Just All Around Good Hardhittin' Auto

siberian1

If the state of Ga and the biologists and powers that be allow the tiny 22 Hornet to be used then I do not see any problem in using the good old 45.

The 22 hornet isnt so tiny. 723 ft pounds out of the muzzle. That is over twice the knockdown of your Good ole 45. If you want to deer hunt with a pistol. Get an accurate 357 magnum revolver. Forget the 10mm..Ammo is too expensive and it can be hard to find.

Cleankill47

WTM45,

If you want a .357 Magnum in an auto pistol, you can get a Magnum Research Desert Eagle in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or .50AE. They even make smaller versions of it so take a look at their website.

Highcotton, just out of curiosity, if you're not really that experienced or familiar with semi-auto pistols, why do you feel the need to get one for this particular purpose? That said, I normally carry a Glock 21 in .45 ACP, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a deer within reasonable range, but I have a 4" barrelled Taurus .357 Mag that I would use the same way and not think twice about it. In all actuality, I would be more comfortable taking a longer shot with the .357..

HighCotton

WTM45,

If you want a .357 Magnum in an auto pistol, you can get a Magnum Research Desert Eagle in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or .50AE. They even make smaller versions of it so take a look at their website.

Highcotton, just out of curiosity, if you're not really that experienced or familiar with semi-auto pistols, why do you feel the need to get one for this particular purpose? That said, I normally carry a Glock 21 in .45 ACP, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a deer within reasonable range, but I have a 4" barrelled Taurus .357 Mag that I would use the same way and not think twice about it. In all actuality, I would be more comfortable taking a longer shot with the .357..

How much experience does anyone have when they purchase their first one? Answer- none. Gotta start somewhere.

WTM45

WTM45,

Like I said, good luck finding a .357 Magnum autoloader that is reliable and accurate.
I owned one in 1990, will not make that mistake twice.

tv_racin_fan

Our first semi auto handgun was the S&W Sigma in 9mm. It ain't anything special and with the DAOish trigger wont be a target competition winner. But we enjoy shooting it just the same. At $310 and a $50 rebate and two extra mags I think it was a bargain. being as it is a bit large for the wife to carry she got herself a Kahr CW9.

If you are looking for something to occasionally hunt with I'd go for something larger than 9mm and with as long a barrel as I could stand. If you just want something to carry as backup and possibly occasionally carry for PD then I would look at the Sigma if it isn't to large for that purpose and if you believe it is then look at a Kahr, I prefer the K9 myself.

Cleankill47

How much experience does anyone have when they purchase their first one? Answer- none. Gotta start somewhere.

I didn't buy my first handun until I had shot one of the same type at the range and liked it, not to mention the month I spent on others I tried and didn't like as much, or the time spent with my uncle, an NRA certified instructor who taught me with several of his handguns and a few drills. Or the qualification I went through to be issued a pistol in the Marines. That's the way it's supposed to be done, just not a whole lot of people believe in showing kids proper handling anymore. Just clearing that up.

And I know a lot of people don't like the Desert Eagle. (I sure don't), but it is an option for what he said he was looking for. I see what you were saying, but it's still available. I think that if I got the conversion available to change my Glock 21 to a 10mm, it would definately be going after a deer as my main gun for once.

Basically, the best idea would be to go to a range and rent a gun that fits your hand well in the caliber you want to try or use. If you like it, get one; and if not, you can always rent another one. As a matter of fact, I'll bet there are people with different types of guns who wouldn't mind going with you for you to try out a few different sizes and styles of handguns. If you're ever in Cobb county, I'd be glad to let you try out my Glock 21 and Taurus .357 Mag revolver. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would be willing to do it, either.

You take care. I really hope you find what you're looking for in a gun. It'll come to you, just keep an eye out for it.

Last edited: