kayak smell

aznflycaster

I have a question about the smell in the kayak. Here is the situation first, I live in a apartment and don't have anywhere to store the kayak except on the truck year round. I know it is a bad thing but its better than fishing from the bank. We'll there has been this smell that is getting pretty nasty now. I believe it is from the foam and pool noodles inside. I plan to remove them and stuff a bunch of plastic bottles into it to restore the positive bouyancy just in case. Just curious if i was the only one dealing with this issue, and to see if there were any other ideas of fixing this.

GONoob

When I store my kayaks I open up the hatch to let all the moisture out. Not sure if you can get away with it being on a truck

frankwright

What kind of foam do you have in there? I am wondering if that can be it and maybe holding moisture.

I keep mine in the garage and I have two or three pool noodles inside it also. I also have my PFD and some other stuff that stays inside all the time. I just opened the hatch and sniffed and it smells fine.
I would check the foam first.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
Just curious- what is the foam for?

for floatation . it displaces the water "just in case"

azn, for bad smells you may want to open the hatch and put a mesh bag filled with charcoal briquetts in it. the charcoal has saved an old stinky fridge, it will work in a yak !

aznflycaster

My paticular kayak has foam in it because the type of plastic it is made out of is not neutraly bouyant, some have it and some dont. It is there in case it gets swamped. I let it air out alittle and rinsed it out with a light bleach solution and the smell is gone for now.