Leaving spent shells in a public dove field...is it legal?

Killer Kyle

Thanks guys. You are correct in that we have all accidentally left things we could not find. You simply cannot find it all and all of the time. Lots of cartridges get ejected into the brambles or hedges, or in the water like when duck hunting. Completely understandable. But the scattered piles of shells is what gets me. I'm going to go out this week and get some more. I know that there'll be no shortage! Happy hunting y'all and keep up the good work guys!!!

BriarPatch99

The field I shot in this morning was littered with Blue Rio 1 1/4 oz high brass hulls .... I picked up all that would fit in the side pocket on my dove bucket ....

I did pick up every one of mine ....

The folks that own the VPA area has threatened to get out of the program because of the trash folks leave ..... that would be a shame to loose a place to shoot because of "trashy" hunters.....

chrisn1818

Me and my twin boys picked up 42 hulls off of JL Lester yesterday. Just blows my mind. That being said if anyone wants to invite me on a shoot one day I am safe and I will clean up your field ?

madsam

My Co from boot would tell us if you don't take the time to polish the back of your
boots you proably don't wipe either.........I always pick up my empty shells.
Common courtesy. This year ,my son started picking them up before I did.
I took that as a compliment.

Etoncathunter

Same here I pick up all mine I can find and was proud to see my son do so as well before I did this year. I asked him why he did and he said "duh, it's like you teach us in cub scouts, Leave No Trace." I'm glad at least one kid was paying attention to all the lnt stuff we covered.

Huntsman.45

I was always taught that if you get invited to hunt or fish (private or public land), try to leave it better than what you found it! Occasionally you might lose a hull or two but I make every effort to pick up my hulls and any trash that I find.

basstrkr

I always pick up my hulls. On public land I have picked up a lot too along with many live shells, two pocket knives, two camo caps, decoys, drinks and a merle haggard tape.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
We`ve all left some behind. I know I have, particularly hunting quail and hunting ducks in a marsh. Sometimes, even in a dove field, they`ll get lost. I think it`s just good to do your best to pick up what you can.

It is definitely tougher when Quail hunting, and especially if you are chasing singles. I try but always miss some.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
The last shoot I went to last year I went the day after opening day. There were piles of spent shells and dead birds left all over the field. Along with water and Gatorade bottles. I’ve always tried to pick all of mine up and teach my boys the same.

Turkeytider

The last shoot I went to last year I went the day after opening day. There were piles of spent shells and dead birds left all over the field. Along with water and Gatorade bottles. I’ve always tried to pick all of mine up and teach my boys the same.

All those shells, dead birds and trash say a lot about how those guys were raised. No dignity, no pride, little if any respect for others or the planet.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Has anyone decided or confirmed if it’s illegal/ littering to leave them ?

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I take a trash bag and pick up all my litter including shells. Teach my kids to do the same. I never get them all, but i do make an effort at it. This year i decided to pick them up as i go instead of after its over

Mark K

Banned
We’ve had farmers tell us not to worry about it. We’ve just always cleaned up behind ourselves anyways. Besides, don’t want anyone finding “the spot” to sit, lol.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I believe in leaving no trace no matter if in the field, woods or water. I even hate leaving footprints for someone to follow.

Latest posts