Joro spiders in Gilmer County

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Tight Lines

They are invasive right but don't seem to be a problem? I read they eat another invasive, the stink bug? What's the issue with them?

OwlRNothing

They are invasive right but don't seem to be a problem? I read they eat another invasive, the stink bug? What's the issue with them?
I think the main concern is that there may not be a way to control their numbers. Do birds eat these? I have no idea myself if they will cause some native animals/birds to turn to them as a food source or not. So far, they seem to be the "kudzu" of the arachnid world X 100.

OwlRNothing

Hey, are these things big enough that they could be used as target practice? Pellet gun? Airsoft? .22 ? LOL Maybe a new "Joro Season" for 2023? Of course, DNR would need you to buy a new "special" license to shoot 'em probably...

scottyd917

The main problem with em is they are every three feet in the woods. Ive killed a hundred this year seems like. Thanks whoever brought em.
Amazon shipping container at the warehouses in Jackson County....For the past couple of years I have hunted in the vicinity of the warehouses where they originated from, and it's awful.

Stonewall 2

Hey, are these things big enough that they could be used as target practice? Pellet gun? Airsoft? .22 ? LOL Maybe a new "Joro Season" for 2023? Of course, DNR would need you to buy a new "special" license to shoot 'em probably...

I shoot the ones I can’t reach with spray with a red Ryder BB gun. I have to be getting close to a thousand between my house and hunting land.

I seem to have slowed them down seeing less and less on my evening patrols around my house.

Gordief

my place in Dawsonville is covered up... i spray em' w/ Permethrin.10 home brew.
stay up wind... :) . couple squirts & their toast.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve on seen one orb weaver so far this season and we`re generally wrapped up with them in the swamp. Kinda strange not seeing any. I`ve never seen a joro spider. I don`t reckon they`re down here yet.

Duff

I counted 23 joros in one pear tree a couple of weeks ago. They are thick

OwlRNothing

My real fear is anything that flies and stings - but y'all - I think I'm gonna have to even stop reading this thread now. I'm starting to get the willies or woolies or something just from reading and seeing the pics. I think someone needs to invent a flame thrower vest that sprays out just a little lava in front when it comes in contact with a web. :)