested pro abortion politicians such as John Kerry be refused communion by the Catholic church. Hey, it's my double standard, I should be able to define it. :eek:

Dana Young

Being a member of a specific church in no way gets you into heaven or gives you special privilidges. Being saved is the only real important thing. so what has been said in some of these posts is that if I came to some of these churches and wanted to sing in your choir then I wouldn't be qualified because I am not a member of your church even though I am a God called preacher, I don't believe god cares wheather I am a member of a specific church or not as long as I am a member of his church which we all are a member of if we are saved.

SBG

Being a member of a specific church in no way gets you into heaven or gives you special privilidges. Being saved is the only real important thing. so what has been said in some of these posts is that if I came to some of these churches and wanted to sing in your choir then I wouldn't be qualified because I am not a member of your church even though I am a God called preacher, I don't believe god cares wheather I am a member of a specific church or not as long as I am a member of his church which we all are a member of if we are saved.

I hear you Brother Dana, and from an emotional standpoint, letting anyone sing in the choir seems the right thing to do; however, I think limiting the choir to only members that are of good report, is prudent and the scripturally responsible course to take.

There must be standards adhered to in our church liturgy.:)

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If she is "saved" let her sing. A "membership" and 75 cents will get you a cup a coffee in Gods eyes. He is concerned about your soul and what you do for him, not what you are a member of.

duckbill

I think some discretion has to used on the part of every church. Whether or not a person is a member may be a little "tight", but I feel some screening should be in place. Churches, now more than ever, must be cautious of "false teachers and divisive people". In most churches I've attended, the members of the choir are looked upon as devoted and active patrons. They are typically involved in everything going on in the church. This usually puts them in a position of great influence on new or casual attenders.
Phil, in your case, I would think the proper thing to do is sit down with the church leaders and discuss it. This would at least show the desire to avoid conflict or controversy.
One piece of advice, though...Don't wear your toga and leave the tamborine at home when you talk to them.:rofl: :rofl: ::ke: .

Dana Young

SBG,
I do agree that the choir members reflect on the church and should be of good report. I was just trying to make a point that members aren't always better than anyone else in setting a good example.