Kobe Bryant

Gold Ranger

Always hated Kobeas a player (I hate the Lakers) until his last couple of years. That was when I realized that he was the last of an era. An era when MEN played basketball.

BamaGeorgialine

If it weren't for the NBA many thugs and drug dealers would never make it out of the hood,,,, so they can buy ridiculously expensive cars instead of stealing them, and have access to better quality drugs , instead of the junk they sold at the neighborhood BB courts, and of course access to prettier women,,, and of course the Kardashian girls,,,,, all very good reasons I won't watch the NBA.

I haven't watched a BB game since I was a kid,,, and never will again,,, I didn't know any better back then,,,
I think that the fact that he had wrote best selling children's books, started a recreational center, won an Oscar and several other things made him a little different than the THUGS that you speak of. I wasn't his biggest fan either. Maybe I always look for the good in people and maybe that's a fault of mine

stonecreek

Always hated Kobeas a player (I hate the Lakers) until his last couple of years. That was when I realized that he was the last of an era. An era when MEN played basketball.
Well said! One of the reasons why both the NBA and NFL have lost the appeal to an older generation is the watered down version of the leagues. Kobe had the same genes as Jordan and Bird. Fearless and win at all cost. When they knew that driving to the basket was going to lead to hard fouls etc... when teams like the Pistons, Bulls, Celtics and Lakers were going to challenge you the entire game. The game has changed. Same with the NFL. Players like Lambert, Butkus, Lott and many more would be run out of this version of football. The rage now is for "mobile" quarterbacks. Back in the day a mobile QB was a quick trip to injury list.

specialk

Could yall imagine if we had social media when Elvis or JFK or MLK or Pat Tillman or Princess Di died or when the shuttle blew up killing the crew? None of these people were perfect, but they all touched millions in their own way. If we had social media like we do now, we would be seeing the same thing.

This man's life was no better than anyone else's, but the fact that used his platform to touch and inspire millions of people around the globe is why he is getting the coverage. If a plane went down today that had 100 people on it, but only one of those folks was my mother...I can promise you I would grieve much more so for her than the other 99. She wouldnt be any better than the others, but she would have touched my life in a different way and I would have a connection with her that I didnt have for the others.

You dont have to understand it, dont have to agree with it, dont have to like it, dont have to go along with it, but Kobe Bryant was seen as an inspiration, roll model and friend for a ton of folks (along with a ton of social media bandwagoners) and they are currently grieving.

Not sure why this is difficult for folks to understand. Even if some of you didnt personally see him as an icon, others did and your opinion or outlook is no better or more important than their opinion or outlook.

kudos JT......i don't watch stick and ball sports no more, culture to me changed in the early 90's and i gave them all up but continued to follow nascar and still go to 4 or 5 major races a year. my ''hero'' was dale earnhardt and when he died i felt like ''what i'm i gonna do now''......i know what basketball fans and especially kobe fans are feeling even though he has been retired for a few years......

BornToHuntAndFish

Looks like a lot of happiness.......

Reckon that family & the other families in the unfortunate crash had happier days in the past with lots of good memories they will have the rest of their lifetimes. More motivation to live life with no regrets & make the most out of each day with those we care about.

Gold Ranger

Well said! One of the reasons why both the NBA and NFL have lost the appeal to an older generation is the watered down version of the leagues. Kobe had the same genes as Jordan and Bird. Fearless and win at all cost. When they knew that driving to the basket was going to lead to hard fouls etc... when teams like the Pistons, Bulls, Celtics and Lakers were going to challenge you the entire game. The game has changed. Same with the NFL. Players like Lambert, Butkus, Lott and many more would be run out of this version of football. The rage now is for "mobile" quarterbacks. Back in the day a mobile QB was a quick trip to injury list.
Yep. That is why Lebron will never surpass Jordan or Kobe. They would step on their mother's throat to win a regular season game. Now, the NBA is a "buddy" league. They are all friends and will stomp their feet and hold their breath until they get to play with their buddy.

REDMOND1858

The guy might have been a great guy, and evidently was a great player, but the coverage given to this shows how messed up and misplaced our society values are in this day and time ! He played Basketball, he didn't fight for our country, or serve as a first responder protecting people or saving lives, its sad he and the others lost their lives, especially the daughter, as she likely had no say in how she traveled, but people are acting like this guy was the savior of mankind or something ?

There are people that are killed all the time that have done more for our country or mankind in general that never get mentioned in the news ! Our society puts way too much emphasis on sports and players, we make millionaires out of them because of our buying tickets and merchandise, or watching them on tv, and then envy them for their fame and fortune . Most of those players do not deserve the recognition or notoriety they have, many are not someone we would want to be associated with if we knew what kind of person they really were .

