Jamie Newman

GTMODawg

BANNED
Does Jamie Newman serve as a cautionary tale to future CFB players who consider entering the transfer portal? Did the decision to leave Wake cost Newman a pile of money? I think it did without doubt...had he stayed at Wake he would have most likely not hurt his draft stock in the foolishness of COVID. His transferring to UGA was a mistake amplified by his subsequent decision to opt out, in my opinion. Does he make the Eagles roster?

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Sage Surrat was a awesome receiver at WF he opted out as well and didn't get drafted!

TinKnocker

He would have been “the guy” at GA and probably would have done really well under Monkens offense. He cost himself when he opted out.

And who knows why he did it. Was he really scared of COVID? Struggling with the playbook? Was Dwan gonna be the starter over him and that was too much embarrassment after transferring to a “sure thing”? Or did he just get terrible advice?

GTMODawg

BANNED
He would have been “the guy” at GA and probably would have done really well under Monkens offense. He cost himself when he opted out.

And who knows why he did it. Was he really scared of COVID? Struggling with the playbook? Was Dwan gonna be the starter over him and that was too much embarrassment after transferring to a “sure thing”? Or did he just get terrible advice?

That's my take...he could see the writing on the wall, either Mathis or Daniels was going to beat him out and his draft stock would have plummeted....probably on advice of someone who had no idea what they were talking about. Daniels was an unknown as far as the injure was concerned and apparently Mathis looked like the real deal wearing the green no hit 'em jersey but the first time he stepped out of bounds short of a first down for no reason other than there was an opposing defense in the stadium at the time Mathis' fate was sealed...in my opinion. Can't blame Mathis...he'd been through a lot and football may not have seemed so important (although I think he has signed somewhere else).

If Newman proves to be even a third string NFL QB for 4 years or whatever the time frame is that the salary minimum runs them off 2020 could have been much better at UGA had he stayed even if he had eventually lost the job to Daniels or Mathis. Had he looked as good as he did at Wake and had lost the job he would've been drafted, again in my opinion. The transfer portal is bad. Probably fair and necessary but bad for CFB...

TinKnocker

Yeah. Big mistake. Especially considering Dwan flopped and JT wasn’t able to play til game 7. And if Newman had an even lukewarm pulse he’d have played over Stetson. And we know Kirby isn’t comfortable swapping out QBs so the chances JT would have uprooted Newman for game 7-8 are highly unlikely.

Dude did himself a huge disservice.

bullgator

He should have played....period. It wouldn’t matter much if it were UGA or WF, he should have showcased whatever skills he had somewhere. If North Dakota State can produce first rounders, WF can put them in the league.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Mathis was not going to beat Newman out he had no game time experience, the only one that would have would have been Daniels!

Daniels was not cleared to play yet, he opted out because he was a sheep and was scared of "COVID!"
Yes bad advice played into it as well!

Resica

Mathis was not going to beat Newman out he had no game time experience, the only one that would have would have been Daniels!

Daniels was not cleared to play yet, he opted out because he was a sheep and was scared of "COVID!"
Yes bad advice played into it as well!
facepalm:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
He didn’t go to Bama
Pffffttttt....

He being a Thug cost him millions. Not playing on a transfer year bit him in the rear. The only thing that would have guaranteed him anything at Bama was if he was a drug dealer and got caught, he would skate. Fact.

The state of Alabama and the hicks that run it is as simple as anything.

If you scream "Roll Tide", have a jersey #, you can do what you want and when you want. More facts.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Maybe you can enlighten us.

Why did Newman opt out? He was scared of Covid and that was his excuse. Fact.

due to the uncertainties of this year amid a global pandemic I will officially opt out of this football season to prepare for the upcoming 2021 NFL Draft.” Newman said in his statement.

He was going to be the starter. And Daniels was not cleared to start.

treemanjohn

Banned
Newman might be the best sleeper in the draft. The Eagles picked him up undrafted. He has serious skills. Time will tell