Kansas…….just stupid.

Jetjockey

Kansas quail numbers are just stupid this year. Seems every tree has a quail under it. Pheasants are OK, but we are moving 8-10 coveys a day while pheasant hunting. The snow doesn’t hurt either. The singles are bouroughing under the snow and holding tight as heck.

Attachments

• IMG_4469.jpeg
    IMG_4469.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4466.jpeg
    IMG_4466.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 70
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4465.jpeg
    IMG_4465.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4454.jpeg
    IMG_4454.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 71

Jetjockey

What county are you in? Saw a bunch of quail this weekend in Greenwood Co. Not a single ringneck though...
You need to get another third of the way across the state to get into decent pheasant numbers. We had a good day yesterday on pheasants and a decent number of quail. Today we struggled on pheasants so we switched gears and starting hunting places that hold both. We had to quickly start counting quail because we are getting close to our quail limits, but only 1 pheasant each. Hunting in fresh snow changes everything.

Tight Lines

We were not pheasant hunting, just setting up for deer season for my brother...it was awesome seeing the quail running in the snow! It's definitely not the state it once was for some reason, where we deer hunt even though not the hotspot for pheasant we used to see them regularly on drives and hunting the area...didn't see a single one in Butler, Reno, Greenwood, or Sedgwick in a week there...crazy...

Duff

Looks like a blast JJ! Enjoy!

alphachief

Just got back. Hunted Sand Hill one afternoon for three hours. 3 big coveys…six birds. Spent the rest of our time at Upland Inn.

Jetjockey

Just got back. Hunted Sand Hill one afternoon for three hours. 3 big coveys…six birds. Spent the rest of our time at Upland Inn.
IMO, Upland Inn has become WAY too comercialized. Is Jason still claiming they are wild birds? That place used to be fun, but it’s gotten out of control for my liking. However, from Greensburg north, all the way to the NE border, there are a ton of quail this year.

Last edited:

alphachief

I’ve never considered them wild. Great place to take clients and I always sneak in some public land wild hunts.

Mac

I was in Greensburg 11-22 to 1-24.

Bigearl68

If you used an outfitter would you consider telling which one? I would like to take my dad out for a few days. He hasn’t seen a covey rise behind a dog in 30 years!

Jetjockey

If you used an outfitter would you consider telling which one? I would like to take my dad out for a few days. He hasn’t seen a covey rise behind a dog in 30 years!
We did on this trip, but you don’t need one. I do a couple outfitted trips with my father in law every year, but otherwise, I hunt public land on my own in KS and NE. Hit the central part of KS North and South of I-70 and look for good quail habitat on WIHA lands, and you’ll find birds.