Ladder Stands ?

B. White

This for me too. Easier to set up and plenty of room. Plus they are cheaper. Double stands are really heavy and you need 2-3 guys to get them set up. 1.5s are a 2 man job. Easy

I like the 1.5 after a couple of years of use. The big game version from Bass Pro was easy to put together and the mesh seat is very comfortable. I have them well concealed on hill tops, so I haven't used the lower section of the ladder. Was easy to stand it up by myself.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One suggestion I've learned over the years: Use a chain and turnbuckles to secure it to the tree at the top instead of a ratchet strap if you can. Those straps will rot and degrade if the sun hits them, and squirrels will gnaw them in two sometimes. When you're fifteen feet off the ground isn't the time to suddenly discover that. Also, if you leave it set up on the same tree for multiple seasons, you need to adjust it to allow for tree growth.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree

sleepr71

Depends on if this is a temporary spot,or a permanent spot..;). If it’s a permanent spot…I’ll put a 2-man up,Camo netting around it,with a Canvas roof overhead. Next thing to a box stand as far as comfort & being able to shoot in all directions..in everything but a downpour.

outdoorman

I usually hunt by myself and have no help to set up stands. Remember that when making your decision.

If I had @Jim Thompson to set them up for me, I'd buy all Millennium two man and sit back and watch. :p
Sounds like me. Since none of my relatives are interested in hunting, I am on my own when it comes to setting up (unless I can ever get my brother away from his new wife long enough to help).

outdoorman

One suggestion I've learned over the years: Use a chain and turnbuckles to secure it to the tree at the top instead of a ratchet strap if you can. Those straps will rot and degrade if the sun hits them, and squirrels will gnaw them in two sometimes. When you're fifteen feet off the ground isn't the time to suddenly discover that. Also, if you leave it set up on the same tree for multiple seasons, you need to adjust it to allow for tree growth.
How heavy chain do you recommend?

Toliver

How heavy chain do you recommend?
We built our own wood ladder stands back in the 80s and used chain and turn buckles then. At the end of the season we loosened them all so the tree could do its warm weather growing. Then we tightened them all again usually when we went down for the dove opener. If I remember the chain correctly it was kinda like swingset chain but about half again as heavy. Maybe twice but not any heavier than that. I wish I could tell you what actual gauge it was.

sleepr71

Swingset chain & a small turnbuckle are all I use. Plenty strong enough & Squirrels won’t gnaw it like they will a rope,or ratchet strap.

Latest posts