Leaving spent shells in a public dove field...is it legal?

Killer Kyle

Just curious....Are spent shotgun shells left laying in a dove field considered litter... or not? I recently moved to middle GA and went to the dove fields on Clybel WMA just to watch. I didn't apply or get drawn for a hunt. I just went to watch the shoots and had a blast watching others have a good time and drop birds. It was a spectator event, and it was a lot of fun. These last 2 days after the shoots I walked the fields in the evenings picking up spent shells hunters left. I filled almost an entire 50 gallon contractor bag full of this year's shotgun shells in the last 2 days. +- 10 hrs of back breaking work stooping over to pick up freshly spent shells (I did include some old shells too if they were easy picking. Many or most have been disked under during field prep this spring I think). At this point, I estimate that I've picked up maybe 4,000-5,000 spent shells in the last 2 days. Seriously back-breaking work.
I'm just wondering about some things...
If you consider yourself a bona fide hunter, why would you leave your garbage in a field like this? Is it not littering if you spend shells, and leave the plastic and brass hulls lying there where you sat for several hours? The most shells I picked up at one single stand from dove hunters was 138 hulls. Those were fresh hulls from Saturday's hunt. It was a mix of 12 gauge, 20 gauge, and .410 shells. The runner up in that same field was a single stand with 116 spent hulls. It was clearly obvious that these were stands with adults as well as youth. Is it not a poor example for youth to be taught that leaving your garbage at the field edge is acceptable?
About 90% of the dove stands I checked in the last 2 days left their spent hulls on the ground. That's 9 out of 10 dove hunters +-.
How can we hunters as a whole fight for gun rights and claim to be sportsmen who further conservation, yet who are so completely lazy that we can't spend one single minute to pick up our spent hulls at the end of a shoot? It only takes about one minute. I have literally picked up thousands of hulls in just the last 2 days alone. I didn't bother with the shot cups and wads. There is just more than I can collect aside from the spent shells. This incredible amount of plastic is being left to become a significant component of our soil on the WMA'S in the dove fields. It can't be good for the wildlife, and also for the crops and human consumers.
Am I completely crazy? Does DNR need to check each hunter as they leave the fields and make them dump spent hulls? Would emplacing a garbage can with a liner and a sign be the answer? If each dove field has say at least 1,000 spent hulls lying on it each season, can we not call this littering? Can we not agree that this is a citable offense? After the last 2 days of work (on my days off) picking up spent shells after one single quota hunt, I have never been more disappointed in us hunters as a whole. These are our public lands and ours to help manage as stewards of the land, and the dove hunters on Clybel as a whole have failed miserably. There is indeed the few out there that did it right. They had a good shoot, enjoyed it (despite the heat), then policed up their shells and went home. That is how mature and responsible hunters should behave. I hope that those reading this post will be inspired and reminded to do our part and to police up other hunters. Lets keep our public lands beautiful and pristine, and places we all are and can be proud of. If you hunt a public field soon and see others leaving their garbage on the field, man up and say something to them. Ask them if they forgot their spent shells. Don't be shy. Manage yourselves and others. At this point, all we know is that plastics are becoming an increasing component of our soils. We don't know if or how that may affect us, so let's keep the issue at bay by picking up our trash! Lets all try to do better and leave our resources better than we found them!
After picking up this garbage and scouting Clybel the last 2 days, I will be hunting the WMA this Saturday. If y'all want to meet up and shoot together, I'd be glad to meet up, or at least say hi and shake a hand.
Lets all exhibit the behavior that sportsmen should. Lets uphold the banner of stewardship, and keep our public lands in a state where we all can be proud of them!

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Holy Long Post. ?

But yeah. To make sportsman and women responsible for their trash is a good thing.

4-H Shoots on our back fields year round. They bring their own Herby- Curby cans. I've never counted but I'd say prolly 20 of them.

They have some designated for trash and some for spent shotgun shells. (Good place to get up some hulls to reload)

Just clean up after yourself. Should be a no brainer.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve always picked mine up private or public , I was actually at a private shoot this weekend and when I left to go get my truck to come pick up my dad and daughter and all of our gear my daughter had already picked up all of ours , kids do pay attention to what we do !

Rabun

I always pickup my shells. I consider anything left behind as littler unless it's bio matter (guts and carcass). Very good of you to pickup after others....pure laziness if you don't take care of your own litter.

Jbog, they make a pickup stick for shells that has a magnet on the tip. Used them at a sporting clays course. They are a back saver for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/MOJO-Outdoors-Magnetic-Shotgun-Retriever/dp/B00CJRO648

one can be fabricated for much less

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Kudos to you Kyle. I haven't been on that hunt since they started the quota. What you described are slob hunters. I can't believe so many take that hunt for granted like that. Unbelievable

Gator89

Growing up in the 70s & 80s, nobody except the reloaders picked up empties. Given all the shells we burned through, it was surprising how fast they disappeared. I plowed a lot of hulls under when the dove hunting played out.

i have never shot dove on public land.

across the river

In most situations, if everyone owns it, then no one takes ownership of it. That goes for public housing, public dove fields, public schools (zoning makes some better than others), or public transit. Unfortunately, this entitled mentality(leaving shells in a field is just that) is getting worse, so I am afraid it is what it is. That is why it is a very rare occasion now a days that I hunt public land of any sort. 20 years that was not the case.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It is most definitely trash...Pinelog used to have a garbage can on the dove fields but it wasn’t there the other day. Tough to leave spent shells when you ain’t spending them, but pick them up when I do too......I’ve been picking up other folks trash since I’ve been going out there, but I cant say I’ve picked up others shell casings.
Good on ya Kyle!

chrisn1818

I pick up a bag full of trash each time I am on a public field. Barry College, Pine Log, Crockford Pigeon Mtn and West Point WMA’s all had tons of trash left on them each time I have been there and hunted. It really is sad. Crockford Pigeon Mountain had shells laying in the gravel road running along the side of the field. Would have been real easy to find/pick up those hulls but there they were. I tell my kids the people who leave trash should get a littering ticket. They do it if you throw a cigarette butt on the highway so why not hulls, water bottles, Debbie wrappers and the likes on dove fields. It would actually be easy to tell who did some of it based on where they are sitting. Especially on quota hunts.

mose

I saw the same on opening day at Richmond Hill.

LittleDrummerBoy

What about all that shot left behind?

I pick up shells and cartridge cases when hunting, but don't chase wads or projectiles.

But I'm sure through the years I've left my share of cases and spent shells due to difficulty finding or retrieving them. I don't lose any sleep over it. When all is said and done, I think I'll probably carry out lots more garbage from public hunting and fishing areas than I leave.

Turkeytider

What about all that shot left behind?

I pick up shells and cartridge cases when hunting, but don't chase wads or projectiles.

But I'm sure through the years I've left my share of cases and spent shells due to difficulty finding or retrieving them. I don't lose any sleep over it. When all is said and done, I think I'll probably carry out lots more garbage from public hunting and fishing areas than I leave.

We`ve all left some behind. I know I have, particularly hunting quail and hunting ducks in a marsh. Sometimes, even in a dove field, they`ll get lost. I think it`s just good to do your best to pick up what you can.

Mac

Last Saturday we picked up our hulls and empty water bottles, Leave the place as we found it.