JT, Bubba and Friends Live From The Tree. 18 years strong, but different IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Well I had a good morning.Some of you may remember View attachment 1274780A couple weeks ago I shot a big buck at the bow club and didn’t find even with a dog. This morning after the hunt I went to check a place to hunt. Caught wind of something dead and put my nose to The wind and found the one I shot. I smelt this deer about 300 yards away. Better late than never I guess. Kinda bitter sweet but more sweet!

CONGRATS BROTHER!!! Closure is goooooodddd

LHefner17

Well I had a good morning.Some of you may remember View attachment 1274780A couple weeks ago I shot a big buck at the bow club and didn’t find even with a dog. This morning after the hunt I went to check a place to hunt. Caught wind of something dead and put my nose to The wind and found the one I shot. I smelt this deer about 300 yards away. Better late than never I guess. Kinda bitter sweet but more sweet!
Congrats Mike great deer !!!!!

Havana Dude

I know, this is LFTT, but I had mentioned my knee problem in an earlier post. Long story short, saw surgeon yesterday. He said I need surgery to correct the problem. It’s a torn meniscus. He did say however, as far as knee surgeries go, it’s one of the simpler ones, so that’s good. 4-5 days on crutches, then he said I should be good to go. Waiting on my doc to fax them a form saying I’m fit for surgery, then we schedule.

Bucaramus

I know, this is LFTT, but I had mentioned my knee problem in an earlier post. Long story short, saw surgeon yesterday. He said I need surgery to correct the problem. It’s a torn meniscus. He did say however, as far as knee surgeries go, it’s one of the simpler ones, so that’s good. 4-5 days on crutches, then he said I should be good to go. Waiting on my doc to fax them a form saying I’m fit for surgery, then we schedule.
I've got a torn meniscus too but the doctor told me all they could do was go in and scrape it. No surgical repair due to "my age".

Ace1313

I have been hunting hard the last three weeks here in SWGA. I have had some close calls with a giant on my permission places just didn’t work out. I got drawn for the Chickasawhatchee hunt this year and got a really nice buck.

I got up early Thursday morning a went and checked some of my pinned spots and they either had tape or a vehicle parked at it. My brother and I hunted near this spot last year and when I pulled into the foot path no tape, no truck. Looked at the map picked a decent spot about a quarter of a mile in.

Took a few minutes to find the right tree in the dark without knowing much about what I would be looking at come daylight. Once settled way before light. Relaxed and tried to cool off.

Once dawn started breaking I realized I had positioned my climber facing the wrong side of the tree. As quickly and quietly as possible I moved to the other side. About that time it was legal light so I hit the grunt call a few times. Not 5 minutes later I see the top of a tree moving. Quickly threw up the binos and saw it was a pretty good buck. I couldn’t tell a lot about the deer other than I wanted him. I picked a hole out in his line of travel and squeezed a shot. I must have hit some brush and the deer bolted back into the clear looking back. I quickly got on him and shot again. He started running hard and hunched up. I tried one more shot before he got clear and a clean miss.

I gather my wits and went down and found blood, and went back to the stand to let the daylight get better. Sat until 9 then went down and found a solid pile of blood and some lung. Started tracking a at times good blood trail and other times not so good. I started getting worried as the deer had traveled over 150 yards.

I followed the blood into a hardwood bottom still very steady blood. I stopped and got my bearings and my very much alive buck was bedded with his head up about 25 yards away in a slight depression. I eased the gun up and took a shot at his upper neck. The deer bolted at the shot! I know I didn’t just mess this up. I started following his tracks and the blood was really pouring out of him.

We crossed into another hardwood patch I came around a log and there he lay. What an exciting hunt!! My biggest Public Land deer and one of the finest hunting experiences I have ever had. If it was for my buddy I would still be dragging him out as from were he died to the truck was 1000 yards through short pines and thickets. Got to meet @Blackston at the skinning rack. He is a great guy.

The first time I saw the buck clearly is when he was laying there in the sunshine and realized I had killed a true public land good’un

Attachments

• IMG_5565.jpeg
    IMG_5565.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5826.jpeg
    IMG_5826.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have been hunting hard the last three weeks here in SWGA. I have had some close calls with a giant on my permission places just didn’t work out. I got drawn for the Chickasawhatchee hunt this year and got a really nice buck.

I got up early Thursday morning a went and checked some of my pinned spots and they either had tape or a vehicle parked at it. My brother and I hunted near this spot last year and when I pulled into the foot path no tape, no truck. Looked at the map picked a decent spot about a quarter of a mile in.

Took a few minutes to find the right tree in the dark without knowing much about what I would be looking at come daylight. Once settled way before light. Relaxed and tried to cool off.

Once dawn started breaking I realized I had positioned my climber facing the wrong side of the tree. As quickly and quietly as possible I moved to the other side. About that time it was legal light so I hit the grunt call a few times. Not 5 minutes later I see the top of a tree moving. Quickly threw up the binos and saw it was a pretty good buck. I couldn’t tell a lot about the deer other than I wanted him. I picked a hole out in his line of travel and squeezed a shot. I must have hit some brush and the deer bolted back into the clear looking back. I quickly got on him and shot again. He started running hard and hunched up. I tried one more shot before he got clear and a clean miss.

I gather my wits and went down and found blood, and went back to the stand to let the daylight get better. Sat until 9 then went down and found a solid pile of blood and some lung. Started tracking a at times good blood trail and other times not so good. I started getting worried as the deer had traveled over 150 yards.

I followed the blood into a hardwood bottom still very steady blood. I stopped and got my bearings and my very much alive buck was bedded with his head up about 25 yards away in a slight depression. I eased the gun up and took a shot at his upper neck. The deer bolted at the shot! I know I didn’t just mess this up. I started following his tracks and the blood was really pouring out of him.

We crossed into another hardwood patch I came around a log and there he lay. What an exciting hunt!! My biggest Public Land deer and one of the finest hunting experiences I have ever had. If it was for my buddy I would still be dragging him out as from were he died to the truck was 1000 yards through short pines and thickets. Got to meet @Blackston at the skinning rack. He is a great guy. The first time I saw him and realized I had killed a true public land nice one is when I walked up in him.

That's good stuff!!!! Congrats Ace

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote

We crossed into another hardwood patch I came around a log and there he lay. What an exciting hunt!! My biggest Public Land deer and one of the finest hunting experiences I have ever had. If it was for my buddy I would still be dragging him out as from were he died to the truck was 1000 yards through short pines and thickets. Got to meet @Blackston at the skinning rack. He is a great guy.

The first time I saw the buck clearly is when he was laying there in the sunshine and realized I had killed a true public land good’un
Man that’s awesome!

flatsmaster

Great buck and story …. CONGRATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts