Learn to tie flies -- Tuesday, March 1, and Thursday, March 3, live via Zoom

Steve Hudson

Would you (or someone you know) like to learn to tie flies? Then you'll want to be a part of Fly Tying 101, a special online introductory course in fly tying!

An overview of the course:
Presented live via Zoom on Tuesday, March 1, and Thursday, March 3, this class is designed for folks who have never tied before as well as for those who would like to brush up on basic skills.

Each session will go from 7 p.m. till about 9:30 p.m., with a break in the middle. You should plan to attend both sessions.

The emphasis in this course will be on learning key skills that every tyer needs to master. Along the way you'll tie several great patterns that you can put to use right away, and when we're done you'll have the skills you'll need to jump feet-first into the fascinating and rewarding world of fly tying.

Is there a book for the course?
Yes. This course will use the book FLY TYING 101 by me (Steve Hudson) as its text.

Materials and tools for the Fly Tying 101 course:
Following this announcement, there's a list of the materials that we will be using. Please drop me a PM if you need info on getting the necessary tying materials for the course.

In addition to materials, you'll need some tools: a tying vise, fly tying scissors, a bobbin (thread holder), and a knot tying tool known as a "half hitch tool." I recommend that you visit your local fly shop to discuss the many tool options that are available and to find the tools (especially the vise) that best suits your needs and your budget.

How do I sign up?
if possible, please drop me a PM to let me know that you would like to be a part of the course. That will help me plan the pacing so you get the most out of our time together. Thank you!

Cost?
There is no charge to be a part of this special online Fly Tying 101 course, and all are welcome!

Zoom log-in
Here's the Zoom log-in for the course:
Meeting ID: 895 8370 9681
Passcode (case-sensitive): FT101

------

Fly Tying 101 online introduction to fly tying course

Consolidated materials list

Here is a list of the materials that will be used in the class:

Hooks
* Size 8 2XL or 3XL (Woolly Bugger-style) hooks
* Size 10 and/or size 12 hook (dry fly style hook) standard length or 1XL

Thread:
* 3/0 or Veevus 6/0 red
* 3/0 or Veevus 6/0 black

Chenille:
* Black standard-size chenille
* Green standard-size chenille
* "Ultra Chenille" (suitable for San Juan Worms) in red, pink, and/or burgundy

Yarn:
* Red yarn (baby blanket-type yarn)
* Pink yarn (baby blanket-type yarn)

Feathers:
* Black marabou
* Olive marabou
* Woolly Bugger hackle feathers – A good way to get these is to get a “Woolly Bugger Pack,” which includes feathers chosen for this application, or in a pack of “strung hackle.” Colors: Natural grizzly (a gray/white barred feather – my personal favorite!) or other colors including olive, tan, or even solid black or olive.

Hair:
Straight-cut rabbit, regular width. Many colors (black, olive, tan, brown, chartreuse, firetiger, etc.) can be used.

Beads and such:
* Gold- or silver-colored brass beads (to fit that size 8 Woolly Bugger hook)
* Glass beads (large) – included in the materials kit, but optional
* Bead chain (gold or silver color)

Other materials:
* Flash material (silver or pearl)
* Ribbing wire
* 3mm foam sheet
* Stranded rubber leg material

In addition to the tying materials, you’ll also need the following items in the “tools” category:

1) A tying vise (it’s only job is to hold the hook – get one that you’re comfortable with!)
2) Fly tying scissors (get good ones!)
3) A fly tying bobbin (this holds the thread spool while you tie)
4) A bobbin threader tool (inexpensive…and makes life MUCH easier!)
5) A half hitch tool (often sold as a set of three – also inexpensive, and sure to become a favorite tool!)
6) Some Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails clear nail polish (to use as head cement)
7) A small butane lighter
8) Optional but recommended: A fine-tip dispenser bottle for dispensing the head cement

Ver 02 2022 ##