I’m not one to really care about celebrity’s, but to compare celebritys/athletes to first responders and soldiers is like comparing apples to oranges. Nothing alike.

First reaponders don’t do what they do for recognition or for publicity, on the other hand, that is a celebrity’s job. Most first responders like flying under the radar, and want zero publicity I promise.
There are plenty of bad athletes out there, and plenty of good ones. They get paid to be on the big stage. And contrary to what Some believe, sports are pretty important. They do bring a lot of people together. They create tons of jobs. And they do make a difference in a kid growing up. Sports is where a lot of kids learn work ethic. Kids who would otherwise learn it from nowhere else. Athletes may not put their lives on the line, but to a lot of folks they do make a difference. Look at the Yankees after 9/11, the saints after Katrina.

Last edited:

REDMOND1858

That woman is ignorant and uneducated, as evidently her supporters are, Kobe never put his life on the line for his country, or for a total stranger, never saved anyone's life, never put himself in danger protecting others, people that do that on a daily basis never get this kind of remembrance when they are killed in the line of duty, or in a tragic accident. Sorry the guy died, and the others with him, especially the youngsters, as their life was just beginning, but I don't see him as deserving of the kind of admiration he is receiving. He put his pants on just like we all do, one leg at a time.

The ones who put their lives on the line every day don’t do it so their funeral can be broadcasted on nbc. They don’t want the camera on their face. They aren’t big fans of interviews, And they could care less of you ever know their name. Iv never seen a president or a preacher put their life on the line, but I’d say they are pretty important too

REDMOND1858

If it weren't for the NBA many thugs and drug dealers would never make it out of the hood,,,, so they can buy ridiculously expensive cars instead of stealing them, and have access to better quality drugs , instead of the junk they sold at the neighborhood BB courts, and of course access to prettier women,,, and of course the Kardashian girls,,,,, all very good reasons I won't watch the NBA.

I haven't watched a BB game since I was a kid,,, and never will again,,, I didn't know any better back then,,,

So since the NBA gets kids that would be thugs out of the hood, and gives kids hope that there could be a better life than selling drugs and killing people, you don’t watch BB??? Not sure I get your logic.

For the record, I haven’t watched a BB game in 15 years

riprap

I was shocked to hear about the accident and I'm sure he had a big connection to LA and the Lakers but I can't see how this is still a national story? I keep up with most sports besides hockey. Kobe is a name that is rarely brought up. When the sports talk shows start debating about the greatest players it usually ends up as a debate between LeBron and Jordan. It's not like he's normally is the spotlight. IMO a bigger national story would have been shaq or Barkley since they are TV more. Usually when i hear Kobe's name, Barkley is ragging Shaq that Kobe carried him in LA.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
I did read where he & his wife gave millions to charities over the years.
He did a lot of things like that!

Post #103 is really how I feel, who are we to judge?
Kobe has already stood in judgement in front of God, only the Good Lord knows where his heart was/is!

I trust God’s judgement not mans!

Wasn’t directed at you buddy!!

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Yep. That is why Lebron will never surpass Jordan or Kobe. They would step on their mother's throat to win a regular season game. Now, the NBA is a "buddy" league. They are all friends and will stomp their feet and hold their breath until they get to play with their buddy.
not to mention that defense is a fur n word to Lebron

BornToHuntAndFish

News reports include expectations of a Super Bowl Halftime tribute about this incident on the weekend.

Time = 2:11

Final Moments Before Kobe Byrant’s Helicopter Crashed
Inside Edition

Jan 29, 2020
New video shows Kobe Bryant's doomed helicopter just minutes from disaster. You can see the chopper disappear into the clouds. Thirteen minutes later, home security cameras captured the sound of the helicopter passing over this neighborhood and then the moment of impact. The wreckage of the downed helicopter has now been airlifted out of the crash site and transported on the back of a truck for further investigation.

Time = 1:39

Vanessa Bryant Pens Tearful Goodbye to Kobe and Gianna
Inside Edition

Jan 30, 2020
Kobe Bryant’s widow, Vanessa, opened up to the public for the first time on Thursday, just days after her husband and daughter were killed in a helicopter crash. The widow made her Instagram account public and posted a heartfelt and deeply moving statement alongside a family photo: “I’m not sure what our lives hold beyond today and it’s impossible to imagine life without them. But we wake up each day trying to keep pushing because Kobe and our baby girl Gigi are shining on us to light the way.”